Douglas and Lincoln: slavery?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:55:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Douglas and Lincoln: slavery?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Douglas and Lincoln: slavery?  (Read 6347 times)
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 24, 2007, 10:12:04 PM »

I forget.  but out of all of the 4 candidates in 1860, weren't Abe Lincoln and Stephen Douglas close on their slavery positions?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 01:21:48 AM »

If I recall correctly, Lincoln was in favor of abolition, while Douglas was in favor of leaving it up to the states.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 06:25:36 AM »

If I recall correctly, Lincoln was in favor of abolition, while Douglas was in favor of leaving it up to the states.
Lincoln was not (publicly) in favor of abolition. He was in favor of banning it in DC and the territories, though. Douglas was in favor of allowing the residents of a territory to ban it, which amounted, in practice, to the same thing. As everybody knew.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 03:27:18 PM »

Lincoln was in favor of a constitutional amendment to guarantee the existence of slavery in the Southern states.  However, it wanted it banned in all the territories (although if a free territory wanted to be admitted as a slave state, he would concede that).  Douglas was in favor of popular sovereignty, where voters in a territory, either through a direct vote or through an elected legislature or through the formation of a state constitution, would either become slave or free.  However, this pissed off the South who felt slaves should be able to brought into any state (Dred Scott).
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 07:12:39 PM »

Lincoln was not (publicly) in favor of abolition. He was in favor of banning it in DC and the territories, though. Douglas was in favor of allowing the residents of a territory to ban it, which amounted, in practice, to the same thing. As everybody knew.

More important was that Lincoln's Republican supporters were adamantly anti-slavery while the Northern Democrats (though not necessarily Douglas specifically) were only half-heartedly anti-slavery.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 06:52:18 AM »

More important was that Lincoln's Republican supporters were adamantly anti-slavery while the Northern Democrats (though not necessarily Douglas specifically) were only half-heartedly anti-slavery.

Actually the abolition movement was a very small margin compared to all the moderate Republicans and Democrats up north. Its' been estimated that no more then 10% of the Republican party was actually and truly abolishionists and even those that supported abolishion many supported 'deporting' slaves back to Africa in the experiment called Liberia.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 09:07:49 AM »

What does that mean?  half-heartedly mean?
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 09:08:29 AM »

Can someone explain this?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 08:59:44 AM »

You don't know the meaning of the word half-heartedly? Because in that case, it means that one is not fully dedicated, does not have one's whole heart in it, so to speak. I don't see what else could be unclear.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 11:29:00 AM »

You don't know the meaning of the word half-heartedly? Because in that case, it means that one is not fully dedicated, does not have one's whole heart in it, so to speak. I don't see what else could be unclear.

He might not speak english, or understand the phrase?... I dunno anything about him, but I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 06:16:38 PM »
« Edited: March 28, 2007, 06:18:17 PM by Verily »

Actually the abolition movement was a very small margin compared to all the moderate Republicans and Democrats up north. Its' been estimated that no more then 10% of the Republican party was actually and truly abolishionists and even those that supported abolishion many supported 'deporting' slaves back to Africa in the experiment called Liberia.

ROFL. The Republican Party was based on an anti-slavery platform; that was it's most distinguishing characteristic. Are you trying to tell me that the 10% the Free Soil Party got in 1848 were the only people opposed to slavery in the entire country?

10% as radical abolitionists willing to actively and illegally free slaves in the South as vigilantes, maybe, but 10% in favor of abolition? Ha!
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 11:04:18 PM »

Not many people believed in total abolition.  The Republican Party's platform in 1860 only professed belief in preventing the spread of slavery into the territories.  There were many moderates within the party, and there were plenty of know-nothings and old fashioned whigs to complement those who joined the party purely because of the issue of slavery.

The movement of the public belief towards abolition was very gradual, and essentially occured during the civil war, not before it.  Lincoln understood this and adopted an incremental approach to his own path towards being publically abolitionist.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 01:05:16 AM »

Correct again Preston, read up verily.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2007, 08:18:53 AM »

That was it.  Thanks..
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 08:21:23 AM »

What does adamantly mean?  Sorry sometimes I don't understand certain words.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2007, 09:22:59 AM »

What does adamantly mean?  Sorry sometimes I don't understand certain words.

http://www.webster.com
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2007, 09:34:51 AM »

I went there and I still don't get it.  sorry.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2007, 10:29:59 AM »

You've got to be kidding.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2007, 01:51:08 PM »

Hey I'm special Ed sometimes I don't understand things.  I have a learning disability.  sorry.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2007, 12:59:08 AM »

Hey I'm special Ed sometimes I don't understand things.  I have a learning disability.  sorry.

Ah, may I recommend a new avatar then :

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2007, 06:56:02 AM »

ROFL. The Republican Party was based on an anti-slavery platform; that was it's most distinguishing characteristic. Are you trying to tell me that the 10% the Free Soil Party got in 1848 were the only people opposed to slavery in the entire country?

10% as radical abolitionists willing to actively and illegally free slaves in the South as vigilantes, maybe, but 10% in favor of abolition? Ha!
Free Soil's ten percent include people who simply loved Old Kinderhook.
And even Free Soil was (at least technically) only against any further expansion of slavery, not abolutionist.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2007, 06:58:26 AM »

That's Nym's avatar... DWDL's avatar would be more fitting, wouldn't it? Smiley
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2007, 08:22:53 AM »

ARe u saying that only the Dems care about ppl with learning disabilities?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2007, 08:28:24 AM »

No, he's saying that Dems ARE ppl with learning disabilities.

He was joking.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2007, 05:41:36 PM »

No, he's saying that Dems ARE ppl with learning disabilities.

He was joking.

...or was he?!?!

Wink
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies