Muslim-majority city council bans LGBTQ+ pride flags on public property
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 09:28:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Muslim-majority city council bans LGBTQ+ pride flags on public property
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: Muslim-majority city council bans LGBTQ+ pride flags on public property  (Read 4358 times)
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2023, 01:20:20 AM »

Why are you bringing up race? This is about religion.

You categorically ruled-out accepting immigrants from two-and-a-half continents, but I'm the one who brought up race?

Well, if we keep letting in homophobes from Asia, eastern Europe and Africa they might not.

Nationality and race aren't the same thing.

I am fine with immigration from southern Africa, most Caribbean countries and all of South America.

They are all just as conservative on matters concerning the LGBTQ community if not more so.  

Lmao what?

Like 90% of countries that mandate the death penalty for LGBT people are majority Muslim.

Meanwhile the vast majority of South American countries have legal ssm, some like Brazil with much stronger hate speech laws than us (not that I support that.)

South Africa has been the best on the continent for LGBT rights for decades, and Botswana and Namibia have both liberalized.

Please look at a map of anti LGBT laws by country and educate yourself. Expeditiously.

I have:

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/lgbt-rights-by-country

With the exception of South America, my point still stands.  

Then you must be colorblind, because South America and southern Africa are mostly blue to green while the middle east and northern/central Africa are mostly green to yellow.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2023, 01:24:53 AM »

Here is actual footage from inside the city council meeting with members of the public.

Muslim Majority Council Meeting

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CrYiogPo0GB/

The community was not happy.

Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2023, 01:38:45 AM »

Islamic fundamentalists, like all religious fundamentalists, are almost universally terrible. I have no problem whatsoever with tolerant and chill Muslims, Christians, Jews, etc., but types like these garbage city councillors who spread their bigotry under the guise of religious freedom should be condemned.
So you're actually cool with hipster Christians then?
Sure. If people find meaning in their religious beliefs and it brings value to their lives, they have every right to practice their faith, as long as they don't use it to spread bigotry and hate. If more Christians actually practiced what Jesus preached, I'd be much less critical.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2023, 03:34:03 AM »

One refreshing aspect of the Qatar World Cup was that many liberals/lefties no longer seemed willing (as many had in the past) to gloss over Islamic homophobia (and other forms of bigotry).
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2023, 04:16:05 AM »

https://apnews.com/article/hamtramck-michigan-no-pride-flags-c380f8cdad592d69af9b2080ab4cc9cd

“You guys are welcome,” council member Nayeem Choudhury said. “(But) why do you have to have the flag shown on government property to be represented? You’re already represented. We already know who you are.”

Some members of the all-Muslim council said the pride flag clashes with the beliefs of some members of their faith. Businesses and residents aren’t prohibited from displaying a pride flag on their own property.

“We want to respect the religious rights of our citizens,” Choudhury said.

“We serve everybody equally with no discrimination but without favoritism,” he said.

“I’m questioning whether it is. ... The pride flag represents making space for all humans on all the spectrums, and this is where we’re going as a human species,” Cain said. “You can’t stop that.”

Dawud Walid, director of the Michigan branch of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, a civil rights advocacy group, said Hamtramck’s strict flag policy doesn’t discriminate against anyone.
Well, I knew one day this would evolve into what we are seeing now. The faithful always stick together in ensuring that they remain high and mighty over those they see as lesser human beings.
I thought you were a devout Shi’a Muslim? I agree with your perspective.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2023, 04:39:20 AM »
« Edited: June 15, 2023, 04:49:12 AM by America Needs R'hllor »

An LGBT person must have drawn a cartoon of Muhammad.

No, but they should.

These people need Christ.

(As promoted by liberal churches of course, not the Catholic or conservative evangelical version of Christ.)
Wow, thats f****** racist. Are you saying that I, a Muslim, should convert? Reported
Why do we keep letting these people come here?
So Muslims should be banned? Thats super racist. Reported
Islam is a very problematic religion. Leftists need to acknowledge this
Wow, what a racist quote. Reported.
Anyone who thought Islam would play nice with LGBT probably also thinks wolves would play nice with hens.

What the f-ck is going on with people? Am I really one of the only people on Atlas who doesn't hold some form of bigotry? Do you all reject the principles of a heterogenous, multiracial democracy?
Lol it’s not bigoted to dislike a religion that wants every gay person to be stoned to death
Wow you got even more racist. Imagine if someone said they disliked Jews

Jews aren't just a religion, they're an ethnic group. Hitler didn't discriminate between haredim and atheists. Disliking Christianity, Islam and yes, Judaism, is totally fine. That is as long as you don't discriminate against Christians, Muslims and observant Jews and defend their religious freedom (in the borders of not harming any other people's rights with this freedom). I'm saying this as someone who dislikes all religions, to some extent.

And sorry but we see today very clearly which religion is the most extreme and violent in oppressing LGBT people, women and liberal values such as free speech. There is no instance from the 21st century - that I'm aware of - in which a Christian did something comparable to beheading a teacher for showing caricatures of Mohammed. There is a breathtaking level of entitlement to the restriction of other people's freedom that we see in many Muslims, both immigrants in Western countries and Muslim governments. Similar instances are the attacks on Salman Rushdie, the slaughter in Charlie Hebdo, and even the instance we've seen recently in which ostensibly young and modern Muslim students tried to get a teacher in Minnesota fired for showing art depicting Mohammed. This needs to be rejected by any and all liberal-minded people.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2023, 05:03:54 AM »

Coming from a similar background, and let me tell you the difference between Muslims and secular or Christian immigrants Don’t matter, I can tell you that this is overkill. What’s really needed is to put these people through the same treatment Evangelicals got in the 2000s culture war, as well as reminding these people that they aren’t better than native-born people here.

Fergie, you clearly don’t know Muslims like I do. Trust me, with my friends and family being from Iran and knowing all sorts of diaspora in Chicagoland, these people need their egos in check.

Not sure how or why this would work. They were treated with much more hostility post-9/11 for years.

One refreshing aspect of the Qatar World Cup was that many liberals/lefties no longer seemed willing (as many had in the past) to gloss over Islamic homophobia (and other forms of bigotry).

This is because Qatar is comically evil, even compared to these bigots. Contempt for Qatar is not a yardstick to measure political progress by.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2023, 05:31:09 AM »

Yes, Islam is more problematic for LGBT rights (and basic human equality and freedom) than Christianity. For many on this forum, this just doesn’t seem to sink in, but—with the exception of Uganda—everyplace in the world that has the death penalty as an option for homosexuality is predominantly Muslim.

This doesn’t mean that we should discriminate against Muslim individuals, or deny them their constitutional right to freedom of religion, though. Many of them are smart enough to understand that fighting against another of society’s minority groups is counterproductive when it comes to achieving their own rights. Since Muslim immigrants tend to reside in more urban, cosmopolitan settings, most will not become political opponents of the LGBT community, regardless of whatever personal beliefs they have.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2023, 08:17:15 AM »

Think of that there actually exists people who apparently believe this woman is not white.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2023, 08:32:53 AM »

This is one of the most depressing threads I have read in a long time.  I would note that Hudson, NY has a substantial number of both gays and Muslims on its city council, and everyone gets along just fine, and when I as a gay man ran for office, I think I carried the Muslim vote. Putting people in boxes based on their religion and ethnicity is one way to make a civil society more toxic.

That said that proposed mosque in Kingman was absolutely hideous. I was wondering if it was a parody.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2023, 08:39:24 AM »

I knew before clicking it would be Hamtramck.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2023, 08:44:17 AM »

This is one of the most depressing threads I have read in a long time.  I would note that Hudson, NY has a substantial number of both gays and Muslims on its city council, and everyone gets along just fine, and when I as a gay man ran for office, I think I carried the Muslim vote. Putting people in boxes based on their religion and ethnicity is one way to make a civil society more toxic.

That said that proposed mosque in Kingman was absolutely hideous. I was wondering if it was a parody.

Oh yes. Unfortunately, it seems as if American Society is becoming more European.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2023, 09:11:21 AM »

Their kids will be more liberal about this.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2023, 09:16:06 AM »

Disappointing and should be struck down by courts. Banning flags and other signs is un-American and unconstitutional (perhaps unless these are flags promoting hate, which isn't the case here).
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2023, 09:21:28 AM »

Their kids will be more liberal about this.

Hope sparring eternal, in Europe the Muslim generation born outside their country of origin were more reactionary and unpleasant than their parents generation. Of course, this could be caused by external factors like Gulf States funding.

Honestly the only surprisingly things about this is that it have not happened earlier, the fact that progressive react to it (respect to you all), and the fact that a coalition of media and progressive doesn’t cover it up. I suspect the reason it get free room is because Gulf States bribing of Western media have shifted from support of Islam in general to good PR for the Gulf States specific.

But honestly there’s nothing surprisingly about this, while not all Muslims hold these kind of views, you can be pretty sure that if they settle close enough to each to make up a majority of a city council, they’re the most likely to push these views.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2023, 03:04:55 PM »

I've messaged the mods. Hopefully they close this thread soon

Yeah, the quality of discussion has gotten astonishingly bad astonishingly quickly, especially for a story the substance of which almost everyone participating agrees on (this city council is full of crap, hyperconservative religious censoriousness doesn't magically become okay just because the religion isn't a form of Christianity, banning Pride flags on public property in Current Year is absurd and feeds into really dangerous trends in our politics). I think that very little is coming out of this thread that is good.

Image Linkl

Based move, massive W

F

U

C

K

Y

O

U
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2023, 03:11:05 PM »

Just a couple of questions for Abdullah, I'm genuinely curious.

1) Do you think gay sex between consenting adults should be punished legally?

2) If the answer is yes, what should that punishment be?
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2023, 03:14:05 PM »

Just a couple of questions for Abdullah, I'm genuinely curious.

1) Do you think gay sex between consenting adults should be punished legally?

2) If the answer is yes, what should that punishment be?

Assuming too much here, imo
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2023, 03:23:32 PM »

This is the worst thread we've had in a long time, congrats everyone
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2023, 03:36:50 PM »

These people need Christ.

(As promoted by liberal churches of course, not the Catholic or conservative evangelical version of Christ.)
Wow, thats f****** racist. Are you saying that I, a Muslim, should convert? Reported
Why do we keep letting these people come here?
So Muslims should be banned? Thats super racist. Reported
Wow, what a racist quote. Reported.
Anyone who thought Islam would play nice with LGBT probably also thinks wolves would play nice with hens.

What the f-ck is going on with people? Am I really one of the only people on Atlas who doesn't hold some form of bigotry? Do you all reject the principles of a heterogenous, multiracial democracy?
Lol it’s not bigoted to dislike a religion that wants every gay person to be stoned to death
Wow you got even more racist. Imagine if someone said they disliked Jews

If Judaism advocated stoning gays to death, the same statement would hold true. However, feel free to correct me, but I don't believe that is what the vast majority of American Muslims believe, the same as the vast majority of American Jews and christians.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2023, 04:20:02 PM »

Mods, please lock this thread.
Pink Panther

« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2023, 04:24:31 PM »

I lost a couple of brain cells after reading this thread.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2023, 04:25:35 PM »

"Tolerant" Left.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2023, 04:29:23 PM »

Many POC, especially new migrants are far to the right of the current Democratic Party, especially on social issues. And many of them run small businesses. If the Republican Party could drop their racially based cultural politics ( because Critical Race theory are foreign ), they could dominate for the next 30 years.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2023, 04:42:55 PM »

Why? It's done a great job showing how many red avs would gladly throw the gays under the bus in exchange for their precious immigrants.

Keep it open.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies