Muslim-majority city council bans LGBTQ+ pride flags on public property
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 10:53:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Muslim-majority city council bans LGBTQ+ pride flags on public property
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Muslim-majority city council bans LGBTQ+ pride flags on public property  (Read 4363 times)
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2023, 10:21:48 PM »

Anyone who thought Islam would play nice with LGBT probably also thinks wolves would play nice with hens.
Wow, I am quite disappointed. You were a poster I respected. Thats a racist statement.

But I guess Muslims are wolves attacking innocent hens right?

What race is "Muslim"?
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2023, 10:22:50 PM »

Anyone who thought Islam would play nice with LGBT probably also thinks wolves would play nice with hens.
Wow, I am quite disappointed. You were a poster I respected. Thats a racist statement.

What race is "Muslim"?
You know that the term racism can be applied to any form of bigotry. Don't be smart
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2023, 10:23:02 PM »

These people need Christ.

(As promoted by liberal churches of course, not the Catholic or conservative evangelical version of Christ.)
Wow, thats f****** racist. Are you saying that I, a Muslim, should convert? Reported

This must be a joke?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2023, 10:23:11 PM »

What race is "Muslim"?
You know that the term racism can be applied to any form of bigotry. Don't be smart

It really can't though.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2023, 10:23:30 PM »

What race is "Muslim"?

No? That’s not what racism means at all?

Aren’t you a teacher? I’d expect you to know better.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2023, 10:30:33 PM »

Yes they are. I see the result of this within not just my diaspora group but others.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2023, 10:34:02 PM »

Islam is a very problematic religion. Leftists need to acknowledge this

What the f-ck is going on with people? Am I really one of the only people on Atlas who doesn't hold some form of bigotry? Do you all reject the principles of a heterogenous, multiracial democracy?

To accept this , you also will have to accept the fact that many ethnic minorities are to the right of not just white democrats but white republicans on certain cultural issues . I remember how shocked you were when posters were saying Asian parents are more likely to support  corporal punishment than not only white democrats but white republicans as well .

Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2023, 10:35:28 PM »

I've messaged the mods. Hopefully they close this thread soon
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2023, 10:50:08 PM »

What the f-ck is going on with people? Am I really one of the only people on Atlas who doesn't hold some form of bigotry? Do you all reject the principles of a heterogenous, multiracial democracy?

To accept this , you also will have to accept the fact that many ethnic minorities are to the right of not just white democrats but white republicans on certain cultural issues . I remember how shocked you were when posters were saying Asian parents are more likely to support  corporal punishment than not only white democrats but white republicans as well .

Well Republicans better stop hating on migrants, since they might save the Republicans ironically.

POC especially new immigrants, are also more likely to operate small businesses, which is also a classically conservative republican thing.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2023, 10:52:13 PM »

All Muslims need their ego check? Thats racist. Reported

Nitpick: muslims are not a race.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2023, 11:44:01 PM »

(As promoted by liberal churches of course, not the Catholic or conservative evangelical version of Christ.)
Wow, thats f****** racist. Are you saying that I, a Muslim, should convert? Reported
Why do we keep letting these people come here?
So Muslims should be banned? Thats super racist. Reported
Wow, what a racist quote. Reported.

Lol it’s not bigoted to dislike a religion that wants every gay person to be stoned to death
Wow you got even more racist. Imagine if someone said they disliked Jews
I don’t dislike Muslims. I dislike Islam.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2023, 11:47:21 PM »

I believe that ideally every person on Earth should convert to Christianity, just as I believe that every single voter in the US should vote Democratic. As a Muslim you probably believe that ideally every person on Earth should convert to Islam. That's how religion works.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2023, 11:51:38 PM »

Wow you got even more racist. Imagine if someone said they disliked Jews
The mayor of this city, per the third post here, has a history of bigotry
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2023, 11:52:18 PM »

not a surprise that right-religious people exist no matter the religion.

Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2023, 11:59:53 PM »

Islamic fundamentalists, like all religious fundamentalists, are almost universally terrible. I have no problem whatsoever with tolerant and chill Muslims, Christians, Jews, etc., but types like these garbage city councillors who spread their bigotry under the guise of religious freedom should be condemned.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2023, 12:03:26 AM »

Islamic fundamentalists, like all religious fundamentalists, are almost universally terrible. I have no problem whatsoever with tolerant and chill Muslims, Christians, Jews, etc., but types like these garbage city councillors who spread their bigotry under the guise of religious freedom should be condemned.
So you're actually cool with hipster Christians then?
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2023, 12:31:02 AM »

We are unable to ban specific religious groups from immigrating to the United States.  That is all I can say on this.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2023, 12:44:24 AM »

Yeah, the quality of discussion has gotten astonishingly bad astonishingly quickly, especially for a story the substance of which almost everyone participating agrees on (this city council is full of crap, hyperconservative religious censoriousness doesn't magically become okay just because the religion isn't a form of Christianity, banning Pride flags on public property in Current Year is absurd and feeds into really dangerous trends in our politics). I think that very little is coming out of this thread that is good.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2023, 12:51:55 AM »
« Edited: June 15, 2023, 12:57:02 AM by Horus »

At least we learned Ilhan Omar and Ramzan Kadyrov are the same race.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2023, 12:56:40 AM »

At least we learned Ilhan Omar and Ramzan Kadyrov are the same race.

I'm of two minds on this post, Horus. On one hand, while I normally don't like just lazily describing things that aren't directly about race as "racialized," I think it's difficult to dispute that one might at least reasonably feel that the way Islam is discussed in the West is "racialized," and I think you'd do well to acknowledge that when discussing it with someone like Fergie.

On the other hand, okay yeah, this is funny.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2023, 01:00:29 AM »
« Edited: June 15, 2023, 01:11:00 AM by Frodo »

Why are you bringing up race? This is about religion.

You categorically ruled-out accepting immigrants from two-and-a-half continents, but I'm the one who brought up race?

Well, if we keep letting in homophobes from Asia, eastern Europe and Africa they might not.

Nationality and race aren't the same thing.

I am fine with immigration from southern Africa, most Caribbean countries and all of South America.

They are all just as conservative on matters concerning the LGBTQ community if not more so.  

We could see an interesting political future (well, 'interesting' for the vast majority of us who are straight) in which the major parties' stances on immigration are switched.  We could see the Republican Party finally letting go of its nativists and xenophobes in exchange for all these newly arrived and naturalized immigrants with social values as conservative as their evangelical base.  In return, the GOP could moderate its position on immigration by welcoming ever greater numbers of legal immigrants and asylum seekers while maintaining strict controls on the US-Mexico border in juxtaposition to a Democratic Party ever more defined by its social liberalism that eventually becomes more ambivalent on immigration in an effort to safeguard an ever more embattled constituency as the culture wars rage on with no clear winner in sight -while becoming more attractive for those nativists and xenophobes looking for a new political home.  The GOP becomes more racially, ethnically, and religiously diverse in the process, and the Democratic Party becomes less so as it turns inward and more defensive.  If we see another huge wave of immigration (this time from the Global South) within the next few decades like what we saw in the late 19th century, and again in the late 20th century, I can see this happening.    
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2023, 01:08:16 AM »

Yeah, the quality of discussion has gotten astonishingly bad astonishingly quickly, especially for a story the substance of which almost everyone participating agrees on (this city council is full of crap, hyperconservative religious censoriousness doesn't magically become okay just because the religion isn't a form of Christianity, banning Pride flags on public property in Current Year is absurd and feeds into really dangerous trends in our politics). I think that very little is coming out of this thread that is good.
This thread and the one related to it have been definitely productive and a needed reality check for many.

Outside of the quite skilled sock that is pres mike, most people are constructive.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2023, 01:08:58 AM »

You categorically ruled-out accepting immigrants from two-and-a-half continents, but I'm the one who brought up race?

Well, if we keep letting in homophobes from Asia, eastern Europe and Africa they might not.

I am fine with immigration from southern Africa, most Caribbean countries and all of South America.

They are all just as conservative on matters concerning the LGBTQ community if not more so.  

Lmao what?

Like 90% of countries that mandate the death penalty for LGBT people are majority Muslim.

Meanwhile the vast majority of South American countries have legal ssm, some like Brazil with much stronger hate speech laws than us (not that I support that.)

South Africa has been the best on the continent for LGBT rights for decades, and Botswana and Namibia have both liberalized.

Please look at a map of anti LGBT laws by country and educate yourself. Expeditiously.

PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2023, 01:11:07 AM »

Horus, the nominal Muslims that immigrate here are not similar to the people they left at home, and this goes on to their kids who adopt the same values here. The issue of immigrant homophobia is pressing but let’s not exaggerate the problem here.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2023, 01:14:25 AM »
« Edited: June 15, 2023, 01:17:48 AM by Frodo »

Lmao what?

Like 90% of countries that mandate the death penalty for LGBT people are majority Muslim.

Meanwhile the vast majority of South American countries have legal ssm, some like Brazil with much stronger hate speech laws than us (not that I support that.)

South Africa has been the best on the continent for LGBT rights for decades, and Botswana and Namibia have both liberalized.

Please look at a map of anti LGBT laws by country and educate yourself. Expeditiously.

I have:

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/lgbt-rights-by-country

With the exception of South America, my point still stands.  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies