Movement to Abolish Regions
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:54:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Movement to Abolish Regions
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Movement to Abolish Regions  (Read 1100 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 11, 2004, 08:40:37 PM »
« edited: July 11, 2004, 08:41:14 PM by intermoderate »

Districts and Regions are pretty much the same, I say we abolish Regions and have all Senators and Governors be elected by District.

Governors will still have control over the states in their district and meetings for redistricting between the Governors will remain the same.

This would hopefully reduce voter confusion about their District and Region in the future.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2004, 08:43:44 PM »

No

Districts and regions are not the same.  Regions are perminant.  Districts are based on populations.  Since Regions are perminant, they have the governorships.  The governors determine the plan for Districts.  They aren't the same thing.

In the words of Alexander Haig, "Read your Constitution, pal."  Smiley
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2004, 08:48:47 PM »

I would like to get rid of districts, restore voting from regions and have the amount of representation fluxuate depending on voter registration rather than district boundaries.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2004, 08:50:34 PM »
« Edited: July 11, 2004, 08:51:51 PM by intermoderate »

No

Districts and regions are not the same.  Regions are perminant.  Districts are based on populations.  Since Regions are perminant, they have the governorships.  The governors determine the plan for Districts.  They aren't the same thing.

Hmm, then why call it a Senate?

Senate: A legislative branch that comprises of 2 members from each state, regardless of population.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2004, 09:45:32 PM »

No

Senate: A legislative branch that comprises of 2 members from each state, regardless of population.

Thats not our Senate Wink.

But anyway, I would support the abolishing of DISTRICTS before Regions.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2004, 11:45:37 PM »

The big problem with this idea is  it eliminates the Governor's unbias when we design the District maps. The way things are set up now is fine.

Governors decide the districts, and the Senate decides the Regions(via constitutional amendment).
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2004, 03:42:39 AM »

No

Because the original plan, thought up by myself, was to simulate the effects of having both a House and Senate in a single body.  You would have to have be here for the founding days to understand.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2004, 03:46:20 AM »

King, your definitiion is that of the AMERICAn senate.

Not of the roman senate; not6 of the Australian senate, and NOT of the atlas senate.

When will people realise this isn't AMERICA. It's based on your system but it is NOT your system. It has a base of the american system and uses bits form other parts of the world, or of our own creation, that improve it.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2004, 04:35:39 AM »

The big problem with this idea is  it eliminates the Governor's unbias when we design the District maps. The way things are set up now is fine.

Governors decide the districts, and the Senate decides the Regions(via constitutional amendment).

^^ Electing Governors from Districts would cause problems as they would try to create safe districts for themselves. Do you ever see the Governors of a State saying, "hey, lits kick this bit of the state out, it won't vote for me". No (I am aware that the Governors technically couldn't anyway).

I say we stick with both Regions and Districts. It isn't hard to understand. Governors from Regions, Senators from Districts.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2004, 04:37:52 AM »
« Edited: July 12, 2004, 04:40:44 AM by Vice-President Supersoulty »

Perhapes, now that I have time, I should elaborate.  First of all, I was the architect of the current system.  The orginal debate was wether or not to have one body (a Senate) or two bodies (w/ a House).  The proposals were become extremely weighed down.  The majority wanted only a Senate, but argueed over the districts and what their nature should be (perminant or mobile).  The perminant proposal seemed to be winning out, but I realized that this would create problems as the forum grew and expanded.  The growth of the areas would not be comensurate to one another.  Thus, inspired by the American Founders, I came up with the current district/region plan that would allow fair representation for all Atlas citizens.  I fought tooth and nail against those who opposed my plan, but I finally won over in the end.

As things evolved, however, much to my dismay, my plan was altered, but the regions are still key in determining governorships.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies