Katie Hobbs has already vetoed 106 bills in her time in office.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:32:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Katie Hobbs has already vetoed 106 bills in her time in office.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Katie Hobbs has already vetoed 106 bills in her time in office.  (Read 972 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 06, 2023, 06:32:48 PM »

A record for any currently sitting governor?

https://www.azmirror.com/2023/06/05/katie-hobbs-vetoes-gop-bills-criminalizing-homelessness-ranked-choice-voting

Absolutely based.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2023, 09:17:38 PM »

hell ya, she is protecting the ppl of AZ from big govt communist tyranny !
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2023, 11:53:25 PM »

Slay queen
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2023, 12:57:40 AM »

If only the GOP nominated Robson
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2023, 01:02:30 AM »

This is to be expected for governors with one or more legislative chambers controlled by the opposite party. People like Brian Schweitzer, Steve Bullock, Andy Beshear, Laura Kelly, Tony Evers, Roy Cooper, and Tom Wolf have also vetoed many bills.
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2023, 01:27:29 AM »

This is to be expected for governors with one or more legislative chambers controlled by the opposite party. People like Brian Schweitzer, Steve Bullock, Andy Beshear, Laura Kelly, Tony Evers, Roy Cooper, and Tom Wolf have also vetoed many bills.

But only one seat needs to flip for az dems in the house, such a narrow legislative power margin unlike the others
Yoda
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2023, 02:09:56 AM »

The republicans are basically handing her a great argument for her to run for reelection on, the fact that she is vetoing all this crazy stuff that caters to the far right.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2023, 06:04:25 AM »

She's obviously not a supporter of "democracy".  Someone who was would not veto legislation passed by the democratically elected legislature at the rate Hobbs does.

That's not a criticism; that's an observation.  One could state that she is a believer in a "republican form of government" as specified in the Guaranty Clause.  I certainly believe that Governors should veto legislation that they consider inherently unwise.  But stop whining about "Our Democracy" when you serve as a roadblock to what the most democratic branch of your state's government comes forth with.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2023, 06:29:40 AM »

She's obviously not a supporter of "democracy".  Someone who was would not veto legislation passed by the democratically elected legislature at the rate Hobbs does.

That's not a criticism; that's an observation.  One could state that she is a believer in a "republican form of government" as specified in the Guaranty Clause.  I certainly believe that Governors should veto legislation that they consider inherently unwise.  But stop whining about "Our Democracy" when you serve as a roadblock to what the most democratic branch of your state's government comes forth with.

She too was elected by the people of Arizona, so I don't know what kind of nonsense you are regurgitating.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2023, 06:42:45 AM »

Good thing they did not lol
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2023, 08:03:01 AM »

She's obviously not a supporter of "democracy".  Someone who was would not veto legislation passed by the democratically elected legislature at the rate Hobbs does.

That's not a criticism; that's an observation.  One could state that she is a believer in a "republican form of government" as specified in the Guaranty Clause.  I certainly believe that Governors should veto legislation that they consider inherently unwise.  But stop whining about "Our Democracy" when you serve as a roadblock to what the most democratic branch of your state's government comes forth with.

She too was elected by the people of Arizona, so I don't know what kind of nonsense you are regurgitating.

Fuzzy probably believes that the election was stolen from Kari Lake.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2023, 09:06:42 AM »

She's obviously not a supporter of "democracy".  Someone who was would not veto legislation passed by the democratically elected legislature at the rate Hobbs does.

That's not a criticism; that's an observation.  One could state that she is a believer in a "republican form of government" as specified in the Guaranty Clause.  I certainly believe that Governors should veto legislation that they consider inherently unwise.  But stop whining about "Our Democracy" when you serve as a roadblock to what the most democratic branch of your state's government comes forth with.
That's what she's doing!
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2023, 09:11:02 AM »

I'm not familiar with Justine Wadsack but she seems to be complete human garbage from this article.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2023, 09:13:13 AM »

More seems to me that's because the slim GOP majority isn't sitting down with Hobbs and the Dem lawmakers to cut a few deals on good legislation that addresses actual problems. I haven't seen any evidence the bills she vetoed are that way. More likely is they're just passing bills on a strict partisan line for PR stunts which they know won't get signed either.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2023, 12:07:42 PM »

And further to that, if the people voted for divided government, then they're getting exactly what they voted for.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2023, 01:09:11 PM »

#girlboss
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2023, 01:28:05 PM »

#unhingedwomen (a common conservative attack)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2023, 02:01:37 PM »

If only Biden could take notes and use his executive powers to move the ball
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2023, 03:33:06 PM »

If only Biden could take notes and use his executive powers to move the ball

Lol the SCOTUS says Congress has the Authority if Student Loan Forgiveness is blocked Ds can pass it again, the Conserv Crt uses Judicial Retraint and if a Secular Congress with Biden comes again they will use Judicial Review

That separates the Whigs from the Tories in the 1800s Judicial Review ruled Slavery unconstitutional and the Ds presently uses it now

Thats why we have to vote Approvals lie all the time Rs are doomed anyways its a 303 map anyways
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2023, 08:13:42 PM »

the state legislature is literally trying to do communism out here man !! shes gotta veto this stuff to prevent big govt from doing things.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2023, 09:34:43 PM »

She's obviously not a supporter of "democracy" ...

Are you kidding us?
You support everything about trump and find him pure regarding all the investigations and prosecutions (to come) involved with his criminality, and you are going to lecture us on other lawmakers who (in your words) "are not supporters of democracy"?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2023, 09:41:08 PM »

That's what she's doing!

True enough, but that's being a "republican" and not a "democrat". 

Democracy is manifested in the actions of legislatures.  Executive power is not "democratic" even if it is "elected"; it is "republican" in that it is premised that the executive will act according to their judgement, and not (necessarily) the popular will.

The guaranty clause guarantees a "republican" form of government, not a "democratic" form of government.  People used to know this if they paid attention during high school classes on American Government. 
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2023, 10:21:34 PM »

Well RCV should be standard so banning it is dumb. Homelessness should probably be criminalized, shelters for those who actually need it and will follow the rules but no more drug tent camps allowed.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2023, 11:16:35 PM »

That's what she's doing!

Democracy is manifested in the actions of legislatures.  Executive power is not "democratic" even if it is "elected"; it is "republican" in that it is premised that the executive will act according to their judgement, and not (necessarily) the popular will.

The guaranty clause guarantees a "republican" form of government, not a "democratic" form of government.  People used to know this if they paid attention during high school classes on American Government. 

Why is it everyone who trots out this smooth rain argument that America is a republic and not a democracy duuuuh it's really just translation for deeply unpopular things I support should still be the law?

Put a cork in it fuzzy. This is exactly what every date Constitution has had since time immemorial and an elected governor is shutting down a narrowly divided whack job legislative majority and you're pissed because you fully sympathize and identify what it said whack jobs.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2023, 05:21:11 AM »

That's what she's doing!

Why is it everyone who trots out this smooth rain argument that America is a republic and not a democracy duuuuh it's really just translation for deeply unpopular things I support should still be the law?

Put a cork in it fuzzy. This is exactly what every date Constitution has had since time immemorial and an elected governor is shutting down a narrowly divided whack job legislative majority and you're pissed because you fully sympathize and identify what it said whack jobs.

Now where did I say that these vetoes were inherently bad?  Show me where.

America IS a Republic.  It is NOT a "democracy" (although our Republic has democratic features, to be sure).  Any Governor who vetoes as many bills as Katie Hobbs does is not a believer in "democracy" by  definition.  They are a de facto believer in "republicanism" (small "r"). 

I mention this because the will of the people is generally expressed by the actions of their legislatures.  The legislatures consist of the people "closest" to their constituents; that is a fact, even today.  And it's clear that a majority of the people of Arizona disagree with Katie Hobbs on a number of issues, even as they elected her Governor.

Now I think Katie Hobbs is an awful human being, and symbolic of what I can't stand about today's Democratic Party, but that's beside the point.  The point is that, rightly or wrongly, her actions in vetoing a record number of bills is NOT consistent with "democracy".  It may be something you like.  It may be something that's in the best interest of Arizonans as a whole (whether they realize it or not).  But it's not "democracy" at work.  It's the anti-democratic feature (executive power) of republican government putting a check on the democratic institution of the legislature.  I know you're a disagreeable turd in a number of ways, but you could have saved your arrogance for issues dearer to the heart of the Atlas Left that we are sure to disagree on.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies