Can the NJGOP win post-Roe?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:52:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Can the NJGOP win post-Roe?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Can the NJGOP win post-Roe?  (Read 2567 times)
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2023, 09:29:01 AM »

How easy would it be for New Jersey Dems to switch the timing of elections to even years?
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2023, 10:01:12 PM »

How easy would it be for New Jersey Dems to switch the timing of elections to even years?

It would require a constitutional amendment, but it doesn’t serve their interests anyway. New Jersey incumbents are incredibly strong, in part due to off-year elections, and personal power matters more to them than partisanship, especially given the very slim chance Republicans take either chamber.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2023, 05:44:49 PM »

I don't think any Governor would have the cajones to be the one to pull the trigger on this, it would look overly political and self-serving.
Red Wall

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2023, 11:32:10 PM »

I gave New Jersey a 90% chance of flipping republican. Phil Murphy is the most unpopular governor in the country and they are gonna rebel against NY democrats shoving congestion price down their throats. Trump will get 45% in new jersey and then it'll elect a republican governor.
cg41386
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.39, S: -7.74

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2023, 06:20:27 PM »

wut
Duke of York

« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2023, 02:59:30 PM »

I gave New Jersey a 90% chance of flipping republican. Phil Murphy is the most unpopular governor in the country and they are gonna rebel against NY democrats shoving congestion price down their throats. Trump will get 45% in new jersey and then it'll elect a republican governor.

What? This is utterly and completely wrong.
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2023, 04:13:42 PM »

It will make things harder perhaps but Murphy ran partly on abortion in 2021 and it didn't seem to move anyone towards him. Maybe it will be different now post-Dobbs? But what complicates this is that New Jersey remains a state where Republicans still do well in off-year elections and Democrats turn out in smaller numbers. With our gubernatorial elections always being in the off-year of off-years, the New Jersey GOP will probably always keep it at least within the single digits depending on who is in the White House and opinions of the past administration. Will Dobbs negate that? Do New Jersey voters buy that a New Jersey Republican candidate will act against reproductive rights in spite of Democrats having a consistent lock on the Assembly and Senate? I sure hope for the latter but I don't buy it as a given.

All I know is that I hope Dobbs does end up being the New Jersey GOP's deathknell, because I don't want my very ambitious current Mayor to run for Governor and win.

https://subscriber.politicopro.com/article/2023/06/a-feeling-of-trump-2016-why-phil-murphy-and-democrats-have-anxiety-this-election-year-00101399

Phil Murphy says he has a "Trump 2016" feeling about state elections this year. Now, he could just be saying this to keep Democrats on their toes but Republicans outperforming expectations in New Jersey has happened several times in recent years so it could be something to keep an eye on.

It's going to be 2019 all over again, more accurately, if you ask me.

With the NJGOP gains in South Jersey and the end of Norcross, the GOP could make gains in the Legislature that creates a single majority for Democrats. Dems would respond by making the '25 election about abortion. They are pro-life Republicans like Jay Webber in the Assembly if the GOP gains power. Dems would make abortion a big issue in NJ and a lot of women in NJ would probably prioritize that more than high property taxes or inflation/jobs.

South Jersey isn’t too populous, especially the parts where the GOP gains are coming from. The GOP needs to do well in North Jersey suburbia to get a majority. They might be making gains in the cities and in South Jersey, but they are not gaining ground in competitive areas nearly as much.

There is literally one state senate seat and two assembly seats left that they could gain in south Jersey.

Yeah that’s what I mean. They are gonna lose those Biden +15 suburban seats soon and South Jersey doesn’t have much left in terms of pickups.

Geography has also helped Dems in NJ a ton since the Trump era began. You can easily draw an 11-1 map without absurd lines. The GOP vote is so packed into Ocean these days.

https://davesredistricting.org/maps#viewmap::8d3445f0-1549-47ec-8397-a1ca62ef3c41
kwabbit

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2023, 05:35:43 PM »

It will make things harder perhaps but Murphy ran partly on abortion in 2021 and it didn't seem to move anyone towards him. Maybe it will be different now post-Dobbs? But what complicates this is that New Jersey remains a state where Republicans still do well in off-year elections and Democrats turn out in smaller numbers. With our gubernatorial elections always being in the off-year of off-years, the New Jersey GOP will probably always keep it at least within the single digits depending on who is in the White House and opinions of the past administration. Will Dobbs negate that? Do New Jersey voters buy that a New Jersey Republican candidate will act against reproductive rights in spite of Democrats having a consistent lock on the Assembly and Senate? I sure hope for the latter but I don't buy it as a given.

All I know is that I hope Dobbs does end up being the New Jersey GOP's deathknell, because I don't want my very ambitious current Mayor to run for Governor and win.

https://subscriber.politicopro.com/article/2023/06/a-feeling-of-trump-2016-why-phil-murphy-and-democrats-have-anxiety-this-election-year-00101399

Phil Murphy says he has a "Trump 2016" feeling about state elections this year. Now, he could just be saying this to keep Democrats on their toes but Republicans outperforming expectations in New Jersey has happened several times in recent years so it could be something to keep an eye on.

With the NJGOP gains in South Jersey and the end of Norcross, the GOP could make gains in the Legislature that creates a single majority for Democrats. Dems would respond by making the '25 election about abortion. They are pro-life Republicans like Jay Webber in the Assembly if the GOP gains power. Dems would make abortion a big issue in NJ and a lot of women in NJ would probably prioritize that more than high property taxes or inflation/jobs.

South Jersey isn’t too populous, especially the parts where the GOP gains are coming from. The GOP needs to do well in North Jersey suburbia to get a majority. They might be making gains in the cities and in South Jersey, but they are not gaining ground in competitive areas nearly as much.

There is literally one state senate seat and two assembly seats left that they could gain in south Jersey.

Yeah that’s what I mean. They are gonna lose those Biden +15 suburban seats soon and South Jersey doesn’t have much left in terms of pickups.

Geography has also helped Dems in NJ a ton since the Trump era began. You can easily draw an 11-1 map without absurd lines. The GOP vote is so packed into Ocean these days.

https://davesredistricting.org/maps#viewmap::8d3445f0-1549-47ec-8397-a1ca62ef3c41

It's pretty interesting that an almost maximal GOP pack in NJ can be perfectly compact Ocean County + the red towns of Monmouth. Ocean is becoming more and more of a pack each cycle. I think the GOP eclipsed 70% in Ocean in 2022.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2023, 06:31:54 PM »

It's pretty interesting that an almost maximal GOP pack in NJ can be perfectly compact Ocean County + the red towns of Monmouth. Ocean is becoming more and more of a pack each cycle. I think the GOP eclipsed 70% in Ocean in 2022.

The Trump GOP is practically designed to appeal to the residents of Ocean County, New Jersey. All of the demographic, economic & cultural elements that make the county unique are ones that are more supportive of Trump/indicative of Trump support.
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2023, 11:28:31 AM »

Yeah, the NJ-2 has a funky arm into Collingswood and Voorhees but you could probably still draw a very compact Biden +7 NJ-2 without this somewhat funky shape.
the artist formerly known as catmusic
catmusic
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.16, S: -7.91

P
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2023, 11:54:50 AM »

They can. I doubt they're likely to any time in the near future but it's not out of the realm of possibility. Probably more likely in a local than anything national.
Duke of York

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2023, 02:05:16 PM »

Do Republicans have a chance to take the State Senate? I saw some recent polling I found concerning.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2023, 02:06:21 PM »
« Edited: July 17, 2023, 02:17:15 PM by Senator Incitatus »

Do Republicans have a chance to take the State Senate? I saw some recent polling I found concerning.

I’d be interested to see that polling but I’d say it’s <30% and with a fat tail at the low end of that. I’d expect a 2-3 seat gain but don’t see how they win districts 14, 16 or 38.

One thing that’s extremely interesting to me that I haven’t seen explained yet: the no-name Republican got more primary votes out of the Hispanic wards of Newark than the Majority Leader. Results are unofficial but that would shock me if true.
Duke of York

« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2023, 02:17:22 PM »

I’d be interested to see that polling but I’d say it’s <30% and with a fat tail at the low end of that. I’d expect a 2-3 seat gain but don’t see how they win districts 14, 16 or 38.

https://www.ourcampaigns.com/RaceDetail.html?RaceID=990258

https://www.ourcampaigns.com/RaceDetail.html?RaceID=990265

https://www.ourcampaigns.com/RaceDetail.html?RaceID=990268

https://www.ourcampaigns.com/RaceDetail.html?RaceID=990270

https://www.ourcampaigns.com/RaceDetail.html?RaceID=990292

Polls are in the link. Scrolls down and you'll find them
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2023, 02:48:38 PM »

Those were Republican internals, so take it with a grain of salt.

I certainly wouldn't bet on them winning the Senate. The most likely path would be holding all 16 of their seats while flipping LDs 4, 11, 16, 38 and 14 in that order. They will most likely make net gains, but an outright majority will be a very tough lift. An even split is far more likely.

If anything, Republicans may have a slightly better chance (though still probably under 30%) of winning the Assembly, since there's one district (LD 11) with a Democratic Senator and two Republican Assemblywomen. A net gain of 5 seats (hold all 46 while flipping both seats in LD 4 and three of the four seats in LDs 16 and 38) there seems a bit more doable, since incumbents seem to be stronger in the Senate than they are in the Assembly.
Dead Parrot
Rookie

« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2023, 04:00:01 PM »

One thing that’s extremely interesting to me that I haven’t seen explained yet: the no-name Republican got more primary votes out of the Hispanic wards of Newark than the Majority Leader. Results are unofficial but that would shock me if true.

The explanation is that the DOS made an error (shocking, I know...). Official results from the Essex County ENR site show that Teresa Ruiz (D) got 3,394 primary votes in Newark while Maritza Mathews (R) got...196.
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2023, 05:24:31 PM »

Those were Republican internals, so take it with a grain of salt.

I certainly wouldn't bet on them winning the Senate. The most likely path would be holding all 16 of their seats while flipping LDs 4, 11, 16, 38 and 14 in that order. They will most likely make net gains, but an outright majority will be a very tough lift. An even split is far more likely.

If anything, Republicans may have a slightly better chance (though still probably under 30%) of winning the Assembly, since there's one district (LD 11) with a Democratic Senator and two Republican Assemblywomen. A net gain of 5 seats (hold all 46 while flipping both seats in LD 4 and three of the four seats in LDs 16 and 38) there seems a bit more doable, since incumbents seem to be stronger in the Senate than they are in the Assembly.

There's no way the GOP is winning the state senate. LD-16 was once GOP leaning but that ship sailed when Trump won.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2023, 06:08:40 PM »

The explanation is that the DOS made an error (shocking, I know...). Official results from the Essex County ENR site show that Teresa Ruiz (D) got 3,394 primary votes in Newark while Maritza Mathews (R) got...196.

Thanks; glad to know. I can stop trying to figure out who the hell Mathews is.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2023, 06:12:58 PM »

There's no way the GOP is winning the state senate. LD-16 was once GOP leaning but that ship sailed when Trump won.

I agree with the conclusion (the district is going to be strongly Democratic) but somehow opposition to Trump feels less salient despite him running an active campaign. Maybe because Republicans can credibly claim to want another candidate to win.

Anyway, the real decider here (and in 14) is the growth of the reliably Democratic South Asian vote.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies