Which of the NAACP's demands do you support?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 03:55:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Which of the NAACP's demands do you support?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...
Ban on knee/choke holds

Use of Force Continuum

Open Records Act

Citizen's Review Boards

NOTA

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 67

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Which of the NAACP's demands do you support?  (Read 1093 times)
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 03, 2023, 03:38:18 PM »

This came up on my Facebook history thing. I think these are pretty reasonable ideas, but I do worry about some of these "Citizen's Review Boards" being corrupted or another part of the blue shield. But I suppose that's true of any organization.

This briefly explains the "use of force continuum" which is pretty straightforward.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2023, 03:59:07 PM »

All of them, easily.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2023, 06:49:17 PM »

The first three easily. I support the fourth one in theory, though I am concerned that in practice, it will lead to even worse outcomes.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2023, 10:12:24 PM »

Only #4
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2023, 10:24:42 PM »

Maybe #3.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2023, 06:23:25 AM »

Doubtlessly all 4. #1 and #2 are basic requirements for any democratic country's police, but #3 and #4 would go a long way to actually start reforming police and make it an accountable and natural part of public life, rather than a mafia hired by the government.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2023, 06:34:11 PM »

Knee chokeholds are generally bad, though I'm sure there's some cases where it may be necessary to restrain a violent criminal. So I don't think they should be outright banned in all cases
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2023, 07:04:16 PM »

I would agree to #4, but I wonder if the NAACP has ever demanded that police academies start training future officers about the meaning of the Equal Protection Clause and how it pertains to police officer work. Cadets are already trained in certain other aspects of constitutional law, such as how to interrogate suspects and how to conduct lawful searches, so they ought to add training in the Supreme Court's case law about racial equality. They should be trained that it is unconstitutional to treat a suspect worse because of race or national origin. If the NAACP hasn't demanded that yet, then why don't they start doing so now?
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2023, 07:54:30 PM »

I would agree to #4, but I wonder if the NAACP has ever demanded that police academies start training future officers about the meaning of the Equal Protection Clause and how it pertains to police officer work. Cadets are already trained in certain other aspects of constitutional law, such as how to interrogate suspects and how to conduct lawful searches, so they ought to add training in the Supreme Court's case law about racial equality. They should be trained that it is unconstitutional to treat a suspect worse because of race or national origin. If the NAACP hasn't demanded that yet, then why don't they start doing so now?
Telling fully grown adults that racism is bad isn't gonna make them stop being racist
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2023, 10:02:14 PM »

3 for sure, the other ones depend on the details.
LBJer
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2023, 11:49:15 PM »

#3 and #4.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2023, 01:59:35 PM »

Telling fully grown adults that racism is bad isn't gonna make them stop being racist

Not just "bad," but unconstitutional.

Are you contending that police officers who have killed people have done so because no one told them that killing people was against the law?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2023, 02:19:21 PM »

Bringing an Equal Protection claim against a police officer or department is difficult and most successful cases involve showing an explicit policy targeting a racial minority (e.g. stop-and-frisk in New York, Arpaio's immigration enforcement policies in Phoenix).

Because these are top-down policies, these kinds of claims are far less common than unlawful searches or interrogations, where individual incidents are often unconstitutional. EPC is thus much less relevant to training of individual officers.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2023, 11:11:29 PM »

Not just "bad," but unconstitutional.

Are you contending that police officers who have killed people have done so because no one told them that killing people was against the law?

No, I am not contending that.
If you have made this kind of straw man accusation a habit of yours, I ought to buy you a big bale of hay and lots of little doll's clothes so you can make lots more.
I am contending that lots of police officers probably make use of racial profiling quite frequently, because they think that racial profiling is just as acceptable as any other kind of profiling, and if so, then maybe lessons about how racial discrimination is more legally unacceptable than any other kind of discrimination would curtail the use of racial profiling. I am contending that police officers ought to be taught about the difference between rational basis reasoning than strict scrutiny reasoning, so that they can see why it would be that racial profiling is constitutionally unacceptable. Things like THAT are what I am contending.
Geez, maybe the next time I see one of your posts, I'll throw a straw man your way, and see how you like it.

~~~
Donerail: Yes, establishing a prima facie case against the police is going to be difficult. But I am not talking here about how to litigate against the police, am I? I am only talking here about what to teach prospective police officers as they are trained. Teaching prospective police officers about the difficulty of establishing a prima facie case will probably give them an "easy out" if they are indeed racists, as they can predict what might happen to them if they do end up practicing racial profiling, but on the other hand, learning about the unconstitutionality of racial profiling might at least give many future officers a conscience.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2023, 08:31:35 AM »

Practically in love with #3
Favorable towards #2
Kinda unsure about #1
Cautiously against #4, but I'm pretty indecisive on this one
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2023, 02:44:54 PM »

We are gonna all vote in 24 to find out if blks get reparations Gallegos not Sinema is gonna be in S
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2023, 07:30:24 PM »

All of them
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies