Dianne Feinstein expressed confusion about Kamala Harris presiding over the Senate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 07:50:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Dianne Feinstein expressed confusion about Kamala Harris presiding over the Senate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Dianne Feinstein expressed confusion about Kamala Harris presiding over the Senate  (Read 1810 times)
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2023, 03:28:19 PM »

To hell with the Pelosis and their allies including that grandstanding jackass Schiff. Their disgusting cynicism is shameful even by the low standards of the disreputable “profession” of politics.

The Pelosis aren't much better than the Republican establishment. It's all the same thing.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2023, 03:31:37 PM »

There should be tests that one has to pass in order to be an elected official. I mean, if a janitor or clerk has to pass a civil service exam, the people who run our country should have to as well

We do.  They’re known as elections.

Also, politics isn't a profession.

Good, we shouldn't be paying them in that case.

They should be paid unless you want bribery to become commonplace.

The voters are responsible for this too...

Continuing to elect the same person over & over again, regardless of anything that comes up, simply because of "blue no matter what" or "republican no matter what", doesn't help. It leads to situations to this.

At this point, California - a state of 40 million residents - is represented by 2 senators (which is already unfairly distributed), and 1 of them someone suffering from dementia who belongs in a rest home, not the senate. And it's sad because it deprives California from the opportunity to raise the name or elect a new talented politician who might be a future presidential contendor.

But yea, its what you deserve if you elect an 85+ year old woman to the senate.

That's not even the case here since Feinstein's last election was against another Democrat.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2023, 03:37:49 PM »

There should be tests that one has to pass in order to be an elected official. I mean, if a janitor or clerk has to pass a civil service exam, the people who run our country should have to as well

The voters are responsible for this too...

Continuing to elect the same person over & over again, regardless of anything that comes up, simply because of "blue no matter what" or "republican no matter what", doesn't help. It leads to situations to this.

At this point, California - a state of 40 million residents - is represented by 2 senators (which is already unfairly distributed), and 1 of them someone suffering from dementia who belongs in a rest home, not the senate. And it's sad because it deprives California from the opportunity to raise the name or elect a new talented politician who might be a future presidential contendor.

But yea, its what you deserve if you elect an 85+ year old woman to the senate.

That's not even the case here since Feinstein's last election was against another Democrat.

And the California Democratic Party establishment endorsed her opponent.
Thank you for being a friend...
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2023, 03:40:30 PM »

Staffer: "Senator, Today you meet with the Vice President for lunch."

Dianne: "Tell Dick I've got to cancel."
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2023, 03:55:25 PM »

I understand why people think that requiring age tests would be a good idea, but such things can lead to a bad precedence that could be weaponized in a future scenario.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2023, 04:33:55 PM »
« Edited: May 29, 2023, 04:46:23 PM by ingemann »

Honestly I’m disappointed that no one has come with the obvious joke.

“In Feinstein’s defense I think most of us are confused about why Kamala Harris presides over the Senate”
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2023, 04:42:50 PM »

There needs to be an age limit for the Senate if we can not achieve the democratic goal of getting rid of the Senate in the first place.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2023, 04:49:11 PM »

Staffer: "Senator, Today you meet with the Vice President for lunch."

Dianne: "Tell Dick I've got to cancel."

I believe the actual quote is "fire truck."
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2023, 05:00:05 PM »

“In Feinstein’s defense I think most of us are confused about why Kamala Harris presides over the Senate”

That's not exactly a knee slapper so I wouldn't expect anyone to think of it.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2023, 05:22:30 PM »

Not funny.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2023, 05:55:01 PM »

Is it really elder abuse?  She's had health problems, but she's hardly the first elderly Senator to be in this condition in the Senate.  

Does she want to be in the Senate?  If she does, she gets to do so.  She was elected.

People aren't concerned about Feinstein's well-being.  They're concerned about her ability to show up and vote, and are terrified that she'd be unable to vote and the GOP would prevail on an important piece of legislation.  Now I get this; it's politics and things are for keeps.  But the time to have addressed this issue was in 2018 when she was running for reelection.

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2023, 06:00:53 PM »

Is it really elder abuse?  She's had health problems, but she's hardly the first elderly Senator to be in this condition in the Senate.  

Does she want to be in the Senate?  If she does, she gets to do so.  She was elected.

People aren't concerned about Feinstein's well-being.  They're concerned about her ability to show up and vote, and are terrified that she'd be unable to vote and the GOP would prevail on an important piece of legislation.  Now I get this; it's politics and things are for keeps.  But the time to have addressed this issue was in 2018 when she was running for reelection.

Strom Thurmond was literally in better mental condition when he left the Senate than Feinstein is right now.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2023, 06:08:28 PM »

Strom Thurmond was literally in better mental condition when he left the Senate than Feinstein is right now.

She can resign right now if she wants to.

She's not the President.  She's one of 100 Senators.  The Democratic Party put her forth in 2018 knowing her age.  She doesn't have to quit and the people elected her.

Of course this is inconvenient for the Democratic Party.  Tough on them.  The Constitution doesn't recognize political parties.  The seat belongs to Dianne Feinstein until her term is up, and there is no Constitutional basis to remove her. 
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2023, 06:09:13 PM »

I understand why people think that requiring age tests would be a good idea, but such things can lead to a bad precedence that could be weaponized in a future scenario.
I agree with you here.  Certainly every elected official should be able to pass a mental acuity test but it's not the role of the board of elections to force candidates to take such tests.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2023, 06:30:55 PM »

ummmm
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2023, 06:32:43 PM »

This is not true.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2023, 06:51:39 PM »

This is not true.

Being an elected official is not a profession.

Being a campaign consultant has become one.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2023, 07:19:10 PM »

The fact that there's no push to remove her from her position means that all 99 of her colleagues think torturing someone with Alzheimer's is an acceptable cost of doing business. Never forget that. There is no member of the Senate with any moral boundaries whatsoever

Or it’s just not their problem that someone who signed up for the job can’t handle the pressure? She voted the exact same way any other Senator from CA would anyways, lol.
Endorsing elder abuse is low even for you

That is a mighty big charge to be throwing around without all the facts. I can speak from experience to the fact that it is not always easy to get an elderly person to do what you and most others think is best for them. For me it was my mother refusing to leave her home or have someone move in with her while her health declined the last 2 years of her life. I hated her stubbornness but respected her decision. We don't know if those around Feinstein have tried to talk her into resigning, we just know as of now she is not willing to do it.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2023, 07:44:00 PM »

The fact that there's no push to remove her from her position means that all 99 of her colleagues think torturing someone with Alzheimer's is an acceptable cost of doing business. Never forget that. There is no member of the Senate with any moral boundaries whatsoever

Or it’s just not their problem that someone who signed up for the job can’t handle the pressure? She voted the exact same way any other Senator from CA would anyways, lol.
Endorsing elder abuse is low even for you

That is a mighty big charge to be throwing around without all the facts. I can speak from experience to the fact that it is not always easy to get an elderly person to do what you and most others think is best for them. For me it was my mother refusing to leave her home or have someone move in with her while her health declined the last 2 years of her life. I hated her stubbornness but respected her decision. We don't know if those around Feinstein have tried to talk her into resigning, we just know as of now she is not willing to do it.

Agreed. It was a struggle for my family to get my grandmother to go to her doctor's appointments sometimes and to keep her hearing aids on. I'd be surprised if Feinstein's family has not tried to talk to her about stepping down. It's a fine line in trying to reason with an elderly person in declining health, because too much pressure can be elder abuse in itself.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2023, 08:01:00 PM »

Does anybody know what kind of job she's doing since she got back? In a wheelchair. She's working part time I hear, but still has lingering health issues.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2023, 08:01:14 PM »

*crickets*
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2023, 08:22:59 PM »

Feinstein has been in some form of elected office since 1970, so it's hard to argue that politics isn't a career for some people
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2023, 01:28:05 AM »

Feinstein should not resign because if she does, the GOP will refuse to replace her seat on the judiciary committee.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2023, 01:33:45 AM »

Feinstein should not resign because if she does, the GOP will refuse to replace her seat on the judiciary committee.

This.
Republicans once again made a mockery out of senate's rules and that's why Feinstein can't resign now even if she wanted to do so.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2023, 01:33:54 AM »

They might just figure out a way to refuse to seat anyone Newsom appoints to replace her at all if they can get one of Manchin/Sinema to go along with it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies