SB 115-35 RAILS Act (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:46:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 115-35 RAILS Act (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SB 115-35 RAILS Act (Failed)  (Read 895 times)
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 22, 2023, 03:00:43 PM »
« edited: June 08, 2023, 07:33:31 AM by Laki 🇧🇪❤️🇺🇦 »

RAILS Act

An act to improve rail infrastructure and make the railroad industry more competitive
I. Title
1. The title of this legislation shall be the Railroad Advancement and Investment for Long-term Sustainability Act, shortened to RAILS Act.
II. Railroad Restructuring
1. The Federal Railroad Administration shall be renamed the Consolidated Rail Administration, shortened to Conrail.
2. Conrail shall, at a fair price, purchase the main and branch line railroads of all Class I and Class II railways located within the 48 continental states of Atlasia.
3. All railroads owned the the National Railroad Passenger Corporation (Amtrak) shall be placed under the control of Conrail.
4. Conrail shall be responsible for maintaining and upgrading the railroads under its control, for constructing new railroads as it sees fit, and for facilitating the connection of new customers and rail yards to its network.
5. Conrail shall, for a reasonable fee, allow private operators of freight and passenger trains to utilize its network. Any operator shall be permitted to access all portions of the network, except for railroads which are restricted due to safety reasons or high passenger traffic, and no private operator shall be granted exclusive rights over any section of track.
6. Conrail shall, for no fee, allow publicly operated passenger trains to utilize its network.
III. Railroads for the Future
1. $5 billion shall be appropriated to Conrail for the purposes of electrifying and double tracking railroads under its control.
2. Operators shall only use electric locomotives on electrified rail lines owned by Conrail, except for distances under 50 miles or if granted a special permit by Conrail.
3. The purchase of electric locomotives shall not be subject to sales tax by any level of government.
4. Amtrak shall no longer be required to operate with the intention of earning a profit.
IV. Timing
1. This act shall take effect sixty (60) days from the date of passage.

Authorship Statement: ChatGPT came up with the title of this bill. However, none of the content of this bill was written with the assistance of ChatGPT or other A.I.

Sponsor: Sirius
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2023, 03:25:48 PM »

This bill represents a major overhaul of railways, which I believe is necessary for future sustainability. This bill would order the federal government to purchase all railways in the country except for short lines. This would put Atlasia in line with how other nations with more expansive rail service run their infrastructure. For too long, a small collection of corporations holding regional monopolies or duopolies have put a stranglehold on the potential of our rail infrastructure. These corporations have become far too powerful. They lack competition, and have ended up with no incentive to improve our infrastructure. They have taken short sighted actions for their own profit, and have neglected infrastructure which is in the public's interest to maintain. Their power has allowed them to get in the way of passenger service even in violation of the law and maintain poor working conditions. Under my plan that would end. The federal government would own and maintain the railways for the public interest, not for profit. Private enterprise in the rail industry would still be permitted, and in fact I believe it would flourish. No longer would the industry act monopolistically. Private freight carriers would have access to the entire national network, and customers would have a choice in who they ship freight with. Passenger rail would also be allowed to flourish. The priority of passenger trains would be protected, and Amtrak would have a much easier time expanding it's services. While we have invested in dedicated high speed railways, a robust conventional network for short to medium journeys is a cornerstone of any good passenger network. This act also raises funds for improvements to our railway infrastructure. Most railways currently operate with single tracks and diesel power. This is because the rail companies are too stingy to invest in infrastructure. Electrification and double tracking are sorely needed to unleash our rail potential, especially for passenger service.

Some of you may find this to be a radical bill, but if you do I would ask, would you consider it reasonable for trucking companies to own interstate highways? To hold ultimate power over who uses those highways, and be allowed to neglect them? I would consider that radical. This is no different.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2023, 03:09:38 PM »

The reason why they have become a monopoly is because the gov't let them become a monopoly.

The reason why they violate the laws and regulations regarding passenger service is because the gov't lets them.

The reason why the gov't allowed them to merge is because it didn't have any other solution to their unprofitability after the gov't subsidized the creation of the highways and the airports, while leaving the railroads taxed as private property.

So what is the solution to a problem caused by terrible regulation, turning a blind eye to monopolization and creating government funded competition? More of all of it.

This replaces a private sector monopoly with a government one.

The gov't choose to sabotage the American rail system repeatedly over the last hundred years, though wartime seizures, subsidized and socialized competition and lack of oversight and anti-trust enforcement.

Nationalization is not the answer to this problem.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2023, 03:38:35 PM »

The reason why they have become a monopoly is because the gov't let them become a monopoly.

The reason why they violate the laws and regulations regarding passenger service is because the gov't lets them.

The reason why the gov't allowed them to merge is because it didn't have any other solution to their unprofitability after the gov't subsidized the creation of the highways and the airports, while leaving the railroads taxed as private property.

So what is the solution to a problem caused by terrible regulation, turning a blind eye to monopolization and creating government funded competition? More of all of it.

This replaces a private sector monopoly with a government one.

The gov't choose to sabotage the American rail system repeatedly over the last hundred years, though wartime seizures, subsidized and socialized competition and lack of oversight and anti-trust enforcement.

Nationalization is not the answer to this problem.
In the 21st century we can no longer justify leaving ownership of this public infrastructure in the hands of private enterprises. They gave up any right they once had to owning the railroads with how badly they neglected them. Do you expect these companies to fix the problems on their own? They've refused. Do you have a better plan? Breaking up the railroad companies won't eliminate local monopolies, nor will it force them to improve their infrastructure. Do you propose the government should force them to fix it? That sounds like what you said was not the solution, and at this point that would be an inefficient way of handling this.

And I should remind you that we're talking about infrastructure, not industry. I have not included any provision to nationalize rail freight carriers and while I am a supporter of Amtrak I have left the door open to private passenger operations as well. There is no "government monopoly" here, no more so than the interstate highway system.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2023, 05:07:45 PM »

You know its going to go well when someone starts off with a phrase or direct statement asserting that I am "stuck in the past", or "need to get with the times".

Let's leave that kind of thing to OSR.

They gave up any right they once had to owning the railroads with how badly they neglected them

So private property exists up to the point of good behavior, and government monopoly is the default answer in the absence of such.

Do you expect these companies to fix the problems on their own? They've refused.

Where did I say that?

Of course bc IRL they have armies of lobbyists and corruption to get around regulators. These do not exist in Atlasia.

Yes, I do actually.

Breaking up the railroad companies won't eliminate local monopolies,

Depends on how you break them up.

nor will it force them to improve their infrastructure.

Its two separate issues, I never implied otherwise. You are the one saying that federal gov't fiat is the magic elixir. The problem is that is a never ending paradigm.

Central planning will always "on paper", fix every last problem you can think of. The question is not whether it promises to do so, but whether it 1) will actually deliver and 2) what are you giving up is worth it for the actual (not promised, actual) results that will be obtained.

Do you propose the government should force them to fix it? That sounds like what you said was not the solution, and at this point that would be an inefficient way of handling this.

Sounds more like your solution than mine, actually.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2023, 05:45:47 PM »

You call it "magic elixir" and something that only works "on paper" as if this isn't how it's done in nearly every country with a decent rail network. Germany, France, Italy, Switzerland, even Russia does a better job managing it's railroads than us, and they do it through state ownership of the railways. This isn't like communist planned economics, this is a proven system.

You want countries with a modern, dense privatized rail network that has decent passenger services? There is only one, Japan. And that has not come about through competition. The majority of the country's network is controlled by the privatized Japan Railway companies which are rather monopolistic in nature. And I'm hardly enthusiastic to try something that's only worked once.

If you're serious about the supposed to be benefits of privately owned infrastructure then why don't you introduce legislation to privatize the interstate highway system. Privatize water lines, and subways, and canals, screw the government, right? You could prove me wrong, but I think deep down you know that's ludicrous. Infrastructure just doesn't benefit from privatization and competition in the same way that industry does. It's monopolistic in nature, and it's better off as a public monopoly than a private one.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2023, 11:59:57 PM »

Strongly supportive of this. The railway system needs to be nationalized.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2023, 01:20:03 PM »

As a citizen who often uses our nations railways, I fully support this
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2023, 02:27:17 PM »

RAILS Act

An act to improve rail infrastructure and make the railroad industry more competitive
I. Title
1. The title of this legislation shall be the Railroad Advancement and Investment for Long-term Sustainability Act, shortened to RAILS Act.
1. The Federal Railroad Administration shall be renamed the Consolidated Rail Administration, shortened to Conrail.
2. Conrail shall, at a fair price, purchase the main and branch line railroads of all Class I and Class II railroads located within the 48 continental states of Atlasia.
3. All railroads owned the the National Railroad Passenger Corporation (Amtrak) shall be placed under the control of Conrail.
4. Conrail shall be responsible for maintaining and upgrading the railroads under its control, for constructing new railroads as it sees fit, and for facilitating the connection of new customers and rail yards to its network.
5. Conrail shall, for a reasonable fee, allow private operators of freight and passenger trains to utilize its network. Any operator shall be permitted to access all portions of the network, except for railroads which are restricted due to safety reasons or high passenger traffic, and no private operator shall be granted exclusive rights over any section of track.
6. Conrail shall, for no fee, allow publicly operated passenger trains to utilize its network.
[/s][/s]
[/s] [/s] [/s]
1. $5 billion shall be appropriated to Conrail for the purposes of electrifying and double tracking railroads under its control.
2. Operators shall only use electric locomotives on electrified rail lines owned by Conrail, except for distances under 50 miles or if granted a special permit by Conrail.
3. The purchase of electric locomotives shall not be subject to sales tax by any level of government.
4. Amtrak shall no longer be required to operate with the intention of earning a profit.
[/s][/s]
IV. Timing
1. This act shall take effect sixty (60) days from the date of passage.[/s][/s]

Authorship Statement: ChatGPT came up with the title of this bill. However, none of the content of this bill was written with the assistance of ChatGPT or other A.I.

LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2023, 09:44:13 PM »

RAILS Act

I. Title
2. Conrail shall, at a fair price, purchase the main and branch line railroads of all Class I and Class II railroads located within the 48 continental states of Atlasia.
[/s][/s]
[/s] [/s] [/s]
[/s][/s]
IV. Timing
1. This act shall take effect sixty (60) days from the date of passage.[/s][/s]

Can you explain this amendment?

UNL amendment proposed, 24 hours to object.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2023, 09:44:51 PM »

I object.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2023, 11:00:20 PM »

A vote will now start on the amendment
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2023, 11:00:52 PM »

Nay
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2023, 11:03:34 PM »

Can you explain this amendment?

UNL amendment proposed, 24 hours to object.
It looks like it was probably formatted incorrectly but as it stands it would remove the provisions to nationalize class II railroads (which are medium sized regional railroads) and to transfer Amtrak tracks to the new Conrail.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2023, 11:35:46 PM »

Aye
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2023, 12:00:21 AM »

Nay
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2023, 12:12:05 AM »

You call it "magic elixir" and something that only works "on paper" as if this isn't how it's done in nearly every country with a decent rail network. Germany, France, Italy, Switzerland, even Russia does a better job managing it's railroads than us, and they do it through state ownership of the railways. This isn't like communist planned economics, this is a proven system.

I wouldn't be citing Russia's infrastructure system at a time like this. And though you didn't cite it, China's nearly bankrupted itself building rail lines to nowhere.

You want countries with a modern, dense privatized rail network that has decent passenger services? There is only one, Japan. And that has not come about through competition. The majority of the country's network is controlled by the privatized Japan Railway companies which are rather monopolistic in nature. And I'm hardly enthusiastic to try something that's only worked once.

We had this though. We had all of this with a private system. It was dense, it had passenger service, it was very competitive (not a monopoly) and it was all privately owned.

Then the gov't:
1. Nationalized the Railways to fight two world wars without fully compensating them for the damage and wear and tear
2. Subsidized and directly funded competing infrastructure models before they recovered, while
3. Leaving the railroads doubled taxed.
4. Regulated them into oblivion and denied them the opportunity to consolidate over-saturated markets after,
4. The federal gov't purposely instituted a policy to deindustrialize the Northeast and Midwest
5. Then once it realized it screwed up, went from one extreme to the other
6. Failed to Regulate and
7. Allowed the railroads to merge into large monopolies.

This is a problem that the gov't orchestrated by sabotaging the railroads and then responding by going hog wild neoliberal as an overreaction.

If you're serious about the supposed to be benefits of privately owned infrastructure then why don't you introduce legislation to privatize the interstate highway system. Privatize water lines, and subways, and canals, screw the government, right? You could prove me wrong, but I think deep down you know that's ludicrous.

Don't talk to me like I'm fing Deadprez Sirius. I am not some ancap who wants to dismantle the gov't.

Infrastructure just doesn't benefit from privatization and competition in the same way that industry does. It's monopolistic in nature, and it's better off as a public monopoly than a private one.

Oh really?

Look at the various public transportation monopolies in New York City. Much of the money gets siphoned by crooks in the city gov't, ridiculous contracts, skimming off the top etc, or just lost in the bureaucracy.

The reality is, IRL anyway, that regardless of whether it is public or private, you are going to get the same result in the United States, because the United States is overrun with Nimbys, lawyers, and consultants who permeate every level, with the hand stretched out to fund their rich lifestyles. Its not just the private sector that has been corrupted by this, its the public sector as well. Its why CA couldn't build a high speed rail service without the costs exploding beyond all imagination.

The difference between us is not some straw man ancap versus socialist debate, which I am sure you would love for me to give you, but if YT was surprised that I refused the two poison chalices he offered me, don't be surprised if I reject both here as well.

I don't trust EITHER and that is why I don't want EITHER to have a monopoly.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2023, 01:03:34 AM »

My point is not to paint you as an ancap nor myself as a socialist as I am not one, it is to ask why railroads should be treated differently from other forms of infrastructure, something which you have not answered. You can go on and on about the history as much as you want, but that is only history, it is not an argument against this policy today. The de-monopolized private railroad system you describe has not existed in decades and has not been replicated in recent times anywhere in the world.

Besides that, what you suggest is not truly de-monopolization. It is rather a collection of regional monopolies. There would be more of them, sure, but most customers would realistically only have one choice. This is yet another reason why infrastructure is not the same as industry and should not be treated the same. We already figured this out in most cases. The private railroads of the past were in fact incredibly corrupt and wielded their monopolistic power for unscrupulous gains, and there is no reason that can not happen again even if there are more companies again. The only true way to de-monopolize the railroad industry is to establish a state monopoly on railroad infrastructure and to allow equal access to all private operators throughout the national network, and that is exactly what I propose. It is also exactly how the trucking industry works and I don't think anyone here believes that trucking is suffering from government monopolization. Only then will customers have a multitude of options to choose from.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2023, 02:00:53 AM »

My only problem with this bill is that I don't like the name 'Conrail'-well done Senator.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2023, 06:12:45 AM »

Aye on the amendment.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2023, 07:27:04 AM »

Aye
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2023, 09:51:20 AM »

Nay on amendment
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2023, 10:36:40 AM »

Nay
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2023, 11:47:07 AM »

Nay
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2023, 02:46:25 PM »

Aye

I really had to think about this one, but I've generally been skeptical of nationalization whether that's steel or rail, which as Yankee said would come with the same problems. I am curious to hear Yankee's plan, though.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies