LGC 13.17 - Amendment to Limit Powers of Acting Public Officials - Failed
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:13:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  LGC 13.17 - Amendment to Limit Powers of Acting Public Officials - Failed
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LGC 13.17 - Amendment to Limit Powers of Acting Public Officials - Failed  (Read 344 times)
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 21, 2023, 09:45:22 PM »
« edited: May 26, 2023, 01:25:23 PM by Lincoln Speaker Dwarven Dragon »

Amendment
To Limit Powers Of Acting Public Officials

The Constitution of Lincoln shall be amended as follows:

Quote from: Article II

4. Should the governor vacate their office either by their death, removal, forfeiture, or resignation, then the speaker of the General Court, or if there be no speaker the deputy with the longest continuous service, shall act as governor until a successor may be elected. If there is neither a speaker nor any deputies of the General Court, then the powers and duties of the governor shall devolve upon the associate justice of the circuit court, or if there be none such officer as the president of Atlasia may appoint from among the citizens of Lincoln, until a successor may be elected. The acting governor need not shall vacate their seat in the General Court, but they shall have no vote in its proceedings so long as they continue to exercise the powers of the governor.

5. The acting governor shall have limited executive powers for the duration of their term. The acting governor may not sponsor legislation without a co-sponsor. The acting governor shall not have the power to cast a tie-breaking vote in the General Court, unless a motion to allow a tie-breaking vote is supported by two-thirds of all sitting deputies, not including the acting governor. In the event a tie-breaking motion does not pass, or results in a tie, the bill shall be tabled. The acting governor shall not have the power to appoint replacement deputies to General Court vacancies. All pardons, reprieves, and executive orders issued by the acting governor must obtain the support of the General Court in a majority vote, not including the acting governor.

6. A special election for Governor shall begin on the Friday following the creation of the vacancy of that office; but if the vacancy shall occur on a Wednesday or Thursday, the special election shall begin on the second Friday following the creation of the vacancy; but if this would make such election concurrent with or later than the next regular election, the special shall be cancelled and the acting official will serve the rest of the term.

Sponsor: Pyro
Occupying: Slot 2 of 10
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2023, 09:56:33 PM »

I'll be opposing this amendment, which amounts to a blatant power grab by a disgruntled political faction. To take away the power to propose legislation from a duly elected member of the LGC, based on them taking an office that they are required to take in this situation, is truly beyond the pale. To kneecap legislation that would normally enjoy the LGC's majority support, if not for the quirk of the nature of having an acting governor at a given time, is similarly beyond the pale. Further, the provisions mostly eliminating the various other powers of an acting governor leave the region ill-prepared to respond to a crisis. While this may work fine assuming the LGC is mostly constituted, Section 4 also contemplates a situation where an acting governor is appointed by the Preisdent as a result of an event eliminating the governor and all deputies of the LGC. If this were to happen, then under this amendment, the region would operate in total anarchy for weeks with an acting governor who has no actual power. One could imagine all sorts of ways a YT type character could take advantage of this situation.

Further, I am not naive of the reasons why this is coming up. Let's be clear. All I acheived during my so-called "reign" was:

1. Made two appointments to the LGC, which despite fanfare, were both later confirmed in special elections.

2. Reinstated a CRT ban that had previously been approved by a Labor Governor.

3. Issued a series of minor executive orders and non-binding censures.

There's no need for this blatant and dangerous tantrum. I urge all deputies to vote No.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2023, 10:31:02 PM »

I also cannot support this. The current system is fine and there is no need to change it, just because Labor is no longer in complete control of Lincoln.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2023, 10:41:30 PM »

Thank you, Mr. Speaker. This proposal is designed to ensure that acting governors have limited powers, seeing as their ascension to that office is not one granted or consented to by the voters. As such, this would ensure that the Lincoln General Court will operate democratically in that brief period in which the governor's office is officially vacant. Non-elected acting governors, in my view, should not have the extensive authority to cast essential tie-breaking votes nor appoint individuals to vacancies. Likewise, the use of pardoning should be approved by the LGC when such pardons are issued by a temporary, acting official.

Recent events have proven the risks posed by having an unchecked acting governor. I believe that by enacting these common sense reforms, or, in the very least allowing this proposal to be judged by the voters, we will guarantee a more democratic legislature.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2023, 10:50:01 PM »

To take away the power to propose legislation from a duly elected member of the LGC, based on them taking an office that they are required to take in this situation, is truly beyond the pale.

Governors require a sponsor. Acting governors should also require a sponsor.

To kneecap legislation that would normally enjoy the LGC's majority support, if not for the quirk of the nature of having an acting governor at a given time, is similarly beyond the pale.

Tie-breaking votes do, by definition, mean the legislation did not enjoy majority support.

Further, the provisions mostly eliminating the various other powers of an acting governor leave the region ill-prepared to respond to a crisis.

Requesting that a non-elected official receive support from the elected LGC is good, actually.

While this may work fine assuming the LGC is mostly constituted, Section 4 also contemplates a situation where an acting governor is appointed by the Preisdent as a result of an event eliminating the governor and all deputies of the LGC. If this were to happen, then under this amendment, the region would operate in total anarchy for weeks with an acting governor who has no actual power.

Noted - I will amend this.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2023, 10:51:45 PM »

I propose the following amendment:

Amendment
To Limit Powers Of Acting Public Officials

The Constitution of Lincoln shall be amended as follows:

Quote from: Article II

4. Should the governor vacate their office either by their death, removal, forfeiture, or resignation, then the speaker of the General Court, or if there be no speaker the deputy with the longest continuous service, shall act as governor until a successor may be elected. If there is neither a speaker nor any deputies of the General Court, then the powers and duties of the governor shall devolve upon the associate justice of the circuit court, or if there be none such officer as the president of Atlasia may appoint from among the citizens of Lincoln, until a successor may be elected. The acting governor need not shall vacate their seat in the General Court, but they shall have no vote in its proceedings so long as they continue to exercise the powers of the governor.

5. The acting governor shall have limited executive powers for the duration of their term. The acting governor may not sponsor legislation without a co-sponsor. The acting governor shall not have the power to cast a tie-breaking vote in the General Court, unless a motion to allow a tie-breaking vote is supported by two-thirds of all sitting deputies, not including the acting governor. In the event a tie-breaking motion does not pass, or results in a tie, the bill shall be tabled. The acting governor shall not have the power to appoint replacement deputies to General Court vacancies. All pardons, reprieves, and executive orders issued by the acting governor must obtain the support of the General Court in a majority vote, not including the acting governor.
a. The above shall not apply should there be no deputies of the General Court.

6. A special election for Governor shall begin on the Friday following the creation of the vacancy of that office; but if the vacancy shall occur on a Wednesday or Thursday, the special election shall begin on the second Friday following the creation of the vacancy; but if this would make such election concurrent with or later than the next regular election, the special shall be cancelled and the acting official will serve the rest of the term.

GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2023, 10:58:22 PM »

I'm ok with this. I'd feel more sympathetic to wulfric had one of his appointments not had an explicitly political purpose. But, in the appointment post, he made it clear it was for political reasons.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2023, 10:58:29 PM »

No objection to the amendment, although I remain opposed to this legislation as a whole.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2023, 10:59:40 PM »

I'm ok with this. I'd feel more sympathetic to wulfric had one of his appointments not had an explicitly political purpose. But, in the appointment post, he made it clear it was for political reasons.

I could perhaps understand more if that appointment had resulted in anything concrete, but in the end, it did not. And it was confirmed by the populace.
Oleg 🇰🇿🤝🇺🇦
Oleg
Kazakhstan

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2023, 12:36:03 AM »

I've been wanting to come up with an act that could limit the power of the governor and the acting governor to prevent separatism and/or dictatorship or just total slot-filling by the governor, but at the same time leave the governor the right to turn the region away from the reefs if the crew decides not to notice the reefs. Luckily, we currently have a very competent crew who successfully solve problems, but nothing lasts forever.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2023, 09:56:49 PM »

I motion for a final vote.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2023, 10:50:50 PM »

A vote on this is beginning

Nay
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2023, 10:54:08 PM »

Abstain
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2023, 11:12:27 PM »

Aye
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2023, 10:50:32 AM »

Aye
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2023, 01:24:11 PM »

Nay, I would support this if the acting Governor was given the power to break ties.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2023, 01:25:10 PM »
« Edited: May 27, 2023, 03:17:54 PM by Lincoln Speaker Dwarven Dragon »

The Vote is 2-2-1, however amendments require the affirmative vote of 2/3 of all sitting deputies. Therefore, the amendment fails.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies