What would we be missing if Australia didn't exist?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:08:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What would we be missing if Australia didn't exist?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What would we be missing if Australia didn't exist?  (Read 963 times)
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 21, 2023, 09:27:14 PM »

...Men At Work?

...Mad Max?

...The Crocodile Hunter?

I think The Simpsons summed it up well:

I think Australians (and New Zealanders for that matter) on the internet often have awfully big egos for being citizens of a country that has contributed practically nothing of value to world history except exploitation and genocide of indigenous peoples. The US did that too, sure, but we ALSO did a lot of other stuff! Australia is like that if that's ALL we did...
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2023, 09:32:13 PM »

The Australian version of Survivor is pretty good. The Australian version of The Amazing Race is OK.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2023, 10:15:01 PM »
« Edited: May 21, 2023, 10:33:23 PM by Roll Roons »

There's actually a book from the 60s called the "Lucky Country" which outright states that Australia is a prosperous country not because of its citizens' hard work or innovative capabilities, but because it's full of natural resources and hard to invade.

Funny part is that a lot of Australians completely miss the book's message and often call themselves "the lucky country" thinking it's a compliment when it was actually calling them thoroughly mediocre.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2023, 10:17:58 PM »

...Men At Work?

...Mad Max?

...The Crocodile Hunter?

I think Australians (and New Zealanders for that matter) on the internet often have awfully big egos for being citizens of a country that has contributed practically nothing of value to world history except exploitation and genocide of indigenous peoples. The US did that too, sure, but we ALSO did a lot of other stuff! Australia is like that if that's ALL we did...
Australia has some pretty good emo bands.

(Warning: That video is arguably a bit graphic if you're squeamish. Song is incredible though.)

Also Hillsong's music is good.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2023, 10:25:52 PM »

Australians like to imagine themselves as tough, but the truth is that the average Californian is probably more comfortable around guns than the average Australian.
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2023, 10:48:08 PM »

...Men At Work?

...Mad Max?

...The Crocodile Hunter?

I think Australians (and New Zealanders for that matter) on the internet often have awfully big egos for being citizens of a country that has contributed practically nothing of value to world history except exploitation and genocide of indigenous peoples...
If this is your attempt at a steal man, this speaks volumes. I'd say something about Seppos knowing jack about the world but that would be redundant given your 'immense knowledge'. As you seem to be capable of internet usage maybe you look up WiFi for starters Wink.

Australians like to imagine themselves as tough, but the truth is that the average Californian is probably more comfortable around guns than the average Australian.
the Average Californian get shot more too Tongue

There's actually a book from the 60s called the "Lucky Country" which outright states that Australia is a prosperous country not because of its citizens' hard work or innovative capabilities, but because it's full of natural resources and hard to invade.

Funny part is that a lot of Australians completely miss the book's message and often call themselves "the lucky country" thinking it's a compliment when it was actually calling them thoroughly mediocre.
To be fair its calling our politicians sub par, which is true.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2023, 11:40:09 PM »

...Men At Work?

...Mad Max?

...The Crocodile Hunter?

I think Australians (and New Zealanders for that matter) on the internet often have awfully big egos for being citizens of a country that has contributed practically nothing of value to world history except exploitation and genocide of indigenous peoples...
If this is your attempt at a steal man, this speaks volumes. I'd say something about Seppos knowing jack about the world but that would be redundant given your 'immense knowledge'. As you seem to be capable of internet usage maybe you look up WiFi for starters Wink.

A quick Google search reveals this link which suggests WiFi was essentially an American invention which Australians like to take credit for because one of their scientists did some research earlier that was useful to the American inventors. I think we would have figured wireless internet out eventually anyway, to be honest...

Like I'm sorry. I'm not trying to put Australia down, honestly. I love Men At Work, Mad Max, AND The Crocodile Hunter! But I also could live without them... I'm just saying. The reason I brought this sensitive subject up anyway is because a certain Aussie on this site seems utterly obsessed with US politics and Donald Trump and I wanted to bring him down a few pegs. I'm sure most Aussies would disown him and hate Trump. The country seems like a cool place with mostly cool people. But it's worth being humbled every now and again, you know? Aussies really have no right to tell us who we should elect, especially if their ideas of good US politicians are absolutely horrendous. And those who try to tell us anyway deserve every bit of mockery that comes their way. I mean if Donald Trump is re-elected, I don't have to worry too much about it if I'm stuck all the way down in Australia LARPing as an American politico. But as an actual American citizen, I absolutely DO have to worry about the implications of that. So I'm gonna make fun of Australia when Aussies try to tell me I should vote for the man who made my life a living hell for four years straight. F--k that and f--k them.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2023, 01:49:39 AM »

They did have the greatest cricket team in history much to the chagrin of everyone else.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2023, 02:41:15 AM »

Ignoring the blatant troll nature of this thread, it's a good opportunity to recommend a great book called Progressive New World by Marilyn Lake, which explores how American social reformers in the progressive era looked to Australia (and New Zealand) as pioneers of 'new world' democracy and social legislation
AtorBoltox

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2023, 02:45:24 AM »

Also if you're talking about Meclazine, as I assume, trying to get some kind of reaction out of him over indigenous dispossession isn't going to work. He clearly doesn't give a sh**t
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2023, 07:38:19 AM »

Kangaroos.
Independents for Nihilism
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2023, 08:28:51 AM »

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2023, 09:19:17 AM »
« Edited: May 22, 2023, 09:33:36 AM by Meclazine »

1. My home.

2. Lamingtons.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2023, 09:37:32 AM »

Meclazine threafs
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2023, 11:48:32 AM »

Finding Nemo would probably take place in New Zealand or something
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2023, 11:52:58 AM »

This awesome movie https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starstruck_(1982_film).
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2023, 01:50:14 PM »

Several of the most unique animal species anywhere? I don't like a world without platypuses or echidnas.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2023, 01:19:26 AM »

The pavlova.

DISREGARD WHAT THE KIWIS SAY.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2023, 03:48:10 AM »

Well OP is being arrogant again.

Well Australia loves Eurovision for some reason (and apparently Belgium since we get ridicilously a lot of times 12 points from Australia, i swear its been like 3 times since they debuted).

Australia is known for a lot of soaps that somehow make it to our television. And I suppose a lot of reality TV shows as well.

I would say we get like more Australian television on our television screens than British ones. And also more than America when it comes to soap and reality tv on the major channels.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2023, 03:50:01 AM »

...Men At Work?

...Mad Max?

...The Crocodile Hunter?

Australia has some pretty good emo bands.

(Warning: That video is arguably a bit graphic if you're squeamish. Song is incredible though.)

Also Hillsong's music is good.

If we're talking about music, a lot of neo-psychedelia bands are Australian as well (the kind of Animal Collective ones) but than Avalanches, Pond, Tame Impala, etc.

Best Australian films are Walkabout and Picnic at Hanging Rock. More recently, i liked Babyteeth.

I don't like their accent tho LOL. It sounds very weird.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2023, 04:25:23 AM »

A great Australian man once said "maintain your rage and enthusiasm", but Alben Barkley seems to have taken the advice too literally.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2023, 11:53:27 AM »

Howard Florey, who along with Ernst Chain is responsible for turning penicillin into a useable drug, was from Adelaide. So one thing that would be missing would be millions of lives.

As far as the arts and humanities goes, Australia hasn't punched above its weight in the way that New Zealand has, but Patrick White won the Nobel Prize for Literature, Sidney Nolan was an undeniably major painter, and Robert Hughes was the greatest Art Critic since Ruskin as well as being a very fine historian. It also has a strong tradition in the performing arts: the list of notable actors and musicians from Australia is very long.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2023, 12:36:56 AM »

The digeridoo!
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2023, 01:13:23 AM »
« Edited: May 24, 2023, 07:44:37 AM by Meclazine »

Take out Bruce McLaren, Edmund Hillary, Ernest Rutherford and Sir Richard Hadlee and what do they have?

Just jokes. They bat way above their weight.

One of my senior, senior Physics mentors at the University of Adelaide was Sir Mark Oliphant, who designed the timing mechanism (air pressure trigger) for the first three atomic bombs.

3rd Atomic Bomb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I34pxr23Nhw

One Physics graduate from University of Adelaide designed a device to maximise the deaths of Japanese civilians by detonating a nuclear bomb 300m from the ground, and within two generations, another University of Adelaide Physics graduate is selling US-made vintage guitars to their distant relatives.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2023, 08:19:57 AM »

So...nothing of value?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to: