American Presidents book series
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 03:00:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  American Presidents book series
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: American Presidents book series  (Read 261 times)
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 20, 2023, 06:24:17 PM »

American President Book Series

Has anyone read any of these? I'm interested in giving them a try. A book series with an entry for each president interests me, but I'm not sure if the quality is actually any good.

They have a book for each president up through George W. Bush, but none after him. Not sure if that means the series has ended or not.
Thank you for being a friend...
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2023, 07:08:45 PM »

I like these and I also recommend the series about presidential elections.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2023, 11:06:23 AM »

I read most of them and found them very hit-or-miss depending on the author. The ones written by historians tended to be what I'd hope for: relatively short (~200 pages) examinations of the presidents lives, generally with the most emphasis placed on their presidency. However, I quite disliked some of the other books; e.g. I thought the one on McKinley descended into tangents about the author's own political inclinations and theories.

Most of the books are probably a little more positive on their subjects than might be fully warranted (a common issue with biographies), though I vaguely remember one of the books (possibly Fillmore?) was humorously over-the-top in its criticism of the subject (not that I like Fillmore).
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2023, 11:17:09 AM »

Just to throw out a resource, this guy read a huge number of presidential biographies and reviewed each of them, could be worth taking a look.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2023, 03:39:28 PM »

Could be interesting for reading bios of some lesser-known presidents like Taylor, Hayes, Fillmore, Arthur, etc. but for most presidents you'd be better off getting a proper well-respected biography.  Unfortunately such a resource doesn't exist for some more minor presidents (the site Orser67 links only has two bios for Fillmore, both mediocre) so it would be nice to have a resource that explores the character and presidency of the man with a reasonable degree of scholarliness and depth.  For others, such as Jefferson, it could be nice to get a 200-page summary of his life rather than some 900-page comprehensive tome.  But then why are you reading a bio on Jefferson in the first place?  Pretty much everyone knows who Jefferson was and what the most consequential parts of his life were... if you're really interested in relations with the Spanish during 1806 or whatever, you are probably the kind of person who wants a 900-page tome of Jefferson.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2023, 05:06:47 PM »

Could be interesting for reading bios of some lesser-known presidents like Taylor, Hayes, Fillmore, Arthur, etc. but for most presidents you'd be better off getting a proper well-respected biography.  Unfortunately such a resource doesn't exist for some more minor presidents (the site Orser67 links only has two bios for Fillmore, both mediocre) so it would be nice to have a resource that explores the character and presidency of the man with a reasonable degree of scholarliness and depth.  For others, such as Jefferson, it could be nice to get a 200-page summary of his life rather than some 900-page comprehensive tome.  But then why are you reading a bio on Jefferson in the first place?  Pretty much everyone knows who Jefferson was and what the most consequential parts of his life were... if you're really interested in relations with the Spanish during 1806 or whatever, you are probably the kind of person who wants a 900-page tome of Jefferson.

Yea.

I find it appealing that there is a series out there that includes a book for each president. I like the idea of them sitting on my shelf. But not if the series is dead (there hasn’t been a book since Dubya).

And while I’m interested in reading biographies beyond Wikipedia pages, I don’t want to read a huge a$$ biography, like David McCullough’s 1,120 page Truman book.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies