Will Kamala Harris be the D-nominee in 2028?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:14:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Will Kamala Harris be the D-nominee in 2028?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will Kamala Harris be the Democratic nominee for POTUS in 2028?
Yes, regardless of the 2024 outcome

Only if Biden/Harris win 2024 (as sitting VP)

Only as sitting POTUS (via succession)

No

Unsure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: Will Kamala Harris be the D-nominee in 2028?  (Read 1668 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 19, 2023, 09:08:02 AM »

Pretty speculative, I know, but what's your early guess? Will Kamala Harris be the Dem nominee for POTUS in 2028? As sitting VP, she'd definitely start out as the frontrunner assuming Biden wins reelection next year. But even if Biden loses, being a former VP would give her at least some advantages. Especially in a crowded field. I suspect the 2028 Dem field would be another clown car after a 2nd Trump term. Less so after 2 terms of Biden, though even then I don't believe some big names (Whitmer, Shapiro, perhaps Newsom) will just back down and leave it to Harris.

Lastly, there's also some chance Harris will enter the 2028 campaign as incumbent prez. That would most likely clear the field unless her presidency turns into a total disaster.
RFK jr fan
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2023, 09:21:41 AM »

Unsure. She will be damaged if Biden loses, but will still have support from name recognition.

If Biden wins, she will be in a strong but not unbeatable posititon.
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2023, 03:36:33 PM »
« Edited: May 19, 2023, 03:39:48 PM by Zedonathin2020 »

I hope she isn't, especially as she would be one of the worst Democrats we could put up should Biden actually win.

But she probably will, and I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being like Al Gore's run in 2000, meaning no other serious candidate runs, except for one sacrificial lamb from the party's left flank, like Nina Turner.
RFK jr fan
Rookie
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2023, 04:49:16 PM »

I hope she isn't, especially as she would be one of the worst Democrats we could put up should Biden actually win.

But she probably will, and I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being like Al Gore's run in 2000, meaning no other serious candidate runs, except for one sacrificial lamb from the party's left flank, like Nina Turner.
I see it as more like 1968. A few notable dems will challenge her, but there is still enough institutional support to keep the VP ahead.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2023, 05:14:00 PM »

I see it as more like 1968. A few notable dems will challenge her, but there is still enough institutional support to keep the VP ahead.

Hopefully it won't be like 1968 in the general election.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2023, 10:32:54 AM »

It'll be options two or three, if it's two I can see someone challenging her but coming well short of beating her. If a Republican wins 2024, I think it'll be a large field ala 2020, especially if Trump wins 24 as it'll be an open election and one that likely very heavily favors the Democrats.
indietraveler

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2023, 09:44:02 AM »

Most likely since Biden is likely to be re-elected at this point.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2023, 12:35:19 PM »

I think probably yeah, she'll have some massive advantages
Identity Thief
United States
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2023, 01:28:54 PM »

Even if Biden loses, she will still have the default support in the Southern Super Tuesday states.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2023, 01:36:23 PM »

Even if Biden loses, she will still have the default support in the Southern Super Tuesday states.

Would she? I think someone like Warnock would easily take that lane from her.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2023, 02:47:43 PM »

Lean Yes in the event of a Biden victory next year. Though I don't think she clears the field ala Gore in 2000 and Hillary in 2016. A strong challenger would likely emerge so she'd be vulnerable.

Likely No in the event of a Biden defeat.  She really hasn't proven to a good campaigner and without the institutional support that comes with being the sitting VP, I can't see here crossing the finish line. Not to mention that I suspect the desire for a fresh face would be even stronger among the Democratic primary electorate following a 2024 defeat.
the artist formerly known as catmusic
catmusic
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.16, S: -7.91

P
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2023, 07:12:25 PM »

not unless she becomes president between the 2024 election and 2028 due to Biden having to leave office or, you know.

in any other world I think she's too unpopular to win unless the other candidates are really abysmal or fringe. she might get establishment support in the beginning but they'll jump ship when the numbers don't line up for her.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2023, 07:26:27 PM »

No, I dont think she run. No sense of running if she has a risk of failing to win the primary or losing .
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2023, 09:26:12 AM »

No, I dont think she run. No sense of running if she has a risk of failing to win the primary or losing .

Why wouldn't she run? She wanted to prez before and running as sitting VP in particular would put her in a prime position to try again. I have little doubt she runs in 2028 regardless of the 2024 outcome.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2023, 10:54:26 AM »

Why wouldn't she run? She wanted to prez before and running as sitting VP in particular would put her in a prime position to try again. I have little doubt she runs in 2028 regardless of the 2024 outcome.

I think she will do like Biden and decline to run as there would be another favored option for the nominee other than her. People on here talk about her as the most hated poltician so I think she will probably poll lower than other competitors. I think in the future once the shadow primary starts up and her team sees it being to much of struggle to get the nomination I think she bows out of politics while she high.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2023, 01:25:08 PM »

I like her, but hope not. Losing in 2024 would definitely hurt her, so she'd only start out as frontrunner after winning reelection in 2024 with Biden. However, even then I don't expect her having a cakewalk to the nomination like Al Gore in 2000. There will be at least a handful of high-profile candidates testing the waters or trying to get their chance. Whitmer might be one of them and I hope she'll be the nominee. I have much higher faith in her ability to mount a successful general election campaign and govern effectively as president.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2023, 09:52:41 PM »

If Biden wins or if she's the incumbent, she'd be the overwhelming favorite.

She'd be a strong contender as a former VP with an influential fanbase and demographic appeal.

Her biggest threat would be if someone else has a bigger "first" claim. It would be tough for a white woman, but there are others in the wings, especially AOC and the likely next Senator from Delaware Lisa Blunt Rochester; a widow with two children who was CEO of a civil rights organization.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2023, 09:33:35 AM »

I think she will do like Biden and decline to run as there would be another favored option for the nominee other than her. People on here talk about her as the most hated poltician so I think she will probably poll lower than other competitors. I think in the future once the shadow primary starts up and her team sees it being to much of struggle to get the nomination I think she bows out of politics while she high.

I still don't see it, tbh. Biden only declined to run in 2016 because of Beau's passing. Unless such an event happens in 2026 or 2027, Harris absolutely is going to run 4 prez.
SInNYC

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2023, 12:18:47 PM »

Part of it depends on the primary calendar too. Ds seem intent on marching towards having SC first, and that obviously gives Harris a huge step up. If they are successful in having SC first, I suspect the only thing stopping Harris would be if Warnock or somebody like him ran.

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2023, 02:21:09 PM »

Part of it depends on the primary calendar too. Ds seem intent on marching towards having SC first, and that obviously gives Harris a huge step up. If they are successful in having SC first, I suspect the only thing stopping Harris would be if Warnock or somebody like him ran.

Michigan and New Hampshire being first would definitely put Whitmer in a strong position. Even for a decent showing in South Carolina.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2023, 11:28:06 PM »

If she is the sitting President, yes.

Otherwise I give her roughly even odds.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length