LGC 13.9 - The package of protection of the region act - STATUTE
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:25:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  LGC 13.9 - The package of protection of the region act - STATUTE
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: LGC 13.9 - The package of protection of the region act - STATUTE  (Read 1066 times)
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 16, 2023, 03:18:24 PM »
« edited: May 21, 2023, 08:25:59 PM by Lincoln Speaker Dwarven Dragon »

A BILL.

These measures are aimed at restoring the functioning of the region and its protection. Lincoln Territorial Defense is designed solely for defense, it is designed to keep the peace.

The package of protection of the region act

Section I: Financing and equipment of Territorial Defence

1. Four hundred ninety five million dollars ($495 million) to buy eight (8 ) M142 High Mobility Artillery Rocket System (HIMARS) Launchers; thirty-six (36) M30A2 Guided Multiple Launch Rocket System (GMLRS) Alternative Warhead (AW) Missile Pods with Insensitive Munitions Propulsion System (IMPS); thirty-six (36) M31A2 GMLRS Unitary High Explosive (HE) Missile Pods; thirty-six (36) XM403 Extended Range GMLRS (ER GMLRS) Alternative Warhead (AW) Missile Pods with IMPS; thirty-six (36) XM404 Extended Range GMLRS (ER GMLRS) Unitary Pods with IMPS; and eighteen (18) M57 Army Tactical Missile System (ATACMS) Missile Pods. Also included are M28A2 Low Cost Reduced Range Practice Rocket (LCRRPR) pods; International Field Artillery Tactical Data System (IFATDS); battle management system Vehicle Integration Kits; ruggedized laptops; training equipment publications for HIMARS and munitions; and other related elements of program and logistics support.

2. One hundred twenty million dollars ($120 million) to buy Rheinmetall drone defence systems.

3. Establish an special Territorial Defense budget of two billion dollars ($2 billion) to pay for AIP and salaries commensurate with regular troops, to finance training, to purchase weapons, equipment and infrastructure, and to meet the needs of the Territorial Defense in the provision.

Section II: Restoring the functioning of the region

1. Invest $100 billion in building solar farms across Lincoln to cover for unmet demand in energy.

2. The main condition of tenders for the organization of solar farms is the result in the form of small autonomous electric clusters that cannot be harmed by interruptions in the centralized power grid.

Section III: Enactment

1. This act shall go into effect immediately.

Sponsor: Oleg
Court Sponsor: Dwarven Dragon
Occupying: Slot 2 of 10
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2023, 03:28:45 PM »

though unfortunate, this seems to be a necessary step to ensuring we come out of this crisis with as little injury to the region as possible.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2023, 04:13:22 PM »

Didn’t we phase out all our oil and gas when I was last in regional government or am I misremembering?
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2023, 04:28:05 PM »

Didn’t we phase out all our oil and gas when I was last in regional government or am I misremembering?

I don't think anything you did ever passed? Your broadest proposals were kept out of the High Speed Highways Act. The enacted version has a cap and trade provision which implies some emissions can still occur:

6. Cap and Trade
(...)

d. Business shall no longer be allowed to release greenhouse gas emissions without credits that correspond to the amount of emissions that they will release, violation of this provision shall result in a fine equal to 10% of the total value of the business.
e. Businesses shall receive free credits up to 90% of the allowed emissions limit, but they must buy additional credits at auctions held by the Department of Environmental Protection to have credits to account for the additional 10% of emissions
f. One auction shall be held during each quarter of the year, for a total of four auctions per years
(...)
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2023, 04:46:24 PM »

I don't think anything you did ever passed? Your broadest proposals were kept out of the High Speed Highways Act. The enacted version has a cap and trade provision which implies some emissions can still occur:

6. Cap and Trade
(...)

d. Business shall no longer be allowed to release greenhouse gas emissions without credits that correspond to the amount of emissions that they will release, violation of this provision shall result in a fine equal to 10% of the total value of the business.
e. Businesses shall receive free credits up to 90% of the allowed emissions limit, but they must buy additional credits at auctions held by the Department of Environmental Protection to have credits to account for the additional 10% of emissions
f. One auction shall be held during each quarter of the year, for a total of four auctions per years
(...)

No, there was this giant climate change bill passed in the 5th or 6th Council
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2023, 04:59:48 PM »

6. Cap and Trade
(...)

(...)

Then that would have been overwritten by L.C. 6.21, the regional "reset". Its Title 15 only Bans subsidies, not production, until at least 2035: https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=368065.msg7279128#msg7279128
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2023, 05:06:22 PM »

6. Cap and Trade
(...)

(...)

Then that would have been overwritten by L.C. 6.21, the regional "reset". Its Title 15 only Bans subsidies, not production, until at least 2035: https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=368065.msg7279128#msg7279128

Yeah but a lot these industries are artificially propped up by subsidies and I think we also have a pretty harsh carbon tax and a generous EV program so a lot of people would've switched away from fossil fuels already and demand for fossil fuels is likely low, so I think these measures are unnecessary.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2023, 05:14:03 PM »

6. Cap and Trade
(...)

(...)

Yeah but a lot these industries are artificially propped up by subsidies and I think we also have a pretty harsh carbon tax and a generous EV program so a lot of people would've switched away from fossil fuels already and demand for fossil fuels is likely low, so I think these measures are unnecessary.

You are right with respect to the existence of those two policies. However, in the absence of a contradictory statement by the GM Team, it does seem to be canon that we still have some pipelines in use, and having those arbitrarily and suddenly shut off according to a timeline determined by another region seems unwise. I will trust the Governor on this matter.
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2023, 05:15:02 PM »

If one wishes to make that request of the team do so in the thread for that. Though admittedly we’re a bit busy at the moment with everything else.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2023, 05:16:46 PM »

6. Cap and Trade
(...)

(...)

You are right with respect to the existence of those two policies. However, in the absence of a contradictory statement by the GM Team, it does seem to be canon that we still have some pipelines in use, and having those arbitrarily and suddenly shut off according to a timeline determined by another region seems unwise. I will trust the Governor on this matter.

I would rather shift this money towards more green energy development, also higher gas prices are accepted in much of Europe, I don't see why things should be any different here. We keep gas prices artificially suppressed by an artificially low gas tax. If we had say a reasonable 20% gas tax, people would already be used to these prices and we would drive down gas demand even further, driving further switches to renewables, and creating a self reinforcing cycle.

Amendment:

A BILL.

These measures are aimed at restoring the functioning of the region and its protection. Lincoln Territorial Defense is designed solely for defense, it is designed to keep the peace.

1. Four hundred ninety five million dollars ($495 million) to buy eight (8 ) M142 High Mobility Artillery Rocket System (HIMARS) Launchers; thirty-six (36) M30A2 Guided Multiple Launch Rocket System (GMLRS) Alternative Warhead (AW) Missile Pods with Insensitive Munitions Propulsion System (IMPS); thirty-six (36) M31A2 GMLRS Unitary High Explosive (HE) Missile Pods; thirty-six (36) XM403 Extended Range GMLRS (ER GMLRS) Alternative Warhead (AW) Missile Pods with IMPS; thirty-six (36) XM404 Extended Range GMLRS (ER GMLRS) Unitary Pods with IMPS; and eighteen (18) M57 Army Tactical Missile System (ATACMS) Missile Pods. Also included are M28A2 Low Cost Reduced Range Practice Rocket (LCRRPR) pods; International Field Artillery Tactical Data System (IFATDS); battle management system Vehicle Integration Kits; ruggedized laptops; training equipment publications for HIMARS and munitions; and other related elements of program and logistics support.

2. One hundred twenty million dollars ($120 million) to buy Rheinmetall drone defence systems.

3. Establish an special Territorial Defense budget of two billion dollars ($2 billion) to pay for AIP and salaries commensurate with regular troops, to finance training, to purchase weapons, equipment and infrastructure, and to meet the needs of the Territorial Defense in the provision.

1. Send sixty billion dollars ($60 billion) to the region's oil, gas and electricity regional sectors to offset losses from rebuilding infrastructure from the South to Fremont and to offset loses from disconnecting with the South.

2. Allocate an additional ten billion dollars ($10 billion) for emergency purchases of oil and gas from Fremont and Canada.

1. Invest $100 billion in building solar farms across Lincoln to cover for unmet demand in energy.

Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2023, 05:24:35 PM »

I will advise that currently, Lincoln does not directly tax gas at all, though it is possible local jurisdictions have different policies.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2023, 05:35:01 PM »

I will lodge an objection to the amendment, however for now, in recognition of a discussion between S019 and myself, I will not call for a vote on it or on the underlying bill.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2023, 07:11:52 PM »

Lincoln is in the process of its fossil fuel phaseout per the 7.8 Amendment. We do still have some non-renewable energy production, excluding fracking and offshore drilling.
Oleg 🇰🇿🤝🇺🇦
Oleg
Kazakhstan

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2023, 07:12:22 PM »

I would rather shift this money towards more green energy development, also higher gas prices are accepted in much of Europe, I don't see why things should be any different here. We keep gas prices artificially suppressed by an artificially low gas tax. If we had say a reasonable 20% gas tax, people would already be used to these prices and we would drive down gas demand even further, driving further switches to renewables, and creating a self reinforcing cycle.

Amendment:

A BILL.

1. Send sixty billion dollars ($60 billion) to the region's oil, gas and electricity regional sectors to offset losses from rebuilding infrastructure from the South to Fremont and to offset loses from disconnecting with the South.

2. Allocate an additional ten billion dollars ($10 billion) for emergency purchases of oil and gas from Fremont and Canada.

The problem is that even if all military equipment consisted of electric vehicles (but I'm afraid only drones are electric), our infrastructure of power plants still ceases to function normally due to the loss of communication with the South. Therefore, monetary compensation from II.1 is distributed, among other things, to electric companies, which is easy to see from the word electricity.

I object to this amendment.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2023, 08:31:58 PM »

Amendment, after talks with S019:

A BILL.

Preamble: Whereas, the currently contemptible state of affairs has derived from a Discord disagreement between the Honorable Southern Governor Mr. Young Texan and the Honorable Senator Mr. LouisvilleThunder.

Whereas, the region of Lincoln has been treated as a bargaining chip during this dispute with nukes being threatened against it.

Whereas both the federal government and the Southern government rushed to extremes without any regard for the threat this dispute befell upon our noble people.

Thus, the region of Lincoln sees it evident, the need to declare our support of a nonsectarian ideology and as such the desire of those in these hallowed halls to refrain from commenting on the current situation.

As such, we request that neither the South nor the federal government conduct belligerent activities within the confines of Lincoln or directed towards its government or people. In exchange, Lincoln shall comply and refrain from belligerency towards either government.

The region of Lincoln wishes only for its subjects to continue to be guaranteed the same inalienable rights as all Atlasians and rejects these pushes to deny to its people the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

As a contingency plan, we shall arrange for the following, if our entreaties for peace and preservation shall ultimately go unheeded in the end.

Any objection?
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2023, 09:10:18 PM »

Could we please have a comprehensive run-down of these weapons systems, and why it is necessary for Lincoln to operate them as opposed to the federal government? This is all so oddly specific, it feels like it was copy-pasted from some news report.

Is this proposed expenditure on top of the existing $2.6B Defense budget?

What does this mean, to "offset losses" by giving funds to "regional sectors"? Is this meant to build new energy infrastructure?
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2023, 09:18:36 PM »

Amendment, after talks with S019:

A BILL.

Preamble: Whereas, the currently contemptible state of affairs has derived from a Discord disagreement between the Honorable Southern Governor Mr. Young Texan and the Honorable Senator Mr. LouisvilleThunder.

Whereas, the region of Lincoln has been treated as a bargaining chip during this dispute with nukes being threatened against it.

Whereas both the federal government and the Southern government rushed to extremes without any regard for the threat this dispute befell upon our noble people.

Thus, the region of Lincoln sees it evident, the need to declare our support of a nonsectarian ideology and as such the desire of those in these hallowed halls to refrain from commenting on the current situation.

As such, we request that neither the South nor the federal government conduct belligerent activities within the confines of Lincoln or directed towards its government or people. In exchange, Lincoln shall comply and refrain from belligerency towards either government.

The region of Lincoln wishes only for its subjects to continue to be guaranteed the same inalienable rights as all Atlasians and rejects these pushes to deny to its people the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

As a contingency plan, we shall arrange for the following, if our entreaties for peace and preservation shall ultimately go unheeded in the end.

Any objection?

Yes, I object. First, in no universe should we adorn a tyrannical despot with the courtesy title of "Honorable." We have been deliberately threatened with annihilation. This is certainly not the time for neutrality or nonsectarian ideology. We must provide our staunch support to the Republic of Atlasia and strongly reaffirm our commitment to the Union.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2023, 09:24:21 PM »

The following amendments are at vote:

Dwarven Amendment:

(...)

(...)

S019 Amendment:

(...)

(...)

Ballot:

Dwarven Amendment:

[ ] Aye
[ ] Nay
[ ] Abstain

S019 Amendment:

[ ] Aye
[ ] Nay
[ ] Abstain

Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2023, 09:24:38 PM »

Ballot:

Dwarven Amendment:

[X ] Aye
[ ] Nay
[ ] Abstain

S019 Amendment:

[ ] Aye
[ ] Nay
[ X] Abstain
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2023, 09:25:31 PM »

Ballot:

Dwarven Amendment:

[ ] Aye
[X] Nay
[ ] Abstain

S019 Amendment:

[X] Aye
[ ] Nay
[ ] Abstain
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2023, 09:31:52 PM »

Dwarven: Nay
S019: Aye
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2023, 09:37:31 PM »

Dwarven:

Nay

S019

Abstain
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2023, 12:11:21 AM »

Aye on both
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2023, 12:24:44 AM »

Dwarven fails 2-3
S019 Adopted 3-0-2
Oleg 🇰🇿🤝🇺🇦
Oleg
Kazakhstan

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2023, 09:34:03 AM »

Could we please have a comprehensive run-down of these weapons systems, and why it is necessary for Lincoln to operate them as opposed to the federal government?
Since our National Guard was disbanded, I decided to consider in detail the purchase of this battery as the first measure to restore our defenses. With the help of such a battery, we can defend ourselves against enemy commandos.

Is this proposed expenditure on top of the existing $2.6B Defense budget?
These expenses are in addition to those 2.6 billion dollars. If that $2.6 billion has not yet been allocated and spent, I suggest that Senator Sirius and Senator Luckigigaru, as assistants to the commander-in-chief, distribute it to our defense as they see fit.

What does this mean, to "offset losses" by giving funds to "regional sectors"? Is this meant to build new energy infrastructure?
Because the South is isolating itself from Lincoln, and the First Minister of Fremont has graciously given us the opportunity to connect to Fremont in return, we need to cover the costs of the relevant sectors and force this reconnection.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies