LGC 13.6 - Animal Welfare in food act - STATUTE
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:08:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  LGC 13.6 - Animal Welfare in food act - STATUTE
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: LGC 13.6 - Animal Welfare in food act - STATUTE  (Read 614 times)
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 14, 2023, 10:21:32 PM »
« edited: May 21, 2023, 08:26:57 PM by Lincoln Speaker Dwarven Dragon »

Animal Welfare in food act

1. The commercial trade and sale, possession of, and consumption of shark fins and Foie Gras, as well as products containing either shark fins or foie gras, shall be prohibited in Lincoln.

Violations of this shall be punished by three years in prison for sale, plus a fine of $1,000,000 for each item sold.

2. Eating live animals other than insects and oysters in Lincoln shall be considered cruelty to animals and shall be punished under relevant state laws.

3. Slaughter of any animal, not done for religious purposes, must be done in a way to not cause pain to the animal. The animal must be unconscious when slaughtered and must have lost consciousness in a humane and relatively painless way.

4. The government shall send inspectors to food preparation facilities every 2 weeks to ensure the provisions of this law are being followed. Any violations shall be noted by these inspectors who will then advise regional prosecutors to bring the appropriate penalties.

5. The government of Lincoln, recognizing both the suffering of animals as well as the environmental impacts of meat, shall invest $500 million into developing lab meat to encourage the phase out of the production of non-lab meat.

This bill shall go into effect on January 1, 2024.

Sponsor: NYE
Occupying: Slot 1 of 10
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2023, 10:59:08 PM »

I'm bringing this bill to the floor, because the processes of shark finning, which involves catching a shark, cutting off the fin, and then throwing back the carcass into the ocean, and the process of making foie gras, which involves fattening the liver of a bird, commonly a duck by forced overfeeding.

These practices are considered cruel and inhumane, and we would be following in the lead of India in banning Foie Gras, and many countries across the world who prohibit participation in the Shark Fin Trade.
Oleg 🇰🇿🤝🇺🇦
Oleg
Kazakhstan

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2023, 11:53:03 PM »

I propose the following amendment:

1. The sale, possession of, and consumption of shark fins and Foie Gras shall be prohibited in Lincoln.

Violations of this act shall be punished by one year in prison for consumption, one year in prison for possession, and three years in prison for sale, plus a fine of $1,000,000 for each item sold.

2. Eating live animals other than insects and oysters in Lincoln shall be considered cruelty to animals and shall be punished under relevant state laws.

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2023, 11:54:52 PM »

I propose the following amendment:

1. The sale, possession of, and consumption of shark fins and Foie Gras shall be prohibited in Lincoln.

Violations of this act shall be punished by one year in prison for consumption, one year in prison for possession, and three years in prison for sale, plus a fine of $1,000,000 for each item sold.

I'll be happy to formally back that proposal.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2023, 12:36:55 AM »

Another amendment:

3. Slaughter of any animal must be done in a way to not cause pain to the animal. The animal must be unconscious when slaughtered and must have lost consciousness in a humane and relatively painless way.

4. The government shall send inspectors to food preparation facilities every 2 weeks to ensure the provisions of this law are being followed. Any violations shall be noted by these inspectors who will then advise regional prosecutors to bring the appropriate penalties.

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2023, 12:57:18 AM »

I have to object to your amendment S019, as that's a clear attack on my Jewish faith, and the laws of kashruth, as well as the Islamic faith's Halal.

If we pass your legislation, we might as well mandate vegetarianism (not that I would be opposed to such a thing, but it probably would be unconstitutional).
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2023, 01:00:59 AM »

If we pass your legislation, we might as well mandate vegetarianism (not that I would be opposed to such a thing, but it probably would be unconstitutional).

Well, mandating vegetarianism would probably be unconstitutional, but banning slaughter wouldn't be. There could be some middle ground to just fund a ton of lab meat and phase it out gradually.
Oleg 🇰🇿🤝🇺🇦
Oleg
Kazakhstan

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2023, 03:42:08 AM »

Perhaps we could make an exception for slaughter related to religious rituals.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2023, 07:28:29 AM »

Any objection to the Oleg/NYE amendment?

I have to object to your amendment S019, as that's a clear attack on my Jewish faith, and the laws of kashruth, as well as the Islamic faith's Halal.

Noted
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2023, 09:46:29 PM »

The original version of this bill as proposed by Deputy NYE, that of banning two acts of animal cruelty associated with "delicacy" food items, is sensible. Although, I do not believe we should be criminalizing possession or consumption. We should address this issue by targeting those who profit from it. I therefore propose the following amendment:

Animal Welfare in Food Act

1. The commercial trade and sale, possession of, and consumption of shark fins and Foie Gras, as well as products containing either shark fins or foie gras, shall be prohibited in Lincoln.

2. Violations of this act shall be punished by one year in prison for consumption, one year in prison for possession, and three years in prison for sale, plus a fine of $1,000,000 for each item sold.

3. This bill shall go into effect on January 1, 2024.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2023, 09:50:55 PM »

Yes, I will cast an objection to that amendment.

Apart from insects and shellfish, the only other live animal that is regularly consumed (as far as I am aware) is octopus. I think it would make more sense to address octopus farms rather than going after the consumer.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2023, 10:23:30 PM »

I am withdrawing my own amendment and proposing this instead:

Another amendment:

3. Slaughter of any animal, not done for religious purposes, must be done in a way to not cause pain to the animal. The animal must be unconscious when slaughtered and must have lost consciousness in a humane and relatively painless way.

5. The government of Lincoln, recognizing both the suffering of animals as well as the environmental impacts of meat, shall invest $500 million into developing lab meat and shall phase out the production of meat over a period of 15 years.

I object to the changes made by Pyro, the 5 year penalty should be shifted entirely to sale instead.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2023, 10:47:33 PM »

I will Object to the new S019 Amendment. I will also note that a portion of the S019 amendment is duplicative of the NYE amendment. That portion is ruled frivolous.

We will now start votes on each of the amendments. This will be done simultaneously as they do not conflict with each other. They are as follows.

NYE Amendment:

S019 Amendment:

(...)

5. The government of Lincoln, recognizing both the suffering of animals as well as the environmental impacts of meat, shall invest $500 million into developing lab meat and shall phase out the production of meat over a period of 15 years.

(...)

Pyro Amendment:

Animal Welfare in Food Act

(...)

Ballot

NYE Amendment:

[ ] Aye
[ ] Nay
[ ] Abstain

S019 Amendment:

[ ] Aye
[ ] Nay
[ ] Abstain

Pyro Amendment:

[ ] Aye
[ ] Nay
[ ] Abstain

Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2023, 10:49:07 PM »

Ballot

NYE Amendment:

[X ] Aye
[ ] Nay
[ ] Abstain

S019 Amendment:

[ X] Aye
[ ] Nay
[ ] Abstain

Pyro Amendment:

[ ] Aye
[X ] Nay
[ ] Abstain
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2023, 10:50:12 PM »

NYE Amendment:

AYE

S019 Amendment:

Abstain

Pyro Amendment:

AYE
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2023, 10:50:46 PM »

AYE on all three
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2023, 03:27:03 PM »

NYE Amendment:

AYE

S019 Amendment:

Abstain

Pyro Amendment:

AYE
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2023, 07:14:09 PM »

NYE Amendment:

[ ] Aye
[ ] Nay
[X] Abstain

S019 Amendment:

[ ] Aye
[ ] Nay
[X] Abstain

Pyro Amendment:

[X] Aye
[ ] Nay
[ ] Abstain
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2023, 07:50:32 PM »

NYE Adopted 4-0-1
S019 Adopted 2-0-3
Pyro Adopted 4-1
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2023, 11:02:00 AM »

Motion for a final vote
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2023, 02:02:36 PM »

There is a well-meaning bill here, but I'm afraid I will need to vote against this.
I'm not onboard with a phase-out of meat production nor the potential constitutionality issues.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2023, 09:22:11 PM »

(...)

5. The government of Lincoln, recognizing both the suffering of animals as well as the environmental impacts of meat, shall invest $500 million into developing lab meat and shall to encourage the phase out the production of non-lab meat over a period of 15 years.

(...)
amendment to change wording to just say we're encouraging the phase out but we obviously can't force it
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2023, 09:53:13 PM »

Withdrawing the final vote motion

Any objection to the amendment?