Will a vote to expel George Santos succeed or fail?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:44:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Will a vote to expel George Santos succeed or fail?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Would a vote to expel George Santos succeed or fail?
Succeed

Fail

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 68

Author Topic: Will a vote to expel George Santos succeed or fail?  (Read 1770 times)
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 10, 2023, 11:26:37 AM »

Would a vote to expel George Santos succeed or fail?
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2023, 12:25:02 PM »

The vote will succeed if it comes to the floor, but I'm skeptical that it will come to the floor unless/until Santos is actually convicted.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2023, 12:38:28 PM »

Until Santos becomes a liability to McCarthy’s floor votes, he stays
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2023, 12:51:26 PM »

Does anyone have a current count on the number of Republicans supporting expulsion?
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2023, 12:54:49 PM »

The vote will succeed if it comes to the floor, but I'm skeptical that it will come to the floor unless/until Santos is actually convicted.

Until Santos becomes a liability to McCarthy’s floor votes, he stays

Exactly these
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2023, 01:00:27 PM »

I will also add that congress members aren’t expelled unless they’re convicted, not charged. Usually they resign before that. There’s only been two expulsions for this reason. The last member expelled after being convicted was Jim Traficant in 2002, and before him was Michael Myers in 1980.
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2023, 01:05:43 PM »

Unless he is convicted a vote will never happen, that being said a hypothetical vote would more than likely succeed, he has every single Democrat against him plus a majority of the GOP against him, which likely includes McCarthy (even though he won’t publicly admit it). I give him a month and a half until he’s either flipping burgers at Wendy’s, or serving Chili to his jail mates.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2023, 01:30:56 PM »

Does anyone have a current count on the number of Republicans supporting expulsion?

To my knowledge: Molinaro, LaLota, D'Esposito, Gonzales.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2023, 01:31:33 PM »

Unless he is convicted a vote will never happen, that being said a hypothetical vote would more than likely succeed, he has every single Democrat against him plus a majority of the GOP against him, which likely includes McCarthy (even though he won’t publicly admit it). I give him a month and a half until he’s either flipping burgers at Wendy’s, or serving Chili to his jail mates.

I doubt he’s going to be convinced in less than a month.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2023, 03:02:10 PM »

I predict a large majority will vote to expel, probably not unanimous. (But my predictions are very frequently wrong.)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2023, 04:25:54 PM »

McCarthy would refuse to allow it to come up for a vote until after he is convicted.   Assuming he is convicted prior to his term ending it would succeed.  If McCarthy allowed it to come to a vote now, there would likely be enough Republicans voting to expel, but McCarthy will not allow it to come up for a vote.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2023, 04:47:50 PM »

McCarthy would refuse to allow it to come up for a vote until after he is convicted.   Assuming he is convicted prior to his term ending it would succeed.  If McCarthy allowed it to come to a vote now, there would likely be enough Republicans voting to expel, but McCarthy will not allow it to come up for a vote.

TwinGeeks99
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2023, 10:29:42 PM »

It would succeed, but the real question is if McCarthy would even allow such a vote to come to the floor.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2023, 12:32:49 AM »

The Ds aren't the majority they are gonna wait til Nov 24 it's not far away
Ron DeSantis enthusiast
FranciscoM97

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2023, 01:48:13 PM »

If it gets to the floor is because they have the votes to do it
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2023, 06:28:11 AM »

Why should Santos be expelled?  He's not been convicted of a crime.

Did anyone here ever call for the expulsion of Sen. Robert Menendez (D-NJ)?  Of Rep. Harold Fort, St. (D-TN)?  These are two (2) I can think of that were under indictment for literally years (which Santos may well end up being, only to be ultimately acquitted).  If Menendez should not have resigned while under indictment, there is no reason for Santos to, as long as he is not convicted.

Yes, this position of mine is realpolitik, but it is consistent with positions Democrats here routinely take.  The voters will be able to rid themselves of Santos soon enough, and he's in no danger to elevate himself to the Presidency.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2023, 06:55:54 AM »

It won't matter he is GONE LIKE TRUMP IS IN 24
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2023, 04:00:12 PM »

Did anyone here ever call for the expulsion of Sen. Robert Menendez (D-NJ)?  Of Rep. Harold Fort, St. (D-TN)?  These are two (2) I can think of that were under indictment for literally years (which Santos may well end up being, only to be ultimately acquitted).  If Menendez should not have resigned while under indictment, there is no reason for Santos to, as long as he is not convicted.

Yes, this position of mine is realpolitik, but it is consistent with positions Democrats here routinely take.  The voters will be able to rid themselves of Santos soon enough, and he's in no danger to elevate himself to the Presidency.

For once, I agree with you on something.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2023, 08:58:11 PM »

For lying? And before you say "all politicans lie" come on, make an exception for Santos...
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2023, 12:44:59 PM »

Now that Chris Stewart is going to be gone, McCarthy's margin is just going to be four votes.   They probably don't like Santos, but don't want to narrow their majority anymore either.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2023, 04:38:50 PM »

For lying? And before you say "all politicans lie" come on, make an exception for Santos...
If politicians got expelled for lying, we would have no politicians.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2023, 07:11:27 PM »

Now that Chris Stewart is going to be gone, McCarthy's margin is just going to be four votes.   They probably don't like Santos, but don't want to narrow their majority anymore either.

David Cicilline's resignation cancels it out, plus Stewart isn't even resigning until September - so the GOP actually has a 6-seat majority at the moment.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2023, 09:18:53 AM »

As a progressive, I would absolutely love for Rob Menendez to get voted out of the Senate.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2023, 08:52:05 PM »

As a progressive, I would absolutely love for Rob Menendez to get voted out of the Senate.

If Menendez tries to run again in 2030, I plan on primarying him (since I'll be finally old enough).
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2023, 09:59:34 PM »

If politicians got expelled for lying, we would have no politicians.
But Santos is on a whole other level. Its cartoonish. I find it very silly and naive to compare the typical politican to Santos.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies