Jury finds that Donald Trump sexually abused E. Jean Carroll in civil case
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:29:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Jury finds that Donald Trump sexually abused E. Jean Carroll in civil case
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]
Author Topic: Jury finds that Donald Trump sexually abused E. Jean Carroll in civil case  (Read 6248 times)
emailking
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: January 26, 2024, 09:02:45 PM »

Remember when I called this a nothing burger, and everyone got furious about it?

Yes, you were wrong then and you are wrong now.

$83,300,000 is quite a lot of money for a nothingburger!

Doesn’t matter in the long run.

It's actually going to matter a lot if there's a 300+ million judgement, like James is asking for, in the NY civil trial because he doesn't have enough cash on hand to cover the bonds for both this and a judgment that large, so he will have to start liquidating properties. Does it matter 100 years from now? Well no, probably not then if that is long run lol.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #226 on: January 26, 2024, 09:09:12 PM »

Trump lawyer Alina Habba also was not feeling well.

Won't she face any consequences for lying to the judge to delay the trial?

This is abominable. If I or any attorney I know pulled something like this they'd be racked up for contempt so damn fast
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #227 on: January 26, 2024, 09:11:30 PM »

Remember when I called this a nothing burger, and everyone got furious about it?

Yes, you were wrong then and you are wrong now.

$83,300,000 is quite a lot of money for a nothingburger!

Doesn’t matter in the long run.

It's actually going to matter a lot if there's a 300+ million judgement, like James is asking for, in the NY civil trial because he doesn't have enough cash on hand to cover the bonds for both this and a judgment that large, so he will have to start liquidating properties. Does it matter 100 years from now? Well no, probably not then if that is long run lol.

Makes no difference in the 2024 election is what I meant.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #228 on: January 26, 2024, 09:13:15 PM »
« Edited: January 26, 2024, 09:23:07 PM by Badger »

Tell me, how many minds has this case changed?

A woman was raped but I guess you are ok with that.

That’s not what I meant, and you know that.

Considering your long posting history of supporting or defending the most reprehensible disgusting Concepts imaginable, no, we do not know that.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #229 on: January 26, 2024, 09:17:02 PM »

I will hope and pray this could help us get Haley . So I give a thumbs up to the verdict

Please. A jury finds Trump simply liable for sexually assaulting Gene Carroll and the GOP rallies around him overwhelmingly. You really think a jury award finding he liable her for calling her a liar about it is going to move a single one of the Neanderthals who support Trump?
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #230 on: January 26, 2024, 09:21:10 PM »

Death is inevitable; salvation is not.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #231 on: January 26, 2024, 09:30:33 PM »

This won’t affect Trump in the slightest…the Saudis will pay way more than $83 million for the nuclear docs Trump still has at Mar-a-Lago.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #232 on: January 26, 2024, 10:47:09 PM »

This won’t affect Trump in the slightest…the Saudis will pay way more than $83 million for the nuclear docs Trump still has at Mar-a-Lago.

When, though? Trump can do a lot to keep his lifestyle going, and to delay consequences for his business chicanery, but campaigns and court judgements require cash. And while Trump will burn American to the ground to save himself, he equally willing burn the GOP to the ground. And they're in his hands right now, unlike the United States.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #233 on: January 27, 2024, 03:50:35 AM »

Spotted at Trump International Hotel:
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #234 on: January 27, 2024, 04:08:36 AM »

https://twitter.com/BrianManookian/status/1751024486495699067

Let me ruin the suspense for everyone. Trump doesn't have an appeal.

I know the talking heads on TV (who have never tried a case or appealed a jury verdict) have to mention it. Here's why it isn't going to fly.

To have a meritorious appeal, you have to preserve a reversible error at the trial level.  This is why you hire competent counsel. You need someone who actually knows the rules of evidence and procedure.

Alina Habba had no clue what was occurring throughout the trial. She not only failed to preserve any remote grounds for appeal, like a moron, she repeatedly and unintentionally waived them over and over.

For example, she kept saying "no objection" as exhibits were entered into evidence.

It appeared to me that she was saying that because she that's something she had heard real lawyers say before.

Unfortunately for Mr. Trump, what she was doing over and over was waiving his ability to appeal over those evidentiary issues. Because she is a moron who would rather *play* lawyer than do the research to *be* a lawyer.

There's no appeal here. And because people have asked me in the past, no, there is no such thing as an incompetent counsel defense in civil cases. That's for criminal matters.

Take this verdict to the bank.

https://twitter.com/BrianManookian/status/1751082963612131496

To even have the privilege of filing an appeal, Trump would have to post a bond in excess of the full amount of the verdict.

Why? Trump isn't the first deadbeat defendant. Our legal system is used to these guys. If you want to appeal, you have to put up the money in cash.

If he actually does that (he won't) all it means is that when his appeal is summarily rejected, E. Jean gets her cash straight out of the court's escrow account instead of having to chase Trump for it.

It's another reason Trump is going to make a lot of noise about appealing, but not do anything substantive.

His only real play here is to go to E. Jean's lawyers and try to negotiate a reduced settlement.  That is what happens in 99 percent of these situations.  Plaintiff takes 75 cents on the dollar to avoid the expense and delay of trying to collect.  Defendant gets a 25 percent discount.

I doubt E. Jean accepts that here, including because post-judgment interest is running at 10 percent.  That's $22,739 a day on $83M.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #235 on: January 27, 2024, 07:16:28 AM »

I will hope and pray this could help us get Haley . So I give a thumbs up to the verdict

Please. A jury finds Trump simply liable for sexually assaulting Gene Carroll and the GOP rallies around him overwhelmingly. You really think a jury award finding he liable her for calling her a liar about it is going to move a single one of the Neanderthals who support Trump?

Yep.

They support him knowing he betrayed his oath and betrayed the country. After he attacked the country and tried to dismantle the government.

This is all small potatoes compared to that. They wouldn’t turn their backs on him even if he directly performed an abortion on live tv. Instead they’d reason why he had to do it.

It’s a blind religious devotion with these people.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #236 on: January 27, 2024, 10:57:13 AM »

That’s not what “nothingburger” means. Nothingburger means that the claims are either untrue or exaggerated.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #237 on: January 27, 2024, 12:25:19 PM »

While I don't think this gets us Haley I can agree with the sentiment that I hope it does.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #238 on: January 27, 2024, 02:31:52 PM »

That’s not what “nothingburger” means. Nothingburger means that the claims are either untrue or exaggerated.

If not “nothingburger”, then what word is the used for “this is of zero significance in terms of impact”?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #239 on: January 27, 2024, 02:44:56 PM »

It's maybe a nothingburger for the election, but it's not for Trump.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #240 on: January 27, 2024, 06:45:22 PM »

If not “nothingburger”, then what word is the used for “this is of zero significance in terms of impact”?

…Just say that.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #241 on: January 29, 2024, 12:03:41 AM »

Donald has appealed... on his failing social media network:

Trump targets New York judge, AG as civil fraud case verdict looms
“It is a great company that has been slandered and maligned by this politically motivated Witch Hunt. It is very unfair, and I call for help from the highest Courts in New York State, or the Federal System, to intercede. THIS IS NOT AMERICA,” he continued.

(Presumably he does not want to appeal himself, as he 1) would have to put the full judgement in escrow, and 2) doesn't have any grounds for appeal.)

This also seems like an appropriate time to remind everyone that, according to Mr. Trump (and of course, all the Republicans who continue to support him) the correct response to an intervention in his favor by one of his appointed judges would be, "the Second Amendment".
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #242 on: January 29, 2024, 06:49:58 PM »

So there is a question here. Will the publicity from Gene Carroll's attorneys garnishing and placing liens on Trump's property create such a bad impression that it's worth posting the bond to appeal this decision and get it out of the headlines until quite possibly after the election? Or Will trump just follow his near half century long practice of trying to stiff people money and force them to try to go to court to collect it? Different situation here where they actually have a judgment against him instead contractors, lenders, Etc being faced with having to face mountains of litigation from his lawyers and accept dimes on the dollar.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #243 on: February 26, 2024, 01:28:58 PM »

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #244 on: March 08, 2024, 11:22:37 AM »

Trump posts nearly $92 million bond in E. Jean Carroll defamation case

Former President Donald Trump has posted a $91.63 million bond as he appeals the judgment against him in the E. Jean Carroll defamation case.

The notice of Trump’s bond and appeal was made with the federal court in New York on Friday.

In January, a federal jury awarded Carroll $83.3 million in damages as a result of Trump’s defamatory statements denying he raped her, saying she wasn’t his type, and accusing her of making up the allegation to boost sales of her book.

Insurance company Chubb underwrote the bond for Trump, which the former president signed on Tuesday. Under the terms of the bond, Chubb will only secure the appeal of the $83.3 million judgment, not any future appeals.

The bond size is greater than the judgment because the district court generally requires a party to post 110% of the bond.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/08/politics/trump-carroll-83-million-defamation-bond-appeal/index.html
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #245 on: March 08, 2024, 06:19:20 PM »

Trump posts nearly $92 million bond in E. Jean Carroll defamation case

Former President Donald Trump has posted a $91.63 million bond as he appeals the judgment against him in the E. Jean Carroll defamation case.

The notice of Trump’s bond and appeal was made with the federal court in New York on Friday.

In January, a federal jury awarded Carroll $83.3 million in damages as a result of Trump’s defamatory statements denying he raped her, saying she wasn’t his type, and accusing her of making up the allegation to boost sales of her book.

Insurance company Chubb underwrote the bond for Trump, which the former president signed on Tuesday. Under the terms of the bond, Chubb will only secure the appeal of the $83.3 million judgment, not any future appeals.

The bond size is greater than the judgment because the district court generally requires a party to post 110% of the bond.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/08/politics/trump-carroll-83-million-defamation-bond-appeal/index.html

Politically wise. Most soft Trump supporters are resigned to/excuse his crooked business dealings, but seeing judgment executed for a sexual assault is a bazooka even for them.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #246 on: March 10, 2024, 09:05:52 PM »

Will this guy ever learn to keep his mouth shut?

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies