Singapore executed a man convicted of conspiring to traffic about two pounds of cannabis
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:39:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Singapore executed a man convicted of conspiring to traffic about two pounds of cannabis
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Singapore executed a man convicted of conspiring to traffic about two pounds of cannabis  (Read 2357 times)
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2023, 04:16:44 PM »

Some of you really need a blunt, or an edible.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2023, 04:19:56 PM »

Dang, all this time I thought it was possible to adequately fund public transportation and sanitation services without also imposing death sentences for victimless crimes. Guess I was wrong.

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2023, 04:55:35 PM »

It's not our place to harshly judge Singapore on how broadly they apply the death penalty.

Comments like this boggle my mind. We're literally on a political discussion forum. If you're not interested in discussing politics, what are you doing here?
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2023, 04:56:51 PM »

It's not our place to harshly judge Singapore on how broadly they apply the death penalty.

Comments like this boggle my mind. We're literally on a political discussion forum. If you're not interested in discussing politics, what are you doing here?

Fellas, is it Orientalist to judge a nation for putting a man to death for a minor crime that would be legal in lots of places?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2023, 05:06:48 PM »
« Edited: April 27, 2023, 05:35:49 PM by Atlasian AG Punxsutawney Phil »

I consider myself a pluralist in how places can be run. Diversity is part of human life and things are not going to be the same globally - we really do not all think the same and governmental forms and policies can reflect that.

It's not that I'm not interested in discussing politics. It's that I'm interested in giving Singapore a ton of leeway in the specifics of how their government operates, to respect that human diversity. At the same time, this place would be boring if we had precisely zero people coming in with blazing takes. So I'm very glad we don't have too many people sharing this view of mine.
P.S. My literally more than four thousand posts in the Individual Politics board and long effort-posts on USGD and elsewhere belie the claim I'm not willing to discuss politics and make my preferences clear.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2023, 10:22:20 PM »

thats insane, singapore needs more liberty and freedom

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2023, 11:01:04 PM »

DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2023, 11:02:26 PM »

Presumably it's because the OP wants this to happen in America. As for why the mods haven't moved it, I have no idea.
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2023, 11:04:58 PM »

Presumably it's because the OP wants this to happen in America. As for why the mods haven't moved it, I have no idea.

I've PMed both USGD mods about that, guessing they haven't seen the messages yet.

My guess is OP saw the NY Times headline and assumed the perpetrator was a US national?
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2023, 11:40:07 PM »

I don't support the death penalty nor do I think that serious punishment beyond that associated with the norm smuggling of unlicensed goods should be applied to marijuana. But I do think critics of Singapore's draconian stance on drug smuggling do leave unanswered questions about the alternatives.

Because even compared to the so-called success stories, Singapore has been incredibly successful in stopping drug addiction and it's associated problems.

More cities exist than Singapore and Detroit
SInNYC

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2023, 01:19:47 PM »

I hope people realize that any complaints Americans make about Singapore could also be made by most Europeans against the US.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2023, 01:25:24 PM »

I hope people realize that any complaints Americans make about Singapore could also be made by most Europeans against the US.
What this guy did is not punishable by death anywhere in the US and outright legal in much of it. And I think most of the Americans attacking Singapore for this also oppose the death penalty in the US as well, so they wouldn't disagree with such criticisms.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2023, 02:24:42 PM »

Do you what I care about? Having money. And Singapore’s a better place to achieve that than the USA.

...until the Party views your money as a threat to their power, and then imposes a 100% wealth tax on you.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2023, 03:46:12 PM »

Yes it is. Bad things are bad.
SInNYC

« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2023, 03:11:25 PM »

What this guy did is not punishable by death anywhere in the US and outright legal in much of it. And I think most of the Americans attacking Singapore for this also oppose the death penalty in the US as well, so they wouldn't disagree with such criticisms.

Thats missing the point. The point is not whether this particular offense is worth the death penalty. The point is that you cant criticize another country with what you view as draconian laws without also accepting other country criticisms of what they view as draconian in your own country.

To make it clear I have no problems with somebody who is against the death penalty (I am myself). I am talking about those who criticize a country with tough laws and then tell those who criticize their own country to mind their own business. And yes, there are many of these. Also, its not just about the death penalty but general draconian laws and prison conditions.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2023, 03:16:26 PM »

Pure evil.

I don't care how clean your city is on the surface, it's rotten to the core if you murder people for anything, let alone for transporting drugs that don't even really harm anybody.

The fact that this is even up for debate here, let alone that some here have endorsed this murder, is sickening. The same kinds of people who no doubt would have at least approvingly observed lynchings back in the day, if not actively participated, I have no doubt.

Talking to you, R-MS. The hypocrisy of the fact that you would have been a victim of this kind of brutality yourself at one point for your sexual orientation, and still could be in some places (and certainly Singapore to this day is no friend to your kind), knows no bounds. Knowing this and STILL having absolutely no empathy for anyone else is something beyond my own capacity for empathy.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2023, 03:36:50 PM »

Thats missing the point. The point is not whether this particular offense is worth the death penalty. The point is that you cant criticize another country with what you view as draconian laws without also accepting other country criticisms of what they view as draconian in your own country.

To make it clear I have no problems with somebody who is against the death penalty (I am myself). I am talking about those who criticize a country with tough laws and then tell those who criticize their own country to mind their own business. And yes, there are many of these. Also, its not just about the death penalty but general draconian laws and prison conditions.

And what would singaporeans criticize Americans for being relatively Draconian over? Serious question.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2023, 05:30:59 PM »

It very much so is. It's just not our place to send troops in to change them.

If it were one of our citizens in this situation, I wouldn't oppose a military operation.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2023, 05:34:09 PM »

Modernist architecture is so grotesque. Please put a warning in the thread title before posting such pictures.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2023, 05:36:16 PM »

You've previously indicated you enjoy a good drink or three. Give up alcohol and then we'll talk you hypocrite
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2023, 05:38:35 PM »

I see it's Singaporeposting time.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2023, 05:54:57 PM »

It's not that I'm not interested in discussing politics. It's that I'm interested in giving Singapore a ton of leeway in the specifics of how their government operates

How is it "not our place" to state an opinion, and that we should give 'leeway' to human rights violations, but it is your place to state an opinion on what others can and can't say? Are you somehow anointed as the sole arbiter of whose opinion can and cannot be expressed?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2023, 06:04:55 PM »
« Edited: April 29, 2023, 06:19:00 PM by Atlasian AG Punxsutawney Phil »

It's not that I'm not interested in discussing politics. It's that I'm interested in giving Singapore a ton of leeway in the specifics of how their government operates

How is it "not our place" to state an opinion, and that we should give 'leeway' to human rights violations, but it is your place to state an opinion on what others can and can't say? Are you somehow anointed as the sole arbiter of whose opinion can and cannot be expressed?
I never sought to gate-keep what can and cannot be allowed to be said, and it's clear you never sought to understand the qualifying language I put in the first post.

The second post you quoted is a distinct kettle of fish, driven more by where I feel norms should end up more than anything else. I am against the idea of one theory explaining everything and believe in some measure of diversity of thought and opinion globally. American hegemony of some kind is important for global stability, but this must be packaged with some kind of understanding that local political cultures have room to deviate from ours in fundamental respects. Humans are NOT all the same. And that's entirely fine!
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2023, 06:11:11 PM »

You've previously indicated you enjoy a good drink or three. Give up alcohol and then we'll talk you hypocrite

lmao
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2023, 06:32:46 PM »

And what would singaporeans criticize Americans for being relatively Draconian over? Serious question.

It's very common for the average middle-class person from that part of the world to be horrified at the constant mass shootings, and the militarization of police. Of course, tough security exists in East Asia, but it's mostly kept out of sight and out of mind. Having police armed in public places as if they were occupying soldiers is horrifying.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies