Singapore executed a man convicted of conspiring to traffic about two pounds of cannabis
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:43:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Singapore executed a man convicted of conspiring to traffic about two pounds of cannabis
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Singapore executed a man convicted of conspiring to traffic about two pounds of cannabis  (Read 2358 times)
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: 1.22

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 27, 2023, 04:22:08 AM »

Singapore vs NYC/SF:
overwhelmingly safer, cleaner, better infrastructure, more beautiful and advanced. Their tough on crime policy pays well.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2023, 04:29:23 AM »

I mean, if they would just legalize it there would be need for the death penalty, yes?
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: 1.22

P P
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2023, 05:30:48 AM »

I mean, if they would just legalize it there would be need for the death penalty, yes?
Well, you can legalize murder or simply abolish the concept of crime so there will be no penalty at all.

Thirty-three offences—including murder, drug trafficking, terrorism, use of firearms and kidnapping—warrant the death penalty under Singapore law.

A large majority of the public remains supportive of the use of the death penalty, with more than 80% of Singaporeans believing that their country should retain the death penalty in 2021.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2023, 05:36:06 AM »

Is Singapore now the 51st state or something?  This should be moved to International General Discussion.

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2023, 05:42:30 AM »

Well, you can legalize murder or simply abolish the concept of crime so there will be no penalty at all.

If you truly believe that trafficking cannabis is a crime of equal standing with murder than maybe you should try to seek some help.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2023, 05:47:38 AM »

It's not our place to harshly judge Singapore on how broadly they apply the death penalty.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2023, 08:04:10 AM »

You can move there, then.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2023, 09:04:11 AM »

It's not our place to harshly judge Singapore on how broadly they apply the death penalty.

Lol, of course it is. Singapore is an uncivilized dystopia and I have every right to call them out on it.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2023, 09:19:17 AM »

Based.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2023, 10:06:00 AM »

I don't support the death penalty nor do I think that serious punishment beyond that associated with the norm smuggling of unlicensed goods should be applied to marijuana. But I do think critics of Singapore's draconian stance on drug smuggling do leave unanswered questions about the alternatives.

Because even compared to the so-called success stories, Singapore has been incredibly successful in stopping drug addiction and it's associated problems.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2023, 10:06:45 AM »

Please don't, rent is high enough as it is
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2023, 10:27:56 AM »

From the original point: you can't just isolate one thing and say this is 'why' like the death penalty for selling drugs will make a society 'safer' and 'cleaner.'

The United States is far more individualistic than Singapore and would never accept the sorts of things that are accepted there for this 'cleaner' space. Famously, for example, it's illegal (with exceptions for medical reasons) to buy chewing gum in Singapore.

A serious discussion of the pros and cons of what it takes to make Singapore the way it is is one thing, isolating one thing and saying: if we did that we could have a safer and cleaner state like Singapore is not a valid discussion.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2023, 10:52:46 AM »

Lol, of course it is. Singapore is an uncivilized dystopia and I have every right to call them out on it.
Incorrect. Singapore is a model society and a demonstration of what America ought to strive for.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2023, 11:04:12 AM »

Incorrect. Singapore is a model society and a demonstration of what America ought to strive for.

I don't care how ordered their society is or how nice the public transit is. I'd rather live in a place that's a little more rundown or crappy but where I'm not a slave to the state than live some place with a nice park where I'm not even legally allowed to sell a pack of gum.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2023, 11:11:39 AM »
« Edited: April 27, 2023, 02:09:43 PM by DrScholl »

Executing someone for cannabis is the opposite of civilized. There are some decent people who use cannabis and they don't deserve such a horrible fate.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2023, 12:08:05 PM »

I don't care how ordered their society is or how nice the public transit is. I'd rather live in a place that's a little more rundown or crappy but where I'm not a slave to the state than live some place with a nice park where I'm not even legally allowed to sell a pack of gum.

Do you what I care about? Having money. And Singapore’s a better place to achieve that than the USA.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2023, 01:05:52 PM »

Do you what I care about? Having money. And Singapore’s a better place to achieve that than the USA.

Then get your ass over there.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2023, 01:07:02 PM »
« Edited: April 27, 2023, 01:24:37 PM by Horus »

It very much so is. It's just not our place to send troops in to change them.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2023, 01:08:11 PM »

Gtfo then.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2023, 01:13:13 PM »

Why is this in US General Discussion?
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2023, 02:06:12 PM »

I am so glad to have been born in the United States, instead of Singapore where my parents lived before they immigrated to America.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2023, 03:02:40 PM »

My reaction to the thread title: jesus f-cking christ

My reaction to the OP explaining why this was a good thing: JESUS F-CKING CHRIST
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2023, 04:02:48 PM »

Drugs screw up cities and nations, Im not a fan of the death penalty but I do support harsh punishment for drug use. Drugs have destroyed Seattle and downtown may as well be filming the walking dead with all the mindless zombies roaming the streets. Its also the only real solution to homelessness as its usually drug related.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2023, 04:15:08 PM »

I support the death penalty, but not for this crime.

They could have deported him to an island on the opposite side of the planet for the term of his natural life.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2023, 04:16:15 PM »

Drugs screw up cities and nations, Im not a fan of the death penalty but I do support harsh punishment for drug use. Drugs have destroyed Seattle and downtown may as well be filming the walking dead with all the mindless zombies roaming the streets. Its also the only real solution to homelessness as its usually drug related.
That's not because of marijuana.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies