When will the next Democrat be able to win all Southern states?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:27:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  When will the next Democrat be able to win all Southern states?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: When will the next Democrat be able to win all Southern states?  (Read 2020 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2023, 07:42:11 AM »

I think "The Solid South" might be a thing of the past and will never be a thing again. Then again, you could simply shift what "The South" is. 
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2023, 01:55:51 PM »

I think "The Solid South" might be a thing of the past and will never be a thing again. Then again, you could simply shift what "The South" is.

This is already lame enough with states like Virginia, but it would reach new levels of lame if people on Atlas start claiming Georgia isn't the South because it votes blue, lol.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2023, 07:38:56 PM »

^ I actually think A LOT of voters are "usually" apathetic on abortion ... the overturning of Roe v. Wade put a huge spotlight on it, and it likely pushed a lot of moderates toward the pro-choice camp.  I suspect a nationally covered push by liberals to ensure protection for a right to a late-term abortion under any circumstances would reframe the issue in a more pro-life POV for many moderates, as well.  I think the evidence for this is that (1) you get significantly different results for an abortion opinion poll depending on the wording and (2) a very significant percent of voters vote for the opposite party of their stance on abortion.  In 2020, 24% of pro-choice voters went for Trump, and 23% of pro-life voters went for Biden.   Even in 2022, there were very significant numbers of self-described pro-choice voters that supported Republicans in governor races just months after Roe v. Wade was overturned and turned into a statewide issue:

PRO-CHOICE VOTERS ONLY
Arizona: 74% DEM, 24% GOP
Florida: 67% DEM, 33% GOP
Georgia: 71% DEM, 28% GOP
Michigan: 81% DEM, 17% GOP
Nevada: 67% DEM, 31% GOP
New Hampshire: 57% DEM, 42% GOP
Ohio: 56% DEM, 43% GOP
Pennsylvania: 81% DEM, 18% GOP
Texas: 75% DEM, 23% GOP
Wisconsin: 73% DEM, 26% GOP

While Sununu in New Hampshire was a relatively pro-choice Republican (explaining some of the decreased margin), DeWine in Ohio is pretty damn pro-life.  It's also worth noting, though, that pro-life voters shifted WAY to the right, which indicates either increased turnout from more rabid pro-life voters or significant numbers of pro-life Democrats voting GOP in an election that they thought might determine their states' abortion laws (this seems suspect, though, as no GOP candidate won huge portions of Democrats?).
MI Holy cow
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2023, 07:51:40 PM »

The next time Republicans can with The Northeast, I presume?
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2023, 12:48:06 AM »

^ I actually think A LOT of voters are "usually" apathetic on abortion ... the overturning of Roe v. Wade put a huge spotlight on it, and it likely pushed a lot of moderates toward the pro-choice camp.  I suspect a nationally covered push by liberals to ensure protection for a right to a late-term abortion under any circumstances would reframe the issue in a more pro-life POV for many moderates, as well.  I think the evidence for this is that (1) you get significantly different results for an abortion opinion poll depending on the wording and (2) a very significant percent of voters vote for the opposite party of their stance on abortion.  In 2020, 24% of pro-choice voters went for Trump, and 23% of pro-life voters went for Biden.   Even in 2022, there were very significant numbers of self-described pro-choice voters that supported Republicans in governor races just months after Roe v. Wade was overturned and turned into a statewide issue:

PRO-CHOICE VOTERS ONLY

While Sununu in New Hampshire was a relatively pro-choice Republican (explaining some of the decreased margin), DeWine in Ohio is pretty damn pro-life.  It's also worth noting, though, that pro-life voters shifted WAY to the right, which indicates either increased turnout from more rabid pro-life voters or significant numbers of pro-life Democrats voting GOP in an election that they thought might determine their states' abortion laws (this seems suspect, though, as no GOP candidate won huge portions of Democrats?).

That could also be that pro-life Democrats stopped identifying as pro-life in polls.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2023, 12:50:23 AM »

PRO-CHOICE VOTERS ONLY

That could also be that pro-life Democrats stopped identifying as pro-life in polls.
That could be quite plausible.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2023, 11:42:54 AM »

PRO-CHOICE VOTERS ONLY

Absolutely, there could be a lot of underlying causes.  However, what is undeniable is that there is a very sizable portion of the population on both sides that has traditionally not voted based on abortion, especially when it is not currently in the national spotlight ... and even then, it's not really a deal breaker.  You will find way bigger divisions on other issues.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2023, 06:54:03 PM »

This is already lame enough with states like Virginia, but it would reach new levels of lame if people on Atlas start claiming Georgia isn't the South because it votes blue, lol.

But there hasn’t been this old Solid South in a long time, though.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2023, 02:47:07 PM »

The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies