Trump hints that he will skip GOP primary debates
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 04:35:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Trump hints that he will skip GOP primary debates
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Trump hints that he will skip GOP primary debates  (Read 1318 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 25, 2023, 02:03:09 PM »

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2023, 02:06:50 PM »

What I've predicted.
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2023, 02:28:44 PM »

Hopefully the stupid, stupid media learn to stop giving this assclown free time and instead give it to his primary opponents so they can all eat each other.
OriAr
Rookie
Israel

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2023, 03:12:01 PM »

Trump again showing he's afraid of Ron, SAD!
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2023, 03:19:22 PM »

If the GOP primary electorate is going to let him get away with it, he'd be dumb not to avoid the debates. He has a safe enough lead and debates are one of the few things that could jeopardize that.
WalterWhite
United States
Political Matrix
E: -9.35, S: -9.83

P
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2023, 04:11:45 PM »

If the GOP primary electorate is going to let him get away with it, he'd be dumb not to avoid the debates. He has a safe enough lead and debates are one of the few things that could jeopardize that.

Skipping debates projects cowardice, however. It killed Perdue's campaign, for instance.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2023, 04:24:38 PM »

Doesn't matter anyways Biden is gonna easily win
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2023, 04:29:35 PM »

I don't know that he's scared of DeSantis in particular but I do think that he's scared of debating. He struggled a lot to control himself during the Biden debates, particularly that first one where he kept melting down and arguing with the moderator. He's clearly mentally ill and would be likely to have another meltdown. He also isn't guaranteed to be energetic either. When he announced his campaign he was tired and out of breath, and he looked like crap. Debates for a man in as bad of shape as him are very high risk. Same goes for Biden, but Trump supporters are hoping for the 2016 performance that won them over originally. It's not going to happen.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2023, 04:56:37 PM »

Skipping debates projects cowardice, however. It killed Perdue's campaign, for instance.

Governor Lake and President Humphrey agree.
OriAr
Rookie
Israel

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2023, 07:17:28 PM »

Polling could very well look different by the time the summer rolls.
And skipping debates will reflect very poorly upon Trump.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2023, 07:22:31 PM »

If Trump's not in the debates I won't order pizza for them. So I hope he goes to the debates because I want to get pizza.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2023, 08:08:07 AM »

I don't know that he's scared of DeSantis in particular but I do think that he's scared of debating. He struggled a lot to control himself during the Biden debates, particularly that first one where he kept melting down and arguing with the moderator. He's clearly mentally ill and would be likely to have another meltdown. He also isn't guaranteed to be energetic either. When he announced his campaign he was tired and out of breath, and he looked like crap. Debates for a man in as bad of shape as him are very high risk. Same goes for Biden, but Trump supporters are hoping for the 2016 performance that won them over originally. It's not going to happen.

Also, the debates will likely have several candidates specifically gunning for him, whether just to take him down or to raise their own profile. The problem with trying to dodge that criticism by cowering is that it may not work. Oh, sure if the candidates (with help from moderators) can be persuaded to turn on each other, that's great for Donald. (It would really help if there was a Ronald DeSantis-shaped target they could all turn on instead of Donald Trump.) But if instead they all get together and take turns explaining all the reasons why any of the people on stage would be better than Loser Trump... he might still win the nomination, but with the sort of damage that will prevent him from even having a chance at the general. Nothing is guaranteed, but skipping the debates is  a risk.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2023, 09:03:07 AM »

He's afraid and lazy.

POS.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2023, 09:36:20 AM »

Tbh, he's so far ahead, I would consider skipping the debates as well if I were in his shoes. Showing up on stage while you're running away with the nomination would just give credibility to the challengers. His cult loves him anyway, so who care?
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2023, 11:20:20 AM »

Also, the debates will likely have several candidates specifically gunning for him, whether just to take him down or to raise their own profile. The problem with trying to dodge that criticism by cowering is that it may not work. Oh, sure if the candidates (with help from moderators) can be persuaded to turn on each other, that's great for Donald. (It would really help if there was a Ronald DeSantis-shaped target they could all turn on instead of Donald Trump.) But if instead they all get together and take turns explaining all the reasons why any of the people on stage would be better than Loser Trump... he might still win the nomination, but with the sort of damage that will prevent him from even having a chance at the general. Nothing is guaranteed, but skipping the debates is  a risk.

It would be great for Donald, but I doubt that's too likely to happen. Trump is the one who brings the ratings, and he's the only one people care about. Those debates, whether he's there or not, will be all about Trump all the time, so I don't think there'll be much infighting between the other candidates. Maybe some of the hack ones will try to gain a little prominence by tearing down DeSantis, but the moderators are going to direct the conversation towards Trump, I bet.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2023, 01:16:44 PM »

Newt Gingrich, a man famous for his obsession with debates, argues that Trump should NOT debate. Why give Meatball and the rest of the quasimodean freaks polling 40+ points behind Trump the free publicity?
Oppo

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2023, 01:32:41 PM »

Worst news of the year if true
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2023, 02:00:15 PM »

Even Hillary debated in 2016, and Trump is in a way less dominant position now than she was then.

He won't be able to get away with this. 
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2023, 03:48:03 PM »

Even Hillary debated in 2016, and Trump is in a way less dominant position now than she was then.

Trump and his allies essentially are saying he is running as an incumbent President, so no need to debate the token opposition.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2023, 08:38:53 PM »

Newt Gingrich, a man famous for his obsession with debates, argues that Trump should NOT debate. Why give Meatball and the rest of the quasimodean freaks polling 40+ points behind Trump the free publicity?

While I don't think it'll ACTUALLY play out this way, there's a realistic chance that both Biden and Trump go primary and general without ever doing a debate.
AltWorlder

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: 3.83

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2023, 08:41:33 PM »

I want entertainment content so I desperately want to see primary debates from both parties
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2023, 08:49:20 PM »

Trump and his allies essentially are saying he is running as an incumbent President, so no need to debate the token opposition.

I think Trump and his allies are failing to see how pathetic it will look to refuse to debate. The obvious assumption among anyone who isn't dumb will be that he is scared or can't handle it. Del Tachi is right, if he refuses to debate it will hurt him. If the Republican primary polls are accurate, almost half of Republicans prefer other candidates, so skipping will be a disaster.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2023, 10:09:15 PM »

Trump has shortened to $3,50 and DeSantis is at $6.00 now on Sportsbet.com.au

Surprised Biden is running again, as his deterioration with speaking will allow Trump a good shot.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2023, 10:13:24 PM »

I've said this elsewhere, but the sweet spot for Trump is to show up to the first debate, throw his dick around and assert himself as the master of the field, and then say "I'm not debating these losers again, I don't have anything to prove" and skip the rest. Note how in his Truth Social post he complains about the venue and sponsor of the SECOND debate.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2023, 11:40:19 PM »

Well…remember, he was raging and spitting during that debate in an attempt to infect Biden with Covid and alter the last few weeks of the campaign. So yes he’s a sociopath, but there was a reason!
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies