The Lincoln Tribune
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:01:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Lincoln Tribune
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: In the upcoming election for Lincoln Governor, do you support:
Oleg (incumbent)
Sirius
Other
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: The Lincoln Tribune  (Read 3515 times)
FairBol
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 24, 2023, 09:55:07 AM »

Inspired by the Gulf Coast Sun, I've decided to create a regional newspaper for Lincoln.  We'll see how long I actually work on this, LOL. 

Please excuse the dust (no logo yet? "I'm workin' on it"). 

LINCOLN TRIBUNE
Everything You Need to Know

Volume I, Issue 1
Monday, April 24, 2023

LINCOLN DECIDES: APRIL ELECTION
Democratic Alliance, Peace win key races

NEW YORK - The polls have closed in this weekend’s key elections for Atlasian Senate, Lincoln Governor, and Lincoln General Court. Here’s a rundown of the results. 

The biggest victory of the night belonged to the Democratic Alliance. In a huge upset, Oleg defeated Lakigigar (32-25) to claim the governor’s race. One vote was also cast for candidate ZMun. The Alliance was also successful in Nyman, as Utah Neolib won in an unopposed election for Great Lakes Senator

Notwithstanding these wins, the Peace Party also made some big gains.  Party members Christian Man, Dwarven Dragon, and NewYorkExpress took three out of five seats on the Lincoln General Court, handing Peace a majority. The two other seats were won by WeatherBoy and write-in candidate S019, from the Alliance and Labor parties respectively. 

Returning to federal races, Christian Man also emerged victorious in the race for Northeast Senator, although only by one vote over PyroTheFox. Also, all three amendments that were on the ballot have passed by large margins, and been deemed ratified. 

Information concerning the final results for At-Large Atlasian Senate seats was not available as of press time.   

SECESSION PROGRESSION
Is the South "rising again"?

NEW YORK/NYMAN - Existing tensions between the Atlasian government and the Southern Region reached new highs this week.

According to Tribune sources, over the weekend Southern governor YoungTexan attempted to (by an executive order that apparently has since been deleted) shut down all energy pipelines leading to the South. This move has met with concern and protest from other regions, who regard such fuel sources as vital to their respective economies.

In addition, YoungTexan has publicly stated that the South intends to “(obtain) sovereignty, whether that means we are in the Republic of Atlasia, or out”.

Many observers in Lincoln, as well as the nation’s capitol, have understood this as a preliminary declaration of secession. There is growing concern in the Senate over the constitutionality of such a move, and whether negotiations with the South might prove fruitful.

The Tribune will have further reports on this rapidly developing story as news breaks.

ODDITIES: CAN YOU SPARE A DIME?
How about 750 thousand of them?

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - Thieves may not have been counting on finding a mountain of change when they broke into a truck filled with $750,000 in dimes, but they still made off with a chunk of the cargo and left coins scattered around a Philadelphia parking lot, authorities said.

Authorities say the thieves apparently fled with at least $100,000. It’s not yet known how they carted off the mounds of dimes.

The theft was reported around 6 a.m. Thursday. The tractor-trailer driver had picked up the dimes from the Philadelphia Mint on Wednesday, authorities said, and was planning to transport them to Florida on Thursday.

It’s not clear how many people may have been involved in the theft or if they knew what the truck contained. Responding police officers found hundreds of dimes scattered all over the parking lot, and authorities were still trying to determine how much money was stolen.

No arrests have been made.

Courtesy AP News.

MONDAY'S WEATHER FORECAST
For selected cities across the region

Albany, NY: Mostly cloudy, then chance of showers. High 54 degrees.
Boston, MA: Mostly cloudy, then slight chance of showers. High 56 degrees.
Bridgeport, CT: Mostly sunny. High 63 degrees.
Chicago, IL: Partly cloudy. High 48 degrees.
Cleveland, OH: Chance of showers. High 48 degrees.
Detroit, MI: Mostly cloudy, then scattered showers. High 51 degrees.
Indianapolis, IN: Mostly sunny. High 55 degrees.
New York, NY: Sunny. High 59 degrees.
Philadelphia, PA: Mostly sunny. High 60 degrees.

Courtesy National Weather Service.

The Tribune welcomes comments, suggestions, and corrections to the record.  You may DM such comments to Managing Editor FairBol, c/o the Lincoln Tribune.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2023, 01:29:27 PM »

Good idea, i like this.
Oleg 🇰🇿🤝🇺🇦
Oleg
Kazakhstan

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2023, 08:06:07 PM »

It's great, we really lacked a summary of events.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2023, 07:09:11 AM »

According to Tribune sources, over the weekend Southern governor YoungTexan attempted to (by an executive order that apparently has since been deleted) shut down all energy pipelines leading to the South. This move has met with concern and protest from other regions, who regard such fuel sources as vital to their respective economies.

If these fuel sources are so vital why is there a pending bill in the Senate to shut down ALL pipelines and gas?
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2023, 08:26:58 AM »

If these fuel sources are so vital why is there a pending bill in the Senate to shut down ALL pipelines and gas?
There are 173 players in Atlasia
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2023, 06:06:43 PM »

There are 173 players in Atlasia
I'd be shocked if a bill doing that ended up becoming law.
Oleg 🇰🇿🤝🇺🇦
Oleg
Kazakhstan

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2023, 11:10:39 AM »

I call on the regions to respect each other. How can we not respect each other, we are one country. After all, there is the Peace party that should strive to maintain peace, if I understand its paradigm correctly.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2023, 11:26:19 AM »

I call on the regions to respect each other. How can we not respect each other, we are one country. After all, there is the Peace party that should strive to maintain peace, if I understand its paradigm correctly.
One of the regions doesn't currently respect that we are one country. They seem to think that the union is optional and only matters when it services them.
Oleg 🇰🇿🤝🇺🇦
Oleg
Kazakhstan

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2023, 09:33:31 PM »

I respect all of our regions, and our country. Frankly though, this is not enough in my humble opinion though. We must have further regional rights, I will fight for that.
If you think the South needs more autonomy, well, I wish you the best of luck with this issue at the federal level.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2023, 09:55:55 PM »
« Edited: April 27, 2023, 12:04:49 AM by Buehler-Kotek Voter 🇺🇦 »

One of the regions doesn't currently respect that we are one country. They seem to think that the union is optional and only matters when it services them.
I respect all of our regions, and our country. Frankly though, this is not enough in my humble opinion though. We must have further regional rights, I will fight for that.
YT, LoservilleThunder, and I all want to destroy this country. They won't tell you, I just did!
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2023, 10:00:13 PM »

OBD your quote box is messed up.
FairBol
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2023, 06:07:25 PM »

LINCOLN TRIBUNE

Volume I, Issue 2
Thursday, April 27, 2023

EXTRA: ELECTION CHALLENGE
Legal proceedings initiated

NYMAN - The Atlasian Supreme Court has agreed to hear a case challenging the results of this month’s election for At-Large Atlasian Senate. 

On Tuesday, counsel for Old School Republican brought suit before the Court in Nyman.  The plaintiff claims that the Department of Federal Elections “incorrectly tabulated” the at-large Senate race, and that based on this, a full recount should be ordered. 

In granting a hearing on the matter, Chief Justice Sestak has ruled the certification of the race to be “temporarily suspended”.  This has thrown the election into limbo, as all parties wait to see what the Court will decide. 

Arguments in the case of OSR v The Office of DoFE are set to take place from April 27th to May 2nd.

WHAT SAY YOU?
Take our poll, and make your voice heard

Question: What should the Supreme Court do in the matter of OSR v The Office of DoFE?

A. Decide for the defendant, and rule that the certification stands

B. Decide for the plaintiff, and order a recount to take place

C. Dismiss the case altogether

Results of this poll will be posted in the next edition of the Tribune.

ODDITIES: PRETTY POOCH
This contest was definitely a “dog eat dog” affair

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - Patch, sporting a jean jacket as she strutted down the runway, was crowned the winner of Drake University’s Beautiful Bulldog Contest.

The 2-year-old English bulldog beat out 28 other contestants from six states Monday night to win the top prize. The bulldog is Drake’s mascot and the contest kicks off the Drake Relays track and field competition happening later this week. Events will take place at the university’s stadium just west of downtown Des Moines.

Patch’s entry seemed to get a boost when she carefully ambled through a hoop on the runway, bringing cheers from a crowd of spectators. Her owners, Jennifer Hinton and Joel Kornder of Johnston, Iowa, said they had worked on the hoop routine for months ahead of the competition.

“I heard about the contest when I moved to Des Moines this past summer, and I knew I had to enter Patch,” Hinton said. “She is the epitome of the bulldog breed, and we’re so proud of her all the time but especially today.”

After being named the winner, Patch traded in her denim for a satin cape and crown, befitting her role as the Drake Relays mascot and the university’s bulldog representative for the next year.

Patch is a rescue dog and was among nine rescues who competed.

Courtesy AP News

FRIDAY'S WEATHER FORECAST

Albany, NY: Patchy fog, then mostly cloudy. High 66 degrees.
Boston, MA: Mostly sunny. High 61 degrees.
Bridgeport, CT: Mostly cloudy. High 60 degrees.
Chicago, IL: Chance of showers. High 51 degrees.
Cincinnati, OH: Showers likely. High 66 degrees.
Milwaukee, WI: Partly sunny. High 56 degrees.
New York, NY: Chance of showers. High 57 degrees.
Philadelphia, PA: A slight chance of rain early, then rain likely. High 61 degrees.
Providence, RI: Partly sunny. High 64 degrees.

The Tribune welcomes comments, suggestions, and corrections to the record.  You may DM such comments to Managing Editor FairBol, c/o the Lincoln Tribune.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2023, 06:28:32 PM »

I don't think the poll can be accurate with only the 3 options, because there are 3 different counts in the lawsuit. The first count is pretty much an open and shut case, while the other two are questionable.
FairBol
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2023, 06:30:29 PM »

I don't think the poll can be accurate with only the 3 options, because there are 3 different counts in the lawsuit. The first count is pretty much an open and shut case, while the other two are questionable.

Duly noted. 
FairBol
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2023, 11:00:40 PM »

LINCOLN TRIBUNE

Volume I, Issue 3
Thursday, May 4, 2023

EXTRA: ELECTION CHALLENGE DECIDED
Supreme Court rules on case

NYMAN - The Atlasian Supreme Court has issued a ruling for the defendant in the matter of OSR v The Office of DoFE

In a decision published on Wednesday, the Court declared the ballots cast by Adam Griffin and Thumb21 to have been correctly considered as valid.  Writing that an amendment to existing law regarding overseas citizenship “(is) not a deregistration authorization”, Chief Justice Sestak ordered that these disputed votes will be allowed.

On the secondary matter of a challenge to the ballot cast by TheShadowyAbyss, the opposing parties mutually agreed that the vote should not be counted.  As such, Old School Republican has won the final at-large seat in the Atlasian Senate, not Poirot (as the original certification announced).

Neither the plaintiff or defendant provided further comment to the Tribune.

SENATE WATCH: WHAT THEY'RE SAYING
A rundown of recent issues at debate

On SR 114-7, Regional Rights Amendment:

This amendment would establish that the separate regions have certain exclusive and “supreme” rights.

"This proposal would constitute a lethal blow to the Union” – Senator PyroTheFox

"The proposal is fair and balanced, and empowers the regions.  Anyone who is not a hack would support it” – Mr. Reactionary

On SB 114-35, Student Loan Debt Relief Act:

This bill offers relief for certain student loans, based on amount of average individual annual income.

"Allowing general income-based forgiveness seems reasonable to me" – PyroTheFox

"If borrowers are to get relief, the system should be reformed” – LouisvilleThunder

On SB 114-23, No Welfare For Me Act:

This proposal lowers the amount of  “disposable income” that is needed to qualify for receipt of monthly stipend checks.

"This is common sense" – Mr. Reactionary

"Single parents are discriminated (against) by this proposed act.  I can’t support this" – Senator Laki

ODDITIES: THAT'S ONE WAY TO WAKE UP
Can you “bear” this kind of start to your day?

NICHOLAS COUNTY, West Virginia (AP) - A black bear gave a West Virginia principal quite the wake-up call when it emerged — growling and roaring — from a dumpster outside an elementary school.

Zela Elementary School principal James Marsh was surprised to discover the bear had somehow managed to get inside the dumpster over the weekend even after the school installed a lock bar. As Marsh was unlocking the bin Monday, the bear began pushing open the lid.

“That will wake a person up,” Marsh said Tuesday in a phone interview. “That was 7:15 a.m., if you are not already awake that will wake you up.”

Marsh darted away once the bear’s head appeared. The bear then jumped out and ran off in an encounter that was recorded by a school security camera and has since been shared widely across social media. 

“He looked like he was scared, too — as scared as I was,” Marsh said. “He might not be back.”

The school in Nicholas County, about 70 miles (112 km) east of the state capital of Charleston, installed the lock on the dumpster last week after noticing some torn up garbage bags outside.

“It was so big, it was able to pull that lock bar in and out all weekend long,” he said.

After Marsh’s experience, the West Virginia Department of Natural Resources came and made modifications to the lock.

“We will see how it does,” Marsh said. “He didn’t come back last night.”

Courtesy AP News.

SATURDAY'S WEATHER FORECAST

Albany, NY: Sunny. High 70 degrees.
Boston, MA: Sunny. High 68 degrees.
Bridgeport, CT: Sunny. High 67 degrees.
Chicago, IL: Partly sunny. High 65 degrees.
Cleveland, OH: Mostly sunny. High 67 degrees.
Detroit, MI: Partly sunny. High 68 degrees.
New York, NY: Mostly sunny. High 67 degrees.
Philadelphia, PA: Mostly sunny. High 69 degrees.

Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2023, 11:05:48 PM »

Just to be sure, the quotes in the senate watch part are real ?
FairBol
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2023, 11:06:57 PM »

Yeah.  I got them from the respective debate threads, if you're curious about my sources. 
FairBol
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2023, 02:31:22 AM »

A somewhat abbreviated edition of the Tribune follows. 

--

LINCOLN TRIBUNE

Volume I, Issue 4
Saturday, May 13, 2023

MULTIPLE DEVELOPMENTS IN SOUTHERN CRISIS
Prosecutors move for indictment; citizens attempt recall

NYMAN - There are multiple breaking developments in the ongoing secession crisis. 

On Thursday, special counsel for the Atlasian government filed several criminal charges against alleged leaders of the South’s secessionist movement.  According to the prosecution, Southern governor YoungTexan and nine others are guilty of offenses that include secession, rebellion, and aiding a rebellion. 

Specifically, the special counsel contends that actions of the accused “constitute a clear and present danger to the stability and integrity” of Atlasia.  A grand jury is being assembled regarding this matter, which does not have an initial court appearance date scheduled as of press time.

GOVERNOR FACES THE MUSIC

In a related late-breaking story, voters in the South are set to cast ballots regarding a recall of the embattled governor. 

On Wednesday, Southern Supervisor of Elections Reagante certified a petition seeking YoungTexan’s removal from office, declaring that it had reached the necessary amount of signatures for appearance in a special election.  If four-fifths of those eligible to vote cast their ballots in favor of the recall, YoungTexan will forfeit the office of governor. 

The Tribune will have more on this story as it becomes available. 

On SB 115-05, AtlasCare Improvement Act:

The stated purpose of this bill is to make several improvements to the AtlasCare health system.

Citizens in both urban and rural areas are struggling with the rising costs of prescription drug medication" – Senator TheFlyingMongoose

Why are we raising the threshold for…compensation? Currently, we offer tax credits” – Scott

On SR 115-08, An Amendment to the Fifth Constitution of Atlasia:

This amendment would establish that, on the question of abortion, regional governments have “full authority to determine and regulate policy”.

"Stop wasting (the Senate’s) time; we’ll never pass this" – Pericles

"Regions should have more power to protect life” – LouisvilleThunder

EDITORIAL: HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY
Taking time out to praise mom

What is a mother? She is a creator, nurturer, and teacher.  Our mothers give life to us, and raise us to be men and women.  They pick us up when we fall, encourage us when we’re down, and care for us through thick and thin.  When we are happy, they are happy; when we cry, they cry as well. 

Mothers laugh at our jokes (no matter how lame those jokes might be), guide us with their wisdom, and protect us with their love.  They are a constant source of inspiration and positivity.  On a personal note, this humble scribe owes an enormous debt to his mother; one that he will probably never be able to repay. 

So on this Mother’s Day, allow me to offer honor and praise to all the mothers out there, including mine.

Thanks, Mom. 

-- FairBol, Managing Editor

FairBol
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2023, 12:10:47 PM »

Extended version today. 

--

LINCOLN TRIBUNE

Volume I, Issue 5
Wednesday, May 31, 2023

OOC (OUT OF CHARACTER) NEWS: SERVER OUTAGE
Talkelections.org back in action

SOMEWHERE IN CYBERSPACE - On Wednesday, full service was restored to the Talk Elections pages after both it and its sister site went down for a time. 

At approximately eleven PM Eastern time on Tuesday night, patrons of Talkelections.org found themselves unable to access the site, as it returned an “HTTP 500” error.  With the page out of service, some users worried that administrators had pulled the plug on the project. 

Then, at approximately ten o’clock Eastern time on Wednesday morning, the associated forums roared back to life.  The total elapsed downtime was about eleven hours in length. 

As of press time, the cause of the extended outage is unknown to Tribune staff. The Tribune will have more on this story as it becomes available. 

EXPULSION PUSH BEGINS IN SENATE
Defendants face removal from body

NYMAN -  Debate has opened in the impeachment trials of Senators Old School Republican and Mr. Reactionary.  Both politicians are accused of treason as a result of the Southern secession crisis.  The full Senate will shortly vote on the validity of such charges, perhaps as early as this week. 

If convicted, the defendants will be removed from office, as well as disqualified from holding further office in Atlasia “for a period not exceeding two years”. 

The threshold for conviction is the concurrence of two-thirds of the Senate’s members.

On SB 115-26, Windfall Tax Act:

This bill would assess a fifty percent tax on each barrel of oil either extracted in, or imported to, Atlasia.

"This is a tax that would specifically be applied to oil company profits…without putting a burden on the people who depend on gas" – Senator Scott

"This will in fact put all the burden on (people who depend on gas)" – North Carolina Yankee

On SB 115-29, The Land Act:

This legislation levies a tax on all privately held land, excluding that which is held by non-profit non-governmental organizations.  In addition, the bill lowers the corporate tax. 

"Along with being a good source of revenue, taxing land is beneficial to the economy" – Sirius/Ninja

"I would urge the Senate to oppose the proposed tax cut for corporations" – PyroTheFox

ODDITIES: "IF I KNEW YOU WERE COMING…"
The creature was apparently "beary" hungry

AVON, Connecticut (AP) - A hungry black bear barged into the garage of a Connecticut bakery, scared several employees and helped itself to 60 cupcakes before ambling away.

Workers at Taste by Spellbound in the town of Avon were loading cakes into a van for delivery on Wednesday when the bear showed up. There are between 1,000 and 1,200 black bears living in Connecticut, the state environmental agency says, with sightings last year in 158 of the state’s 169 towns and cities.

Bakery owner Miriam Stephens wrote in an Instagram post that she heard employee Maureen Williams “screaming bloody murder” and yelling that there was a bear in the garage.

Williams told TV station WTNH that she shouted to scare the bear off but it retreated and came back three times.

Williams said the bear charged at her so she backed out of the garage and ran.

Surveillance video obtained by WTNH shows bakery workers walking around the side of the business to try to scare the bear, but then running away after it scares them.

The video shows the bear dragging a container of cupcakes from the garage into the parking lot. Stephens said the bear ate 60 cupcakes.

A baker finally got the bear to leave by honking a car horn, Williams said.

The four-footed thief was gone by the time police and officers from the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection arrived.

No one was injured in the encounter — one in a series of troubling interactions between black bears and humans in Connecticut.

A 74-year-old woman suffered bites to her arms and legs last month when she was attacked by a bear while walking her dog in a Hartford suburb, the first such attack this year. There were two attacks last year, including one in October where a 10-year-old boy was mauled in a backyard.

The frequency and severity of bear-human interactions is increasing,” DEEP spokesperson Paul Copleman said Friday.

Statistics compiled by the department show that there were a record 67 reports of bears entering Connecticut homes in 2022. The previous record was 45 in 2020.

On Friday, a bear cub wandered into a neighborhood near downtown Hartford and climbed up a tree. Local residents were delighted and surprised, saying it was highly unusual for bears to come into the city. Police, animal control officers and state environmental authorities responded, creating a scene for several hours.

Authorities eventually tranquilized the young bear and planned to relocate it. Its destination was not disclosed.

Courtesy AP News

WEDNESDAY'S WEATHER FORECAST
For cities across the region

Albany, NY: Sunny. High 87 degrees.
Boston, MA: Widespread haze; otherwise, sunny. High 79 degrees.
Bridgeport, CT: Widespread haze; otherwise, sunny. High 73 degrees.
Chicago, IL: A few clouds; thunderstorms possible later. High 86 degrees.
Cincinnati, OH: Sunny. High 88 degrees.
Milwaukee, WI: A few clouds; thunderstorms possible later. High 82 degrees.
New York, NY: Widespread haze; otherwise, sunny. High 75 degrees.
Philadelphia, PA: Widespread haze; otherwise, sunny. High 79 degrees.
Providence, RI: Widespread haze; otherwise, sunny. High 77 degrees.

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2023, 12:42:57 PM »

We definitely need more reporting/news papers drawing attention to the Senate and the debates occurring therein.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2023, 05:43:47 AM »

We definitely need more reporting/news papers drawing attention to the Senate and the debates occurring therein.
This is a public service. I thank Fairbol for making this.
FairBol
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2023, 12:34:44 AM »

This is a public service. I thank Fairbol for making this.

Glad you like it!
FairBol
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2023, 12:59:04 AM »

LINCOLN TRIBUNE

Volume I, Issue 6
Sunday, June 4, 2023

SECESSION CRISIS UPDATE
Prosecution rests case regarding possible indictments

NYMAN - The prosecution has rested its case as to the indictment of Atlasians allegedly involved in the recent secession crisis. 

YoungTexan, DeadPrez, Mr. Reactionary, Reagante and Sunmerican Dream face possible charges that include rebellion and terrorism, among others.  These matters now move to a grand jury, who will decide whether the five individuals involved must answer to a court of law for their alleged actions. 

In the related expulsion cases of OSR and Mr. Reactionary, the Atlasian Senate is currently voting on motions for cloture.  The Tribune will have updates on these votes as soon as they become available.

On SR 115-33, Fair Democracy Amendment:

This bill would establish definite term lengths regarding the tenure of regional officials, and require regional legislatures to elect at least one member in an at-large manner.

"While I oppose term limits, there should be no year-long terms for any non-judicial officer in the game" – Senator Scott

"With recent events, the argument could be made that all at-large (regional legislatures) (are) better for a variety of reasons" – North Carolina Yankee

On SR 115-31, Aiding And Abetting Treason Amendment:

This legislation would add an amendment to the Atlasian Constitution specifying that "any political party advocating secession…may be unilaterally disbanded by an act of the Senate, subject to the approval of the president".

"While I’m opposed to…any secession movements, I’d rather err on the side of caution" – Scott

ODDITIES: PIPE UP, OR PIPE DOWN?
Weird news

MEMPHIS (AP) - The prayers of a Tennessee church were answered when whoever stole a moving truck near its building didn’t keep what they found inside: old organ pipes, and lots of them.

Calvary Episcopal Church in downtown Memphis had loaded a Penske truck earlier this month with nearly 2,000 organ pipes for transport to Spencer Organ Company in Boston, where they were to undergo restoration. But the truck was stolen after being loaded.

A few days later police found the truck and many of the nearly 90-year-old pipes, but they recovered even more over the weekend, the church told news outlets. The latest recovery came after police got a CrimeStoppers tip on Sunday that led officers to a van that was parked near where they found the truck, the church said.

The Memphis Police Department has impounded the van.

The organ pipes will be sent for restoration, Calvary Episcopal Church Rector Scott Walters said.

Courtesy AP News.

SUNDAY'S WEATHER FORECAST

Albany, NY: Mostly sunny. High 67 degrees.
Boston, MA: Cloudy, with rain likely in the afternoon. High 51 degrees.
Bridgeport, CT: Mostly cloudy, with a chance of showers. High 64 degrees.
Chicago, IL: Widespread haze; otherwise, mostly sunny. High 73 degrees.
Cleveland, OH: Sunny. High 73 degrees.
Detroit, MI: Sunny. High 78 degrees.
Indianapolis, IN: Sunny. High 85 degrees.
New York, NY: Mostly sunny. High 67 degrees.
Providence, RI: Cloudy, with a chance of rain. High 53 degrees.

FairBol
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2023, 10:41:37 AM »

Haven't written an edition in a bit, will get back on it soon. 
FairBol
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2023, 10:46:22 AM »

Ahem...

Not that I've been very active for the past month or so, but....

...I'll be unavailable from Wednesday, July 5 to about Friday, July 7.  Headed up to Lake George, NY for a much needed vacation.  If anyone needs me, hit me up on the 8th.  Smiley

(grabs his shades and suntan lotion)

Wink
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies