Who was the Strongest Democrat in 1984?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:14:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Who was the Strongest Democrat in 1984?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who was the Strongest Democrat in 1984?  (Read 604 times)
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 23, 2023, 01:22:33 PM »

Would any Democratic candidate realistically have done better than Walter Mondale in 1984?
Out of the 1984 field, here are my takes:
1. Hart had his pulse on the political mood of the 1980s but was A. Weird and B. Lacking in policy substance. Reagan might have pulled off some big debate moments against him.
2. Jackson would've been perceived as too far left and done worse than Mondale; I also think he would have faced prejudice in parts of the country.
3. Glenn is maybe the one I could see doing *better* (but still losing) versus Reagan in the fall. He was relatively moderate and had a good reputation out of the gate as a national hero. But that wasn't even enough to save him in the primaries IRL...
4. McGovern may well have done worse.
5. Then the three I don't know as much about: Askew and Hollings could've made things interesting in the general, but good luck winning the primary. As for Cranston, idk.
mianfei
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2023, 10:54:44 AM »
« Edited: April 24, 2023, 11:06:29 AM by mianfei »

5. Then the three I don't know as much about: Askew and Hollings could've made things interesting in the general, but good luck winning the primary. As for Cranston, idk.
Askew has a reputation as one of the greatest state governors of all time, and he is the one (amongst those who actually ran in the primaries) who might have made 1984 more interesting as far as I can tell.

Askew was conservative on certain social issues, for instance abortion and homosexual rights — in a sense he was something of a New Dealer. However, he was liberal enough on racial issues to appeal to most of the core Democratic non-white constituencies, and he would likely have been more appealing to the suburban Middle America than any Democratic nominee since Kennedy and Johnson.

Hollings might have been able to compete with Reagan as Carter did in the core of the South, but he would have lacked the appeal elsewhere much more than Askew. Cranston, who had the handicap of age — he was ten years older than Jimmy Carter and eight years older than George McGovern — might have been able to attract more liberals to the polls as he had strong support among grassroots nuclear activists, but it is doubtful whether he could have avoided the problems McGovern ran into twelve years before.

Bruce Babbitt, who ran in 1988, and Lloyd Bentsen, who of course was Dukakis’ running mate, were considered potential candidates though they did not run in the primaries (did Babbitt regret not running in 1984??), might have been better than most of those you list.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2023, 08:20:34 AM »

I was disappointed when Hollings dropped out.  I considered him to be the strongest candidate.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies