Why doesn't Boston vote Republican if it's a racist city?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 12:10:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why doesn't Boston vote Republican if it's a racist city?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Why doesn't Boston vote Republican if it's a racist city?  (Read 2136 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 23, 2023, 12:45:22 PM »

All my life I have heard that Boston is the most racist city in America. Jaylen Brown of the Celtics says it is....why don't they vote Republican if it's so racial?
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2023, 04:52:02 PM »

Let’s see…the share of non-Hispanic White population here is just 44%, and the share of people with a college degree is 52%. With numbers like those, it would be very surprising if this city were actually R-leaning.
Diabolical Materialism
SlamDunk

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2023, 05:20:54 PM »

The Irish are genetically predisposed to voting Democrat
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2023, 09:19:46 PM »

The idea racists only vote Republican (to the extent you can neatly delineate a clear line between racist vs non-racist) has always been fallacious.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2023, 11:54:02 PM »

Bostonians be like: "Democrats are the real racists? Guess I'm Ridin with Biden B)"
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2023, 12:07:07 AM »

Boston falls into the relatively small group of places in the US that are very well-educated and affluent while also being racist. This meant that Barack Obama's performance in the Boston metro, outside of academic towns, was pathetic, both in 2008 and also in 2012. This also meant that suburbs ranging from Quincy to Wrentham loathed Donald Trump, not because he was racist but due to the fact that he is a moron and imbecile.

The assumption is that it must be the case that the rioting Irish of Boston must be a bunch of longshoremen and electricians. That episode was 50 years ago: they have moved up in the world and many of their kids are lawyers or accountants...who are incredibly racist.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2023, 12:16:02 AM »

There’s plenty of Yankee racists
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2023, 12:23:03 AM »

A lot of Northerners would like to think of racism as a particularly Southern phenomenon. Even though that is pointedly not true.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2023, 01:05:21 PM »

The city has changed a lot, demographically, in 50 years. The short answer was that the Democratic Party was so dominant and the Republican Party so liberal that it was rational for racist working class factions to remain in the Democratic Party where they punched above their weight in state politics.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2023, 02:03:47 PM »

Didn't BU president John Silber run for governor as a socially conservative Democrat against the socially liberal William Weld?

Another great demographic change has been the significant decline in Catholic identification and rise of no religion in Massachusetts.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2023, 07:43:35 AM »

I don’t think the Yankees are very racist but the Irish sure are. At least compared to other groups. 
Diabolical Materialism
SlamDunk

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2023, 08:29:52 AM »

You do realize that those "Proud Southies" who impaled Negroes on flag poles in the 1970s weren't really Irish...couldn't find Ireland on a world map if their lives depended on it...and 99% were inner-city opiate addicts from broken homes?

Just sayin'
If anything this makes them more Irish.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2023, 10:10:02 AM »

I don’t think the Yankees are very racist but the Irish sure are. At least compared to other groups. 

I’m from the south. You’re all Yankees to me
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2023, 10:12:54 AM »

Lol.  Hang out with a wealthy suburbanite of English ancestry from the Northeast and you’ll uncover their specific brand of racism eventually … it’s just more polite.
sting in the rafters
slimey56
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.46, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2023, 05:11:04 PM »

In addition to the Catholic Church hemorrhaging due to the sex abuse scandal and gentrification it's important to note Massholes are racist in the specific context of "I don't want their kids going to school with mine". Really just NIMBYs all around, those mamooks whining about muh property value are the reason the Pats had to build the Razor out in bumblephuck  Foxboro instead of on the waterfront.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2023, 05:36:50 PM »
« Edited: April 25, 2023, 05:42:30 PM by Suburbia »

In addition to the Catholic Church hemorrhaging due to the sex abuse scandal and gentrification it's important to note Massholes are racist in the specific context of "I don't want their kids going to school with mine". Really just NIMBYs all around, those mamooks whining about muh property value are the reason the Pats had to build the Razor out in bumblephuck  Foxboro instead of on the waterfront.

Is it really bigoted to not want other people to go to school with your children? I see it is classist. A lot of Black, Latino, etc. do the same as well? Institutional racism like redlining, etc. should be stamped out but individual racism is psychological....
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2023, 05:44:36 PM »

Is it really that racist? I live here and don't witness much racism.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2023, 06:10:26 PM »

Pretty much everywhere is less racist than the posters of Atlas claim...
Diabolical Materialism
SlamDunk

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2023, 06:36:34 PM »

In addition to the Catholic Church hemorrhaging due to the sex abuse scandal and gentrification it's important to note Massholes are racist in the specific context of "I don't want their kids going to school with mine". Really just NIMBYs all around, those mamooks whining about muh property value are the reason the Pats had to build the Razor out in bumblephuck  Foxboro instead of on the waterfront.

Is it really bigoted to not want other people to go to school with your children? I see it is classist. A lot of Black, Latino, etc. do the same as well? Institutional racism like redlining, etc. should be stamped out but individual racism is psychological....

It can be both racist and classist.
Mechavada
The News

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2023, 08:21:54 PM »

Now that I'm done watching Dancing with the Stars. . . . . . . . .

From what I've read about the busing crisis the neighborhoods in Southie that had a huge problem with "folks from Roxbury" being bussed to school were far from being "bougie" or "affluent".  I'm certain there were middle class folks in Southie who were outraged by idea of "outsiders" coming into the neighborhood but from what I've ready from this guy from Southie (https://www.amazon.com/All-Souls-Family-Story-Southie/dp/B098FJXDB5/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=southie+book&qid=1682471949&sprefix=southie+book%2Caps%2C565&sr=8-1) is that the schools in Southie were pretty far from being plush places where the middle class and rich folks in that area felt comfortable sending their kids to school.  Like supposedly the environment at the public schools in Southie were so bad that even many middle and upper class Irish Americans who grew up there worked several jobs to put their kids into safer and more disciplined parochial schools in the area.  So yeah, in this case I don't think "classism" had as much to do with it.
Mechavada
The News

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2023, 08:22:54 PM »

I've been to Boston and Mass.  Truth be told neither place is that racist by American standards, the racists just seem a lot more honest about it.
Thank you for being a friend...
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2023, 09:01:23 PM »

I feel that Boston has really changed a lot in the past 20 years, and a good example to represent that change would be the City Council, which reflects the city's shifts in population, and ethnicity.

Sure, there's people everywhere that have racist views (of all races), but I would not say that Boston is very high on that list in the year 2023. 

Boston's immigrant communities are doing well here, and they have dramatically reshaped the city from what it once was.
sting in the rafters
slimey56
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.46, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2023, 09:34:53 PM »

This is true ref. the gap between public and parochial schools however I reiterate my bitterness over these people blocking the Sox/Pats from the seaport district
the artist formerly known as catmusic
schnittdoodle
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.16, S: -7.91

P
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2023, 10:41:07 PM »

Many people in the Northeast/New England are deeply racist internally but want to appear socially liberal and woke. Often it stems from wealthier families being classist and assuming anyone "not like them" is of a lower echelon of society they'd rather not be around. Very much "in this house we believe love is love, black lives matter blablabla" sign in the yard and then voting for exclusionary zoning laws.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2023, 01:23:01 PM »

Why would a large domed stadium complex in south Boston be better than Foxborough or Fenway?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies