Baseball's Athletics team are leaving Oakland for Vegas
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 08:42:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Baseball's Athletics team are leaving Oakland for Vegas
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Baseball's Athletics team are leaving Oakland for Vegas  (Read 492 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 20, 2023, 01:52:12 PM »

The Oakland Athletics will leave the city by 2027 moving to Las Vegas, Nevada and joining the Las Vegas Raiders...

Oakland no longer will have a professional sports franchise in town. The Warriors left town in 2019, the Raiders left and now the A's.

This is why people should not hate the Packers, they are a publicly-owned franchise, people with the financial means can buy stock and be a Packers shareholder; the other teams are all privately owned corporatist billionaires and trillionaires....meaning that they have no reason to be a part of the city's cultural community. The Yankees almost moved out of the Bronx in the 70s, 80s and 90s.

https://www.kron4.com/sports/the-oakland-as-will-no-longer-be-in-oakland/
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2023, 04:58:24 PM »

The Garyfication of Oakland continues....I'd say Detroit, but at least it has the Tigers.

But couldn't they at least go to Vancouver or Portland?...sigh...
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2023, 05:09:40 PM »

The Garyfication of Oakland continues....I'd say Detroit, but at least it has the Tigers.

But couldn't they at least go to Vancouver or Portland?...sigh...

I would have preferred bringing baseball back to Montreal, or if that wasn't an option, something like maybe, Oklahoma City, Memphis or Nashville instead.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2023, 05:26:07 PM »

Isn't this simply jumping on the bandwagon to move to Las Vegas because the Raiders did it?
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2023, 02:04:38 AM »

EVERY SINGLE F@CKING PERSON BEHIND THIS NEEDS TO GO BEFORE A FIRING SQUAD. F@CK DAVID KAVAL, F@CK JOHN FISHER, A DO-NOTHING SON OF A F@CKING BITCH WHO HAS DONE NOTHING BUT RIDE HIS PARENT'S WEALTH. LAS VEGAS SHOULD BE NUKED TO PREVENT THIS FROM HAPPENING.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2023, 02:23:34 AM »

EVERY SINGLE F@CKING PERSON BEHIND THIS NEEDS TO GO BEFORE A FIRING SQUAD. F@CK DAVID KAVAL, F@CK JOHN FISHER, A DO-NOTHING SON OF A F@CKING BITCH WHO HAS DONE NOTHING BUT RIDE HIS PARENT'S WEALTH. LAS VEGAS SHOULD BE NUKED TO PREVENT THIS FROM HAPPENING.

I didn't know there were baseball fans in Oakland. I thought all of the A's fans stayed in Philadelphia (the ones in Kansas City eventually became Royals fans).
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2023, 11:56:49 AM »

Didn't the ownership simply decide to move because Mark Davis did it earlier?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2023, 02:47:53 PM »

Didn't the ownership simply decide to move because Mark Davis did it earlier?

That and also Oakland is not what it used to be.....the Warriors are gone, Raiders and now the A's. The city is seen as declining.

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2023, 09:46:25 PM »

I didn't know there were baseball fans in Oakland. I thought all of the A's fans stayed in Philadelphia (the ones in Kansas City eventually became Royals fans).

The team pwned everyone else in the 70's and won the infamous 1989 "Battle of the Bay" World Series from Oakland. Moneyball is literally based off their post-season in 2002.

What did they EVER get from Philly even close to comparable? Nothing.

G&^ I hope this is trolling.
Catholics vs. Convicts
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2023, 10:33:33 PM »

This is as big of a sports crime as there is. I feel terrible for the good people of Oakland. They don’t deserve to lose the Raiders and the A’s.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2023, 12:03:17 AM »

The team pwned everyone else in the 70's and won the infamous 1989 "Battle of the Bay" World Series from Oakland. Moneyball is literally based off their post-season in 2002.

Yeah- and from the other perspective- I can't imagine anyone in Philly being an A's fan just because they played there in the early 20th Century when the Phillies exist.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2023, 12:07:16 PM »

I get fan base attachment and the desire to share attractions among cities within a large metro (I grew up in the Twin Cities), but from a national level this is not that unreasonable. SF-Oakland is the 13th largest metro area in the US. Other than the Bay Area, only the three largest (NYC, LA, and Chicago) have two MLB teams. Nine metros larger than SF-Oakland only have one team.

With 30 teams and a national audience, it's natural to look at the 30 largest MSAs as candidates for a team. 8 of those 30 don't have a team, but 5 of those 8 are in states that already have multiple teams. That leaves Charlotte, Portland, and Las Vegas as candidates for a team. If I were presented those choices and the current division structure, I'd ask why not Las Vegas?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2023, 03:00:35 PM »

Yeah- and from the other perspective- I can't imagine anyone in Philly being an A's fan just because they played there in the early 20th Century when the Phillies exist.

There are still plenty of Dodgers and Giants fans in New York despite the Mets and Yankees having existed for over sixty years.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2023, 04:39:10 PM »

There are still plenty of Dodgers and Giants fans in New York despite the Mets and Yankees having existed for over sixty years.

There are also still some Braves fans in Wisconsin (I have relatives there) who have never forgiven Atlanta for stealing them.

Trivia: who is the only Brave to play for the team in all three of its cities (Boston, Milwaukee, and Atlanta)?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2023, 04:49:39 PM »

There are also still some Braves fans in Wisconsin (I have relatives there) who have never forgiven Atlanta for stealing them.

Trivia: who is the only Brave to play for the team in all three of its cities (Boston, Milwaukee, and Atlanta)?

I was going to say Hank Aaron, but I don't think he played for the team in Boston. Looking at Wikipedia tells me it's Eddie Matthews.
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2023, 12:57:16 PM »

Who the f@ck do you think goes to A's games? Lowest attendance doesn't mean zero attendance.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2023, 09:15:30 PM »

Who the f@ck do you think goes to A's games? Lowest attendance doesn't mean zero attendance.

Right now? With their track record? At that place?  That's a good question.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2023, 10:43:47 PM »

The same question could be asked of the Miami Marlins.
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2023, 10:59:21 PM »

Besides it's usually a full house on opening day, so while there may be only a few die-hard A's fans several times more are casual fans.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2023, 11:43:22 AM »

Congress could get a big, bipartisan win by passing a bill making it illegal for sports teams to get any public assurance. Whether that be money, reduced land price, etc.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2023, 10:08:07 PM »
« Edited: April 24, 2023, 10:14:43 PM by Benjamin Frank »

When The A's were winning the World Series in the 1970s, they still had thousands of empty seats.

This was a few years later
https://www.vice.com/en/article/ez3ep7/remembering-the-worst-attended-mlb-game-of-all-time
Remembering the Worst Attended MLB Game of All-Time
April 17, 1979: The Night Only 250 Fans Showed Up In Oakland

What's really amazing here is that the A's Stayed in Oakland for as long as they did.

I agree that teams in Vegas (there's also the Vegas Golden Knights in the NHL and MLS may expand there) has kind of become a cliche.

Portland doesn't have a baseball stadium and the Vancouver one isn't great (multipurpose and the roof, although retractable, is the same color as the ball.) San Antonio would seem to make much more sense.

The Vegas 'cliche' thing is one more piece of evidence that business people, far from being geniuses at decision making and handling money, are as likely to follow the hurd as everybody else.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies