Was Hillary interested in the second spot?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:10:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Was Hillary interested in the second spot?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Was Hillary interested in the second spot?  (Read 493 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 18, 2023, 01:38:16 PM »

After Obama became the presumptive nominee, did Hillary Clinton actually want to be vice president or was she disappointed for not being chosen? I'm not sure this is accurate, but once saw a documentary about her that claimed as Secretary of State her opinion of Joe Biden was just medicore. And she thought she would have been better on the job than him. Is this true?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2023, 05:42:35 PM »

I think she definitely would have preferred to be Vice President in hindsight, she would have been better situated to win in 2016 if that was the case.
Redban

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2023, 09:17:10 AM »

In the book "Game Change," it was made clear that she wasn't interested. She still harbored some ill-will towards Obama for the rough primary, and she didn't think she'd feel comfortable working beneath him as a subordinate. She infact rejected his offer to be Secretary of State for that reason. She changed her mind at the last minute only when he said he needed someone to cover foreign affairs without supervision, as he'd be tied up with domestic issues for at least 2 years

On the other side: Obama and his people didn't want Hillary as a running mate either. They had the same concerns that she would struggle to be his subordinate, they were skeptical that voters would believe they were on the same page after a tough fight in the primary, and they knew Bill Clinton might cause issues too, creating the awkward feeling that there were 3 Presidents in the White House. Obama at one point wasn't feeling too thrilled with Biden, Bayh, and Kaine. So he did suggest to his advisers that they consider Hillary at one point. But his advisers immediately said no way.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2023, 10:12:26 AM »

I think she definitely would have preferred to be Vice President in hindsight, she would have been better situated to win in 2016 if that was the case.

I agree she would have preferred being VP over Secretary of State, not sure how much that would have made a difference in 2016. She got the Democratic nomination easily in any case, being a sitting 2-term VP could have made her seem even more of an establishment candidate, though I don't know the outcome for sure.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2023, 05:03:10 PM »

I agree she would have preferred being VP over Secretary of State, not sure how much that would have made a difference in 2016. She got the Democratic nomination easily in any case, being a sitting 2-term VP could have made her seem even more of an establishment candidate, though I don't know the outcome for sure.

The way I see it, she would have been more separated from Benghazi and emailgate if she was Vice President. Without those two things 2016 probably would have gone a lot better. The GOP still would have tried something, but those two "scandals" really reinforced the untrustworthy image that was being pounded into the minds of the average American for 25 years.
Jim Crow
Rookie
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2023, 06:58:12 PM »

We've seen what has happened to everyone who works closely with the Clintons.  If she were ever VP, it wouldn't be long before she was the president.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies