Bigotry of low expectations: San Fransisco's decision to delay algebra to 9th grade backfires (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:18:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bigotry of low expectations: San Fransisco's decision to delay algebra to 9th grade backfires (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bigotry of low expectations: San Fransisco's decision to delay algebra to 9th grade backfires  (Read 1972 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: April 17, 2023, 10:44:17 PM »

The fundamental problem is still the way math is taught and not the students.
I am a teacher so I have a lot of insight.

The problem is, modern education doesn't focus on basic math skills. Children are expected to master basic math skills at a young age and continue to move on to more advanced skills. But children who grew up in poverty are less likely to master basic math skills. Than they get to high school expected to do algebra and calculus, but can't do basic math.

I think we need to drastically reform education away from the classical renessiance type of education. Most people don't need algebra, but would benefit from mastering basic math skills. And learning more practical math concepts like taxes, economic data, data managment in the workplace, starting a business etc.

This ^ ^ ^ ^
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies