Bigotry of low expectations: San Fransisco's decision to delay algebra to 9th grade backfires (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:39:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bigotry of low expectations: San Fransisco's decision to delay algebra to 9th grade backfires (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bigotry of low expectations: San Fransisco's decision to delay algebra to 9th grade backfires  (Read 2012 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: April 19, 2023, 08:57:43 AM »

If I'm reading this right the clowns in the SF municipal government/school board saw that BIPOC students were underperforming White/Asian students so instead of looking at income disparities that caused that determined that the material or way that it was taught was racist?

This is exactly why CRT should not be allowed to be used in education at all . By that I don’t only mean teach it but apply it in trainings or policy.

Not sympathetic to CRT at all, but it seems that the issue is less that it was applied and more that it was applied in a brain-dead fashion that did nothing to help those that they are seeking to help and was uncritically carried forth because muh expertise and muh good intentions. There are ideas that could legitimately help close the achievement gap, but delaying mathematical education isn't one of them.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2023, 10:46:39 AM »

The fundamental problem is still the way math is taught and not the students.

It's the parents. Much of the issues regarding our youth can boil down to the type of person who is having children in this era.

What does this mean? Bizarrely eugenic undertones to this.

I've noticed an increasing proportion of serious, hard-working people who would be good parents are opting out of having children citing the bad state of the world today. Meanwhile, people who lack foresight and just act on their flesh continue to have random, unwanted children who grow up developing bad habits. I work two jobs, one white collar and the other in a warehouse; the folks in the latter are having a lot more kids and have much worse lives and life habits than the folks in the former. Anecdotal ofc, and I have no idea if that is what SevenEleven was talking about, but it's what came to my mind when I read that post.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies