Bigotry of low expectations: San Fransisco's decision to delay algebra to 9th grade backfires (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:39:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bigotry of low expectations: San Fransisco's decision to delay algebra to 9th grade backfires (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bigotry of low expectations: San Fransisco's decision to delay algebra to 9th grade backfires  (Read 2003 times)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: April 17, 2023, 10:21:32 PM »

Algebra I is literally the first math class for 9th graders here.

The fundamental problem is still the way math is taught and not the students.
I am a teacher so I have a lot of insight.

The problem is, modern education doesn't focus on basic math skills. Children are expected to master basic math skills at a young age and continue to move on to more advanced skills. But children who grew up in poverty are less likely to master basic math skills. Than they get to high school expected to do algebra and calculus, but can't do basic math.

I think we need to drastically reform education away from the classical renessiance type of education. Most people don't need algebra, but would benefit from mastering basic math skills. And learning more practical math concepts like taxes, economic data, data managment in the workplace, starting a business etc.

He doesn't go in the same direction as you in terms of the alternative, but I always cite Paul Lockhart's A Mathematician's Lament for how badly mathematics is taught.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Mathematician%27s_Lament

I can see the need for some rote learning for basic math skills.

Memorizing formulas and plugging numbers in and figuring out how to manipulate the formula with little to no context provided has got to be the worst way to teach mathematics.

This is a problem in general in most subjects. Not just math.

The problem is, so many kids seem programmed to this kind of thinking themselves and close off to any kind of other way.

I had horrible math teachers when I was in high school. Abusive ones too. And manipulate ones.

I get that, I had one hold me back for no true reason.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies