1990 midterms under Prez Dukakis
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:44:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1990 midterms under Prez Dukakis
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1990 midterms under Prez Dukakis  (Read 712 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 17, 2023, 10:18:17 AM »

If Michael Dukakis kept his polling lead from summer, doesn't committ the blunders he did and HW is further tainted by Iran Contra, how do you think the 1990 midterms go after Dukakis wins the presidency? Does the Gingrich revolution happen 4 years earlier or does that just occur in 1994 during a hypothetical 2nd term? Although there are valid arguments to claim Dukakis would have been a 1-termer since the economy in 1992 wasn't doing so well.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2023, 10:27:38 AM »

The Republicans likely win around 235 House seats (with Bob Michel as speaker) and pick up Senate seats in Hawaii (Pat Saiki), Iowa (Tom Tauke), Louisiana (Ben Bagert), Michigan (Bill Schuette), New Jersey (Christine Todd Whitman), and are able to convince Richard Shelby and Howell Heflin to switch parties. Republicans also hold onto their other Senate seats up in 1990 as well.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2023, 03:26:56 PM »

I think 1990 under Dukakis would more resemble 1978 than 1994 as I doubt Dukakis would generate the same personal backlash that the Clintons did. Given those numbers the Democrats would still hold hold onto the House, assuming the down ticket races in 1988 remain the same as the GOP would've needed a net gain of 52 seats to retake the House. The Democrats could potentially lose the Senate though as the GOP only needed to gain 6 seats for a 51 seat majority, but I still have doubts they'd be able to manage a net gain of 6. A Dukakis loss in 1992 could see the GOP retake Congress though.
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2023, 09:49:02 AM »

I think 1990 under Dukakis would more resemble 1978 than 1994 as I doubt Dukakis would generate the same personal backlash that the Clintons did.

True, but GOP underperformance in 1978 was largely due to Nixon/Watergate still being recent, and Democrats got a last-minute boon from the Camp David Peace Accords.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies