How many women have died from illegal abortions?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 06:39:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  How many women have died from illegal abortions?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How many women have died from illegal abortions?  (Read 504 times)
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 15, 2023, 02:19:14 PM »

This is an issue I have yet to see addressed by anyone who is anti-abortion.
If someone calls themselves "pro-life", that person would not want women to die from illegal abortions.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2023, 02:37:59 PM »

The anti-abortion crowd doesn’t likely care. They are only pro birth after all.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2023, 02:56:00 PM »

I don’t think the pro life crowd endorsed illegal abortions.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2023, 05:59:50 PM »
« Edited: April 15, 2023, 06:06:22 PM by hermit »

If someone calls themselves "pro-life", that person would not want women to die from illegal abortions.

You'll never get a straight answer out of them because they prize an unborn fetus over a live person. It's all about the unborn fetus, not about how much suffering is caused to the woman who needs an abortion and can't get one legally.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2023, 06:11:40 PM »
« Edited: April 16, 2023, 07:52:13 AM by 34 Counts of Crumpets »

You'll never get a straight answer out of them because they prize an unborn fetus over a live person. Women are second class citizens who aren't able to make their own decisions about what is best for their body and their health.

It's only natural for the GOP to have become the defenders of the unborn because they're basically the only demographic that can't ask them for any other policy favors in return. Defend minorities, defend LGBT+ people, defend people of any religious persuasion and you will have to actually talk to them about what they want you to do before you get to be on stage with them using them as a political prop. But fetuses? What are they gonna do, issue you a cease and desist? Write an op ed? Nope. You can just say you have their interests at heart, and as soon as they're born say they don't get an opinion if they disagree with you.

See also: Terri Schiavo
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2023, 06:19:54 PM »

Yes, we didn't.
In any case, reality is never perfect and you need to balance countervailing concerns.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2023, 07:11:29 PM »

"Every year, worldwide, about 42 million women with unintended pregnancies choose abortion, and nearly half of these procedures, 20 million, are unsafe. Some 68,000 women die of unsafe abortion annually, making it one of the leading causes of maternal mortality (13%). Of the women who survive unsafe abortion, 5 million will suffer long-term health complications."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2709326/
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2023, 08:17:47 PM »

Of course not. According to the pro-life crowd they will simply all magically disappear overnight. Because reasons.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2023, 09:01:14 PM »

"Every year, worldwide, about 42 million women with unintended pregnancies choose abortion, and nearly half of these procedures, 20 million, are unsafe. Some 68,000 women die of unsafe abortion annually, making it one of the leading causes of maternal mortality (13%). Of the women who survive unsafe abortion, 5 million will suffer long-term health complications."

Thanks for answering my question. I think the numbers put the issue into the proper context.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2023, 10:27:43 PM »

You'll never get a straight answer out of them because they prize an unborn fetus over a live person. It's all about the unborn fetus, not about how much suffering is caused to the woman who needs an abortion and can't get one legally.

At this point the GOP should just rename themselves the Church of the White Fetus
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2023, 10:31:16 PM »

As soon as it happens it will be the biggest news
the artist formerly known as catmusic
schnittdoodle
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.16, S: -7.91

P
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2023, 12:14:46 AM »

Anti-abortion activists haven't thought about the topic in that nuanced of a manner.

I have a family with an OBGYN on one hand and a plethora of anti-abortion activists on the other. I've seen how these discussions go. They cannot be reasoned with and they cannot have logical discussions on the topic because they are DEEPLY emotionally invested in it for, generally, religious reasons. And god is never wrong.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2023, 02:31:45 AM »

Anti-abortion activists haven't thought about the topic in that nuanced of a manner.

I have a family with an OBGYN on one hand and a plethora of anti-abortion activists on the other. I've seen how these discussions go. They cannot be reasoned with and they cannot have logical discussions on the topic because they are DEEPLY emotionally invested in it for, generally, religious reasons. And god is never wrong.

Thank you for posting this. I have experienced the exact same thing myself when trying to hold a civil conversation with these people. They go off on tangents and start talking about "baby killers" and stupid stuff like that. They do get emotional and that's when the conversation stops. It's a waste of time trying to talk with them.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2023, 05:55:01 AM »
« Edited: April 16, 2023, 07:59:45 AM by Meclazine »

Thanks for answering my question. I think the numbers put the issue into the proper context.

Took me a while, but I liked your question.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2023, 06:51:18 AM »

Thank you for posting this. I have experienced the exact same thing myself when trying to hold a civil conversation with these people. They go off on tangents and start talking about "baby killers" and stupid stuff like that. They do get emotional and that's when the conversation stops. It's a waste of time trying to talk with them.

They’re obsessed.
patzer
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -3.48

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2023, 07:27:34 AM »

This is obviously a problem given the data posted above– it's why change in legal status has to come hand in hand with societal change.

If there are enough women willing to kill their kids even in dangerous ways, and they've convinced themselves that what they're doing isn't murder, then that obviously needs to be rectified for the sake of both the mothers and their kids.

I would say roughly that the ways to handle this problem would be–
1) education in schools. This is the really important thing– inform kids of the actual science about the process of development in the womb, that the baby does have a brain, heart, etc even six weeks after conception, etc. Even the word "abortion" itself is a euphemism and would be best replaced in education with the straightforward "killing".
2) Guaranteed decent financial support for pregnant mothers as well as free access to maternal support groups etc. And also have the legal adoption process be as simple as possible if the mother does not want to raise her child.

But yes, ultimately the crux of the problem is that there are too many hardline abortionists who are too fixated on their ideology to recognize the atrocities being committed, and it's not surprising that some women who've ended up in that ideology would end up trying to kill their kids even by unsafe means. The process of fixing that situation is inevitably slow.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2023, 07:41:32 AM »

This is obviously a problem given the data posted above– it's why change in legal status has to come hand in hand with societal change.

If there are enough women willing to kill their kids even in dangerous ways, and they've convinced themselves that what they're doing isn't murder, then that obviously needs to be rectified for the sake of both the mothers and their kids.

I would say roughly that the ways to handle this problem would be–
1) education in schools. This is the really important thing– inform kids of the actual science about the process of development in the womb, that the baby does have a brain, heart, etc even six weeks after conception, etc. Even the word "abortion" itself is a euphemism and would be best replaced in education with the straightforward "killing".
2) Guaranteed decent financial support for pregnant mothers as well as free access to maternal support groups etc. And also have the legal adoption process be as simple as possible if the mother does not want to raise her child.

But yes, ultimately the crux of the problem is that there are too many hardline abortionists who are too fixated on their ideology to recognize the atrocities being committed, and it's not surprising that some women who've ended up in that ideology would end up trying to kill their kids even by unsafe means. The process of fixing that situation is inevitably slow.

1) The stuff you are talking about is talked about in 7th and 8th grade biology classes. This is nothing new.
2) A lot of the countries that have illegal abortions are in countries where a majority of the population is "pro-life". This problem is even WORSE where there is somehow a "culture of life" and 90% of these societies and countries are basket cases.
patzer
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -3.48

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2023, 08:43:05 AM »

2) A lot of the countries that have illegal abortions are in countries where a majority of the population is "pro-life". This problem is even WORSE where there is somehow a "culture of life" and 90% of these societies and countries are basket cases.
Do they have adequate social safety nets? I could imagine a mother doing that out of desperation if she felt unable to financially or otherwise support her child.

also– if such countries have conservative ideals around marriage then not wanting to have to be tied to the father for years could be a factor?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies