Who do you dislike more?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:14:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Who do you dislike more?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well?
Donald Trump

Vladimir Putin

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 71

Author Topic: Who do you dislike more?  (Read 849 times)
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 14, 2023, 03:42:54 PM »

I'm not here to defend Putin or the invasion of Ukraine, but I hate Trump more. At least Putin isn't a climate denier and had a decent COVID response. Trump's going to invade Mexico once he gets back into office.
Upper Canada Tory
BlahTheCanuck
Canada

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2023, 04:15:14 PM »
« Edited: April 14, 2023, 04:41:55 PM by BlahTheCanuckTory »

Not a fan of Trump, but I dislike Putin much more. Putin is a power-hungry, resentful, corrupt authoritarian dictator who acts exclusively on impulse and doesn't value the human life and dignity of those he views as being inferior to him. Trump has some of these qualities too, but the amount of damage he can do is limited by the moral standards of American society and the checks and balances+accountability mechanisms of the American system, while with Putin no such limits on his power exist.
Upper Canada Tory
BlahTheCanuck
Canada

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2023, 04:19:40 PM »

I'm not here to defend Putin or the invasion of Ukraine, but I hate Trump more. At least Putin isn't a climate denier and had a decent COVID response. Trump's going to invade Mexico once he gets back into office.

It depends on how extensively you apply the term 'climate denier', but Putin has a long history of doubting man-made global warming. Back in 2017 he denied it outright.
https://www.dw.com/en/russias-vladimir-putin-doubts-man-made-climate-change-backs-trump/a-51736903
https://phys.org/news/2017-03-putin-climate-emissions.html

Russia seems like it has a lower COVID death rate per million than USA, but that's because the Russian government covered up the amount of COVID deaths. The actual number is much higher.

Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2023, 04:23:40 PM »

American society has no moral standards.

As for Putin v Trump, Trump is on balance funnier, but on the other hand Putin has had his moments and his reaction to being flashed by a protestor back in the day was genuinely priceless.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2023, 04:26:31 PM »

No comparison. Putin is an evil, murdering terrorist. He is a cunning and methodical psychopath. Trump is almost mentally deranged in a sense. He is a 100% narcissist, to the extent that he seems to lack any self awareness whatsoever. I almost feel bad for him.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2023, 05:01:22 PM »

Trump is a not particularly smart or good conman who has done serious damage to the US and the conservative movement here.  There are many people whose lives are worse off than they otherwise would be because of him.  Maybe you could even point to a few deaths.

Putin has ordered at least dozens (and likely hundreds and possibly even thousands) of people to be murdered.  He has started multiple wars that have killed hundreds of thousands.  He has put many journalists in prison and threatened countless others to play ball or face the same fate.  There is much more, but those three are more than enough to make him far more easier to "dislike".  Maybe Trump would have done the same things as Putin had he had the opportunity, but he didn't.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2023, 08:23:38 PM »

Snlowabrador threaf
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2023, 08:28:41 PM »

You'd have to be an absolute idiot to dislike Trump more than Putin
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2023, 01:34:26 AM »

“Dislike” feels like too tame a word for Putin.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2023, 04:44:10 AM »

I hate both, but I hate Putin more.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2023, 04:55:09 AM »

Putin as is, with the caveat that if given the amount of power over the US that Putin has over Russia, Trump would definitely do worse stuff.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2023, 06:52:37 AM »

The one who is an actual war criminal and dictator: Putin

Also this I guess:

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2023, 11:14:07 AM »

You can *dislike* Trump the most, whilst still thinking Putin is rather more dangerous.

Indeed, this is pretty much my position.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2023, 08:34:18 PM »

I dislike Trump more, he's much more of a threat to our institutions than Putin ever has been.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2023, 11:13:01 AM »

Of course that is also a relevant factor for US posters in particular.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2023, 02:36:23 PM »
« Edited: April 16, 2023, 02:40:24 PM by Alben Barkley »

I dislike Donald Trump more on a personal level. He is anathema to everything I think a man should be. I think Vladimir Putin is probably a more evil person overall, but I also do have a begrudging respect for him as at least a relatively intelligent and competent person, which is more than I can say for Trump. I struggle to think of a single redeeming quality for Trump. He is a liar, a cheater, a thief, an idiot, a brute... There is absolutely nothing positive to say, even in the abstract or in the same kind of sense where you could say "Well at least Mussolini made the trains run on time." An utter disaster of a human being on every level. The closest thing to a compliment I could give Trump is that he is a master manipulator and con artist, but that is still just a side effect of his utter sleaziness and amorality. It is not a positive quality.

I also agree with those saying Trump could be at least as bad as Putin if given the same opportunities and power. Which is precisely why it's so critical to stop him before it possibly gets to that point.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2023, 06:17:40 PM »

I think Vladimir Putin is probably a more evil person overall, but I also do have a begrudging respect for him as at least a relatively intelligent and competent person, which is more than I can say for Trump.

Upper Canada Tory
BlahTheCanuck
Canada

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2023, 10:13:13 AM »
« Edited: April 17, 2023, 12:01:47 PM by BlahTheCanuckTory »

I think Vladimir Putin is probably a more evil person overall, but I also do have a begrudging respect for him as at least a relatively intelligent and competent person, which is more than I can say for Trump.

I dislike Donald Trump more on a personal level. He is anathema to everything I think a man should be. I think Vladimir Putin is probably a more evil person overall, but I also do have a begrudging respect for him as at least a relatively intelligent and competent person, which is more than I can say for Trump. I struggle to think of a single redeeming quality for Trump. He is a liar, a cheater, a thief, an idiot, a brute... There is absolutely nothing positive to say, even in the abstract or in the same kind of sense where you could say "Well at least Mussolini made the trains run on time." An utter disaster of a human being on every level. The closest thing to a compliment I could give Trump is that he is a master manipulator and con artist, but that is still just a side effect of his utter sleaziness and amorality. It is not a positive quality.

I also agree with those saying Trump could be at least as bad as Putin if given the same opportunities and power. Which is precisely why it's so critical to stop him before it possibly gets to that point.

I never understood this point, personally. What makes Putin competent? He destroyed an economic boom* in his country in order to destabilize and eventually invade a neighbouring state that was no threat to Russia simply in order to stick it to the West, and failed anyway. He is a resentful, impulsive, vindictive, ethno-imperialist, delusional, maniacal ideologue. If he was ever competent he lost his supposed competence many years ago.

(*When I refer to an economic boom, I mean the period of strong economic growth in Russia between 1999 and 2013, which then ended largely as a result of Russia's actions in Ukraine in 2014 and the subsequent sanctions).
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2023, 01:37:31 PM »

Putin literally committed several war crimes and is responsible for political murders. Trump would most likely favor latter as well and has repeatedly incited violence, though Putin is in a league of his own. If I could throw one of these in a prison cell and throw the key away, this wouldn't even be a close call.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2023, 04:30:57 AM »

I prefer Trump.  I like both and it would be hard to pick between the two.  I am closer to Putin intellectually since we align on anti-universalist civilizational diversity Euroasianism but I have a much closer emotional attachment to Trump.  In the end, for me, it is heart over mind.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies