Should teenage fathers have a legal responsibility to their children?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:32:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should teenage fathers have a legal responsibility to their children?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Should teenage fathers have a legal responsibility to their children?  (Read 1158 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 13, 2023, 10:19:38 PM »

If a teenage boy has sex with a girl, and the girl gets pregnant and gives birth, what legal responsibility, if any, should the boy have toward the child?

Do you let him off the hook because he is just a kid? Or do you insist that a father of whatever age has a duty to mother and child?  And if so, how should these duties be enforced?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2023, 10:23:27 PM »

The family should at the very least have to pay alimony. That aside, I'm not sure how we can legally force someone to be actively involved in childrearing, but if they're not going to be involved they should lose all future parental rights.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2023, 11:51:31 PM »

Nobody should be forced to have legal responsibility of this sort regardless of their age.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2023, 01:49:07 AM »

…yes of course, why wouldn’t they? If the teenage mothers can’t get off the hook, why should the teenage fathers?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2023, 05:50:56 AM »

…yes of course, why wouldn’t they? If the teenage mothers can’t get off the hook, why should the teenage fathers?
so if teenage mothers can "get off the hook", teenage boys should be able to as well then?
Ragnaroni
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.97, S: 1.74

P
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2023, 06:27:10 AM »

Uh yes. He knew of the consequences of what could happen and still did it. He should be responsible.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2023, 08:15:17 AM »

Great question. Great thread.

He should be forced to pay a proportion of his personal earnings to raise the child.

ABBA

Money, Money, Money

https://youtu.be/ETxmCCsMoD0
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2023, 09:15:45 AM »

I agree with having the parents pay alimony if the girl decides to raise the baby, but no minor should ever be forced into parenthood. (And if they are raising a child, let them vote for God's sake!) And in general I'm just against the idea of someone being forced into anything (libertarian). And I would extend that not only to abortion, but also giving men the choice not to be fathers or pay alimony -- provided that decision is made during and not after the pregnancy.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2023, 10:46:04 AM »

Alimony is not the same thing as child support. There is no reasonable justification for a teenager or his family to pay alimony under any circumstances. Of course, he should be liable for child support.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2023, 12:01:29 PM »

so if teenage mothers can "get off the hook", teenage boys should be able to as well then?

If you're talking about like, adoption, then yes.

What I'm objecting to is the prompt's implication that custody should default to the mother, and that parental responsibility of teenage fathers is something that's even up for debate.

Nobody would ever make a thread asking if teenage mothers should have legal responsibility to their children, because the answer is obviously yes.

When you ask, "Should teenage fathers have a legal responsibility to their children?" there is the underlying assumption that the mother would be otherwise raising the baby by herself/with the help of her own parents.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2023, 02:50:46 PM »

Yup: child support.

And Zablocki v. Redhail was wrongly decided.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2023, 02:53:17 PM »

Both should be able to get off the hook. If either or both parents are unwilling to care for the child, put the child up for adoption to a willing couple. Applies regardless of age.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2023, 05:23:56 PM »

I've never heard of this case before. Seems like a weird decision; I'm not quite sure how I feel about it but I guess my first instinct would be that Wisconsin's statute was constitutional in its intended purpose but not well-tailored to achieve that purpose.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2023, 06:26:55 PM »

No man is an island.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2023, 06:33:48 PM »

I agree with having the parents pay alimony if the girl decides to raise the baby, but no minor should ever be forced into parenthood. (And if they are raising a child, let them vote for God's sake!) And in general I'm just against the idea of someone being forced into anything (libertarian). And I would extend that not only to abortion, but also giving men the choice not to be fathers or pay alimony -- provided that decision is made during and not after the pregnancy.

This was kind of a dumb point I made since I just researched this, and for using "alimony" as a synonyom for child support. A parent does not have to pay child support if they terminate their parental rights, which is something I can see a lot of teenage fathers doing.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2023, 12:50:40 PM »

Both should be able to get off the hook. If either or both parents are unwilling to care for the child, put the child up for adoption to a willing couple. Applies regardless of age.

Okay but my point is, that if the father wants to put the kid up for adoption but the mother doesn't, then the father should have legal responsibility.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2023, 01:21:10 PM »

I've never heard of this case before. Seems like a weird decision; I'm not quite sure how I feel about it but I guess my first instinct would be that Wisconsin's statute was constitutional in its intended purpose but not well-tailored to achieve that purpose.

It's actually a fairly crucial case in any possible right-wing justification of a federally protected right to gay marriage; although marriage had occasionally been recognized as a natural right in Supreme Court cases in dicta before Zablocki, no case before Zablocki had found a federal right to marriage -- and, indeed, Rehnquist, to a substantial extent the father of modern SCOTUS originalism, dissented in Zablocki, and felt that disallowing marriage for nonpayment of fines was a reasonable power for the State. If Zablocki was correctly decided (or even if the correct conclusion was reached, but through the wrong logic -- it seems to me like a religious-freedom First Amendment argument could also be advanced to defend a right to marriage, and the Fourteenth Amendment due-process one is more than a little silly), then it isn't that difficult to derive the Obergefell conclusion through several different chains of logic. If some future right-wing court overturns Zablocki, it would virtually certainly also be overturning Obergefell.
Jim Crow
Rookie
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2023, 11:31:52 AM »

Yes if they want to get laid, they should pay the consequences for it.  Then we'll see how cool it is to get with girls!
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2023, 11:22:58 PM »

Barring cases like assault against them, being under the influence, or sperm theft, yes.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2023, 05:39:03 PM »

There have been cases of teenage boys getting grown women pregnant, like the infamous case in Quebec in the 1990s
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies