Arizona House expels Rep. Liz Harris (R)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:46:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Arizona House expels Rep. Liz Harris (R)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Arizona House expels Rep. Liz Harris (R)  (Read 726 times)
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 12, 2023, 05:12:42 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/04/12/arizona-legislators-expel-gop-member-over-baseless-election-claims/

The resolution to expel state Rep. Liz Harris, which passed with bipartisan support, said her conduct undermined the public’s confidence in the House, violated the “inherent obligation” to protect the chamber’s integrity and “violated the order and decorum” needed to do the people’s work.

In February, a speaker invited by Harris to testify at the election-focused hearing baselessly accused Democratic Gov. Katie Hobbs, Republican House Speaker Ben Toma, Maricopa County leaders and local judges of accepting bribes from a drug cartel.

Bipartisan 46-13 vote.

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2023, 05:15:24 PM »

When will there be a special election?
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2023, 05:20:29 PM »

They did the right thing but I'm not sure all AZ Republicans did it for the purists of reasons. Harris was a nut ball and an embarrassment to the party. She had somehow barely won a very competitive district and now that her crazy is more out in the open she would have had a hard time keeping it. AZ law as I understand it says she will be replaced by another Republican who is picked in part by the party. Republicans get rid of their problem child and replace her with someone who will be a stronger candidate in 2024.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2023, 05:23:10 PM »

No special election. Not sure of the exact details but someone of the same party will be appointed to fill her term.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2023, 05:23:56 PM »

No special election. Not sure of the exact details but someone of the same party will be appointed to fill her term.
Ah.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2023, 05:24:19 PM »

xavier110
United States
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2023, 06:14:08 PM »

They did the right thing but I'm not sure all AZ Republicans did it for the purists of reasons. Harris was a nut ball and an embarrassment to the party. She had somehow barely won a very competitive district and now that her crazy is more out in the open she would have had a hard time keeping it. AZ law as I understand it says she will be replaced by another Republican who is picked in part by the party. Republicans get rid of their problem child and replace her with someone who will be a stronger candidate in 2024.

Yup. They need every seat they can take, and she would have been a sure fire loser in 2024.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2023, 06:19:43 PM »

Yup. They need every seat they can take, and she would have been a sure fire loser in 2024.
Who do you think they might appoint in her place?
xavier110
United States
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2023, 06:31:57 PM »
« Edited: April 12, 2023, 06:39:41 PM by xavier110 »

Well, it sounds like the GOP district precinct committee people pick 3 names and then the Maricopa County Supervisors select the person from that shortlist.

Depends on if the precinct people pick nut jobs or not. Those precinct people are usually delusional, dyed in the wool, glue huffing freaks. Our supervisors are very mainstream and will pick the least offensive choice.

My guess is it will be the woman who was runner up to Harris in 2022. Her name escapes me. EDIT: Julie Willoughby. She only lost to Harris by a few hundred votes in 2022.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2023, 06:50:09 PM »

Well, it sounds like the GOP district precinct committee people pick 3 names and then the Maricopa County Supervisors select the person from that shortlist.

Depends on if the precinct people pick nut jobs or not. Those precinct people are usually delusional, dyed in the wool, glue huffing freaks. Our supervisors are very mainstream and will pick the least offensive choice.

My guess is it will be the woman who was runner up to Harris in 2022. Her name escapes me. EDIT: Julie Willoughby. She only lost to Harris by a few hundred votes in 2022.
Ah. Thanks for the info.
Can anything be guessed about how likely Rs are to hold the seat in 2024?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2023, 07:31:17 PM »
« Edited: April 18, 2023, 02:37:55 PM by Oryxslayer »

Ah. Thanks for the info.

D13 is most of suburban Chandler with the bit of Gilbert that voted for Biden. The seat overall is a marginal Biden+3 but Trump won it in 2016 to give an idea of its behavior. This is one of the seats where AZ Dems ran only one candidate to try and stave off the expected wave, but instead had a decent environment and actually topped the 3-candidate ballot (two win)) by almost 3.5K votes. So yeah, this is one of the places they are going to send resources in 24 to try and pick up the second seat.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2023, 01:29:31 PM »
« Edited: April 18, 2023, 01:33:51 PM by xavier110 »

Ah. Thanks for the info.

They just selected the three shortlisted. I told y’all these on the ground GOP people are QUACKS. Like, they do not exist in reality.

Can you believe what they did? They included the expelled Liz Harris, lmao.

So the shortlist is Harris, Willoughby (who lost to Harris in 2022 and was endorsed by Kari…), and Steven Steele (I’m unfamiliar with him, but potentially a stop the stealer, per Twitter comments).

The Maricopa supervisors will unenthusiastically pick Willoughby. The GOP here is literally insane.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies