SR 114-25: Proxy Vote Resolution (Amendment Vote)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 04:39:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SR 114-25: Proxy Vote Resolution (Amendment Vote)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: SR 114-25: Proxy Vote Resolution (Amendment Vote)  (Read 2415 times)
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2023, 10:08:52 PM »

I will also not cast any proxy votes in future votes stemming from a general objection to the practice to prevent an endless vote-objection loop from forming because I am interested in the business of governing.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2023, 10:51:23 PM »

This Senate really is a joke.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2023, 10:54:55 PM »

I don't see you or anyone in your party bothering to help make it not be a joke.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2023, 06:00:50 AM »

Regarding these LOAs. I recall in the past once Napoleon posting a LOA for 4 months LOL.

If it happens, iltbere should be a Time limit
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2023, 06:06:24 AM »

Regarding these LOAs. I recall in the past once Napoleon posting a LOA for 4 months LOL.

4 months???
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2023, 07:35:17 AM »
« Edited: April 14, 2023, 08:15:30 AM by West_Midlander »

I am willing to support Utah Neolib's amendment so the Senate can get back to business.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2023, 08:29:26 AM »

4 months???
Yes Nappy liked being facetious. When he was elected he announced he was going to take a LOA until the end of his term lol
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2023, 09:44:11 AM »

4 months???
Yes Nappy liked being facetious. When he was elected he announced he was going to take a LOA until the end of his term lol

He just wanted to get paid for his duties, his LOA enabled him to remain in office.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2023, 12:53:49 PM »

4 months???
I guess that was seen as charming at the time. Lol.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2023, 07:59:40 PM »

I propose the following amendment:

A RESOLUTION
To allow proxy voting in the Senate under limited circumstances

Be it enacted by the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia assembled;

Section 1. Title

This legislation may be cited as the Proxy Vote Resolution.

Section 2. Proxy voting

Section 6 of the Official Senate Procedures and Rules for Operation (OSPR) is amended;

1.) Final Votes and veto overrides votes shall last for a maximum of 4 days (i.e. 96 hours). A final vote may be ended earlier than 96 hours:

a. If the vote has a majority to pass or fail, then the Presiding officer may call 24 hours for Senators to vote or change their votes.

b. If all Senators have voted and the result is unanimous for or against, then the Presiding Officer may end the vote immediately.

2.) If a bill has been vetoed, a Senator has 96 hours to motion for a veto override. A two-thirds majority of the members of the Senate is needed in order to override a veto.

3.) If a redraft is presented, the original sponsor shall have 96 hours after it is offered to accept the redraft or reject it and request an override. If the redraft is rejected by the Senate, the sponsor may then either motion to resume debate on the bill or withdraw the bill from the floor. If the original sponsor shall have left the chamber, the presiding officer shall allow for someone to assume sponsorship as with a normal bill, with the 96 hours commencing after it is completed.

4.) Veto Override and Redraft proceedings shall not be conducted in a slot and thus not subjected to any limits on the amount of legislation on the floor, but shall be conducted in their original threads.

5.) Proxy Votes shall be allowed under circumstances in which a senator has posted a Leave of Absence or similar message of absence and their support for an amendment or bill is implied, provided that no sitting senator objects to the designation of a proxy voter, or, upon hearing an objection, having the assent of two thirds of the senate.

Should this amendment be adopted, the PPT may work this into the bill with whatever other amendments are adopted as necessary.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2023, 08:05:33 PM »

A RESOLUTION

Section 1. Title

Section 2. Proxy voting

Section 6 of the Official Senate Procedures and Rules for Operation (OSPR) is amended;

1.) Final Votes and veto overrides votes shall last for a maximum of 4 days (i.e. 96 hours). A final vote may be ended earlier than 96 hours:

a. If the vote has a majority to pass or fail, then the Presiding officer may call 24 hours for Senators to vote or change their votes.

b. If all Senators have voted and the result is unanimous for or against, then the Presiding Officer may end the vote immediately.

2.) If a bill has been vetoed, a Senator has 96 hours to motion for a veto override. A two-thirds majority of the members of the Senate is needed in order to override a veto.

3.) If a redraft is presented, the original sponsor shall have 96 hours after it is offered to accept the redraft or reject it and request an override. If the redraft is rejected by the Senate, the sponsor may then either motion to resume debate on the bill or withdraw the bill from the floor. If the original sponsor shall have left the chamber, the presiding officer shall allow for someone to assume sponsorship as with a normal bill, with the 96 hours commencing after it is completed.

4.) Veto Override and Redraft proceedings shall not be conducted in a slot and thus not subjected to any limits on the amount of legislation on the floor, but shall be conducted in their original threads.

5.) Proxy Votes shall be allowed under circumstances in which a senator has posted a Leave of Absence or similar message of absence and their support for an amendment or bill is implied.

5a. ) Proxy votes shall be allowed under circumstances in which a senator has posted a leave of absence designates a specific senator to cast votes for them.

5b. ) Proxy votes shall be allowed without a designated senator at the discretion of the presiding President pro tempore or deputy President pro tempore.

5c. ) Proxy votes cast by a designated senator can be changed in the following circumstances during the allotted voting time period;
 The leave-of-absence senator issuing a post disapproving of the vote by the designated senator.

[/quote]
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2023, 08:05:43 PM »

Though not a member of the senate, I’ll weigh in with what I said last night.

Although the circumstances here are definitely ones I’m sympathetic about because of Yankee’s condition, I do think it’s a bad precedent. If this were to be the norm, who’s to say Labor or whoever else ends up electing a slate with only one active member and a bunch of zombie senators who immediately let the active senator vote for them?

While that hypothetical might not be fully realized, the fact is that I could totally see, in the current climate, Labor or the Feds or whoever else electing a slate with a senator who plans on doing nothing other than swearing in and saying “X will vote for me in my stead” and do nothing else for the term.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2023, 08:18:38 PM »

Though not a member of the senate, I’ll weigh in with what I said last night.

Although the circumstances here are definitely ones I’m sympathetic about because of Yankee’s condition, I do think it’s a bad precedent. If this were to be the norm, who’s to say Labor or whoever else ends up electing a slate with only one active member and a bunch of zombie senators who immediately let the active senator vote for them?

While that hypothetical might not be fully realized, the fact is that I could totally see, in the current climate, Labor or the Feds or whoever else electing a slate with a senator who plans on doing nothing other than swearing in and saying “X will vote for me in my stead” and do nothing else for the term.
The intention of my amendment is to address this concern by preventing overtly partisan proxy votes.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2023, 05:14:10 AM »

Senator Ninja, I think it might be a good idea to limit the objection to each proxy vote/LOA session (perhaps in the Senate Legislation Introduction Thread) otherwise obstructionist Senators, of any party, could object to every vote, forcing a "second vote" on every vote before this body.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2023, 07:54:19 AM »

The intention of my amendment is only to allow the objection when the proxy voter is first designated. If the vote passes, no more objections are allowed.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2023, 07:55:44 AM »

The intention of my amendment is only to allow the objection when the proxy voter is first designated. If the vote passes, no more objections are allowed.

Ah, I see. All good. Let's just merge your amendment and Utah Neolib's and go with that then.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2023, 08:06:57 AM »

Changing my vote to Nay on the amendment if Sirius and UNL merge their amendment.

But then we still have Pyro's amendment after this.

Jesus...
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2023, 08:13:08 AM »
« Edited: April 14, 2023, 08:21:39 AM by West_Midlander »

Proposing this:

A RESOLUTION

Section 1. Title

Section 2. Proxy voting

5.) Proxy Votes shall be allowed under circumstances in which a senator has posted a Leave of Absence or similar message of absence and their support for an amendment or bill is implied.

5a. ) Proxy votes shall be allowed under circumstances in which a senator has posted a leave of absence designates a specific senator to cast votes for them.

5b. ) Proxy votes shall be allowed without a designated senator at the discretion of the presiding President pro tempore or deputy President pro tempore.

5c. ) Proxy votes cast by a designated senator can be changed in the following circumstances during the allotted voting time period;
 The leave-of-absence senator issuing a post disapproving of the vote by the designated senator.

5d. ) A sitting senator may object to the designation of a proxy voter. If an objection is made, the proxy voter and his or her subsequent proxy votes shall be recognized as valid with the assent of two-thirds of the senate.

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2023, 09:19:23 AM »

What have you actually done this session besides post drive-by insults like this one and vote whenever you feel like it? You're part of the problem.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2023, 09:36:45 AM »

I withdraw my amendment in favor of West_Midlander's proposal.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2023, 11:35:27 AM »

Proposing this:

A RESOLUTION

Section 1. Title

Section 2. Proxy voting

5d. ) A sitting senator may object to the designation of a proxy voter. If an objection is made, the proxy voter and his or her subsequent proxy votes shall be recognized as valid with the assent of two-thirds of the senate.

This is an improvement, for certain, however I do not think we should allow proxy votes without a designated senator (5b) under any circumstances.

Also, regarding 5c, this language should be modified from "can be changed" to "must be changed".
If the unavailable senator voices disapproval with the vote (while the vote remains open), it should immediately be changed or voided.

For 5d, I would rather this state a proxy-voter designation can only be invalidated with the assent of "two-thirds of all sitting senators."

Last, I still feel we need to ensure proxy votes are only allowable with specific, referential material to avoid situations where this power is abused.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2023, 04:31:34 PM »

What have you actually done this session besides post drive-by insults like this one and vote whenever you feel like it? You're part of the problem.

You Peace clowns packed the queue so Labor Senators couldn't get their proposals heard for months. I thought I would have some adults to deal with but I have just had to put up with constant stupidity and childishness for months-the IQ of the game has plummeted since my presidency.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2023, 04:40:42 PM »

Proves my point tbh.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2023, 04:57:14 PM »

You Peace clowns packed the queue so Labor Senators couldn't get their proposals heard for months. I thought I would have some adults to deal with but I have just had to put up with constant stupidity and childishness for months-the IQ of the game has plummeted since my presidency.

Lots of people have bills in the queue. But seeing as you screwed up and were and are still too prideful to acknowledge it, I can't say I have much sympathy.

So, "cope and seethe," as they say.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2023, 07:58:55 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2023, 08:06:46 PM by Senator Laki »

As an FYI, i'm against the practice of proxy voting so i'll be voting Nay in any case.

Just out of principle, not now, not ever.

That doesn't have anything to do with Yankee specifically and I understand the reasons being given, but it's about the precedent that would possibly be set, and I do not think allowing proxy voting is a good idea.

I also don't think anyone could for instance even guess how I would vote. I believe the intention is good and is there, but I don't think anyone could vote the way I would vote, or debate/behave in the senate the way I would.

If someone is unable to be active for a long time, they should retire or be expelled from the senate which would trigger a special election or would enable the senator to be replaced by someone more active. In case of a shorter time, or a temporary period of inactivity, a LOA would suffice.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies