Michigan had the highest youth turnout in 2022
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:11:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Michigan had the highest youth turnout in 2022
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Michigan had the highest youth turnout in 2022  (Read 1152 times)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 10, 2023, 10:26:55 AM »

Voter turnout among 18-29 year olds

Michigan: 37%
Maine: 36%
Minnesota: 36%
Oregon: 36%
Colorado: 33%
Pennsylvania: 32%
Washington: 29%
Montana: 28%
Georgia: 26%
Iowa: 26%
Vermont: 26%

Arizona: 25%
Nevada: 25%
North Carolina: 23%
Virginia: 23%
California: 22%
Kentucky: 22%
Ohio: 22%
Nebraska: 22%
Texas: 22%
Connecticut: 21%
Kansas: 21%
New York: 21%
New Jersey: 21%
New Mexico: 21%
Missouri: 20%

Delaware: 19%
Massachusetts: 19%
Rhode Island: 18%
Idaho: 18%
South Dakota: 18%
Arkansas: 17%
Lousiana: 16%
Oklahoma: 15%
Indiana: 15%
Alabama: 15%
West Virginia: 14%
Tennessee: 13%

https://circle.tufts.edu/latest-research/state-state-youth-voter-turnout-data-and-impact-election-laws-2022?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ron_desantis_isnt_running_yet_he_keeps_raising_money&utm_term=2023-04-10
prag_prog
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2023, 11:28:53 AM »

Youth turnout was good for Dems atleast in states which had important races
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2023, 01:46:42 PM »

The youths are crying out and they want BIG GRETCH 💪
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2023, 02:09:08 PM »

Whitmer/Shapiro, Whitmer/Warnock or Whitmer/Moore 2028.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2023, 02:55:14 PM »

Some respect to Maine, Minnesota and Oregon as well!
xavier110
United States
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2023, 03:54:45 PM »

Is there any analysis of total turnout vs youth turnout? No surprise Maine and Minnesota are high when they always have high turnout across all ages, for example. Any anomalies where youth turnout was higher relative to that of other age groups?
Yoda
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2023, 08:18:00 PM »

Tennessee dead last at 13%. Wonder how much that changes in '24 after what happened in the past week. Young voters have to realize that they have to vote if they want a government that works for them instead of punishing the few who advocate for their right to be alive.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2023, 08:20:10 PM »

Tennessee dead last at 13%. Wonder how much that changes in '24 after what happened in the past week. Young voters have to realize that they have to vote if they want a government that works for them instead of punishing the few who advocate for their right to be alive.
I would not be surprised if a majority of young voters in TN were in fact conservative and in fact are closest to ExtremeRepublican in their views for how the whole expelling saga went.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2023, 12:06:10 AM »

MA at 19% is sad, especially considering how overall MA is a pretty high propensity state that values civic engagement - I'd think a lot of these folks would've grown up in engaged homes so by the time they're 18 they just see it as their civic duty.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2023, 12:25:13 AM »

I would not be surprised if a majority of young voters in TN were in fact conservative and in fact are closest to ExtremeRepublican in their views for how the whole expelling saga went.

I highly doubt that a majority of young people in TN agree with two representatives being expelled from the State House for protesting. They might be closer to the republican party on guns than young people in some other states but I doubt a majority agree with them on that issue either.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2023, 01:10:05 AM »
« Edited: April 11, 2023, 01:22:28 AM by Atlasian AG Punxsutawney Phil »

I highly doubt that a majority of young people in TN agree with two representatives being expelled from the State House for protesting. They might be closer to the republican party on guns than young people in some other states but I doubt a majority agree with them on that issue either.
White evangelicals have a lot of children. Are you suggesting that the enough of the children of evangelicals have turned against the GOP that under-30s favor gun control, as a whole? I agree with the former - not even ExtremeRepublican sided with them on this, if he is to be used as a proxy for young pro-GOP opinion - but the latter is unproven.

If anything, young conservatives tend to be more anti-gun control than older ones.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2023, 03:52:10 AM »

White evangelicals have a lot of children. Are you suggesting that the enough of the children of evangelicals have turned against the GOP that under-30s favor gun control, as a whole? I agree with the former - not even ExtremeRepublican sided with them on this, if he is to be used as a proxy for young pro-GOP opinion - but the latter is unproven.

If anything, young conservatives tend to be more anti-gun control than older ones.

Who the hell said anything about them turning away from the GOP? I said it's likely most young people in TN favor some kind of sensible gun control. Most republicans (like Americans overwhelmingly as a whole) favor common sense gun control laws like banning assault weapons, bump stocks, high capacity mags, background checks, etc., they are just horribly represented by republican politicians on this issue.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2023, 04:06:06 AM »

honestly even anything in the 30s should be a shame. And Gen Z is more politically involved at this age than previous generations...
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2023, 05:16:53 AM »

One of the first things I check for in voter turnout analyses is whether it's VAP or VEP.  I thought for sure that it would be VAP, but it's actually VEP. None of the numbers are good, but most are really horrifically bad. Youth turnout is probably the biggest cause for the decline between the record-high midterm turnout of 2018 and last year.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2023, 08:41:09 AM »

These numbers might look fine for American standards, but it's really a very low bar. For young people, most is at stake in elections, yet they don't vote enough. If you don't like the candidates, vote in primaries and consider running yourself. Any turnout below 60-70% is pathetic, imho.

Not mean to come off rude or ranting here, it's just how I honestly feel.
John Forbes Kerrygold 🧈
ObamasWaffle
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2023, 09:07:00 AM »

Can't quit the Whit
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2023, 09:37:28 AM »

Given that the Deep South traditionally has very low levels of voter engagement, Georgia in the top tier of states is pretty astonishing. (Michigan is a traditional above-average but not super-high performer, right? Though in general the abortion referenda bring out a large number of non-traditional voters; in many counties the Kansas abortion referendum got more votes outright than the gubernatorial election several months later).

There's a clear divide between the Top Four states -- Michigan, Maine, Minnesota, and Oregon -- and everywhere else. Democrats did quite well in Michigan and Maine, had a "normal" year in Minnesota (although this may still be a good outcome given inflation/the environment generally), and a pretty poor outcome in Oregon, though they held on overall. Some of these states also had a high tendency to support Democrats at the top of the ballot but Republicans further down -- Michigan had a very wide range of results, ranging from D+14 for Secretary of State (and higher imputed statewide numbers for some prominent County Executive races, actually) to D+1 for Michigan House. (Republicans had a small advantage in candidate number, but it was a very similar D+2 for U.S. House races, where both parties contested every seat). Oregon had the reverse breakdown, with D+14 for Oregon Senate (Ds had an advantage in seats contested but still) but just D+4 for Governor.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2023, 09:45:05 AM »
« Edited: April 11, 2023, 01:30:30 PM by Vosem »

Actually, to give more credit to Michigan Democrats, their best statewide race wasn't even Secretary of State: it was "combined Democratic-aligned state Supreme Court candidates" versus "combined Republican-aligned state Supreme Court candidates". Democrats won 56-37, or by 19 points -- running way ahead of Benson beating Karamo (at 56-42). Libertarians won 7%, but for whatever reason third parties always do really well in way-downballot Michigan races. Democrats kind of managed the campaign poorly, though -- 56-37 was not enough to knock off an incumbent Republican-aligned state Supreme Court Justice. (But incumbent state Supreme Court Justices are hard to knock off everywhere).

It's legitimately fascinating that Michigan Democrats did so well in some races -- double-digits in multiple statewide races -- but the generic ballot was still "basically a tie". Under normal turnout patterns it would've probably been narrowly R, as in WI.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2023, 11:06:22 AM »

Bummed they didn't look at Wisconsin, I wonder if they don't have the data for it.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2023, 03:33:08 PM »

These numbers might look fine for American standards, but it's really a very low bar. For young people, most is at stake in elections, yet they don't vote enough. If you don't like the candidates, vote in primaries and consider running yourself. Any turnout below 60-70% is pathetic, imho.

honestly even anything in the 30s should be a shame. And Gen Z is more politically involved at this age than previous generations...

It ain't Atlas until they start criticizing young people
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2023, 07:52:57 PM »

It ain't Atlas until they start criticizing young people
I don’t criticize young people specifically, I criticize everyone who refuses to vote. If you don’t vote, not even a spoiled ballot, you have no right to complain
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2023, 06:21:02 AM »

All those numbers are depressing.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2023, 07:18:26 AM »

Not good how low those numbers are but also not surprising that the top states are mostly those that have pro-voter access reforms like same-day / automatic registration, and/or were also competitive.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2023, 08:54:41 PM »

Where's Florida's numbers?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies