Abortion legality by state (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:47:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Abortion legality by state (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Abortion legality by state  (Read 7526 times)
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« on: May 03, 2023, 04:10:32 PM »

My prediction of what the map looks like c. 2027

“Restricted” are states that ban abortion at 6 weeks gestation. I put WI in this column for now bc it depends on how the courts rule.

Alaska and Montana have state high court rulings similar to Roe that would have to be overruled.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2023, 10:15:30 AM »

My prediction of what the map looks like c. 2027

“Restricted” are states that ban abortion at 6 weeks gestation. I put WI in this column for now bc it depends on how the courts rule.

No doubt exists as to how SCWIS rules.
I meant like, to what extent the ban is rolled back, whether it’s 6 weeks, 12/15, etc.

Dude, I'm pro-life and even I know it's practically certain that court decision will be 4/3 to read the equivalent of the 2022 Michigan amendment (so up to viability no questions asked and throughout the pregnancy for any health reason including mental health) into Wisconsin's constitution.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2023, 10:07:14 PM »

Depressing that the normal, sane compromise position that's standard across Europe (legal until around 15 weeks) is so uncommon it doesn't have its own category.

Virginia GOP ran in that position but voters didn’t believe them. Same applies to any other Republican that tries to do that.

What if they started putting 12 or 15 weeks on the ballot as a counter-referendum to the MI/OH style referenda?  I don't think the state parties are that smart or willing to compromise, though.  Maybe if Trump endorses that approach.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2024, 09:20:36 AM »

MT will have a vote on if there is a right to an abortion in the Montana Constitution in November.

I thought there was already a state level constitutional right to abortion in MT?  Perhaps it was through a judicial decision vs. written law?
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2024, 03:10:46 PM »

Yes, Arizona has to follow the laws that are on their books.

Nothing in the 15-week ban suggests it’s dependent on Roe’s enforceability however. That’s more or less what this case hinges on, and I’m surprised four justices reached that conclusion: a fairly specious and politically disastrous one… most of the AZ politicos were surprised by this decision. Vice CJ Timmer’s dissent is solid.

My understanding is that when two laws appear to conflict with each other, judges are taught to defer to the older law, because the legislature that passed the newer law could have explicitly repealed the older one, but chose not to?
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2024, 05:21:16 PM »

Kari Lake opposes pro-life laws in Arizona.  She's parroting the anti-life talking points that Trump gave permission to believe.

Look, you can be as pro-life as you want to be, but this law isn't likely to go over in a swing state.  There is such a thing as pushing so hard, so fast on this that the median state position ends up more pro-choice than Roe.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2024, 07:33:53 AM »

Look, you can be as pro-life as you want to be, but this law isn't likely to go over in a swing state.  There is such a thing as pushing so hard, so fast on this that the median state position ends up more pro-choice than Roe.

Extreme Republican is behaving exactly how you'd expect someone to behave who actually does think that fetuses and embryos are morally equivalent to born humans.

The fact that more GOP types don't share his reaction says that most of them don't really believe that in their heart of hearts.

You can believe it has enough moral worth that abortion should be legally discouraged under most circumstances (ideally used only in self-defense) without believing has exactly the same value as a born child.  For example, we rightfully have laws against animal abuse.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies