Abortion legality by state
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:38:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Abortion legality by state
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Abortion legality by state  (Read 6525 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 06, 2023, 01:39:05 PM »
« edited: August 26, 2023, 10:54:17 PM by Just Passion Through »

I felt that another megathread, this time pertaining to abortion legality, was appropriate.

Here is the map as of today. I included the six-month ban recently signed in Florida.
Because Wikipedia already has maps, I'm including much narrower gradients. They should all speak for themselves:

This is obviously much harder to track than legal marijuana status, so please don't hesitate to make corrections and report any news which changes the color.

Wisconsin is likely to at least be yellow after the new WISC affirms support for abortion rights, but legally ambiguous/no providers available will be gray/tossup.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2023, 01:42:16 PM »

What's the situation been with the 1931 "zombie law" whose repeal Whitmer signed yesterday? I imagine it had been stayed by the Michigan judiciary?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2023, 01:50:16 PM »

What's the situation been with the 1931 "zombie law" whose repeal Whitmer signed yesterday? I imagine it had been stayed by the Michigan judiciary?

I literally just went with Wikipedia's (condensed) map, so I'm not completely sure what Michigan's law is now other than what I made with Wiki's help.
Epaminondas

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2023, 02:23:12 PM »

Cali, Washington and South Carolina stand out.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2023, 05:26:49 PM »

South Carolina has a liberal-leaning judiciary (somehow) and the states in green mostly passed their abortion laws (some of the laxest on the planet, while the ones in several of those deep red Southern states are some of the strictest) quite recently, so California and Washington presumably just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2023, 08:48:39 PM »

Hopefully more green appears over time.

South Carolina has a liberal-leaning judiciary (somehow) and the states in green mostly passed their abortion laws (some of the laxest on the planet, while the ones in several of those deep red Southern states are some of the strictest) quite recently, so California and Washington presumably just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Also IIRC California passed a constitutional amendment protecting abortion access last November, and since the CA Supreme Court is incredibly liberal it's possible the judiciary gets around to it first.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2023, 03:36:45 AM »

Wait, where are you getting those shades for CA and WI? The Wikipedia map indicates legal until viability (and the east coast viability states are ones you’ve shaded yellow). All the info I can find on those states suggests viability as the line as well.
patzer
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -3.48

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2023, 04:57:17 AM »

Looking at a world map, it looks like the six green states (AK, CO, NJ, NM, OR, VT) and DC are the only jurisdictions in the world which allow third-trimester abortion on demand!

Wonder how they ended up with such an extreme law and why the federal govt has never ended up stopping it?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2023, 03:19:48 PM »

Wait, where are you getting those shades for CA and WI? The Wikipedia map indicates legal until viability (and the east coast viability states are ones you’ve shaded yellow). All the info I can find on those states suggests viability as the line as well.

Notice I labeled them "during 1st/2nd/any trimester." Wiki says the law is unclear for Wisconsin, and there are no providers in North Dakota, so both are gray.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2023, 03:59:45 PM »

Notice I labeled them "during 1st/2nd/any trimester." Wiki says the law is unclear for Wisconsin, and there are no providers in North Dakota, so both are gray.

Yeah - so why are Washington and California colored in differently from Maine, Connecticut, Hawaii, Maryland, and Michigan, who all also use the exact same “viability” line?

Also, it makes no sense to separate “viability” and “24 weeks”  considering viability is generally considered to occur between 23 and 24 weeks - either all of them should count as second trimester or none of them should.
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2023, 04:38:39 PM »

The South Carolina Supreme Court ruling was 3-2, and one of the three who voted for it has a mandatory retirement this year.  It's pretty likely it gets overturned.  There are also pending state court cases in a few states with total bans (Indiana, Utah, Wyoming) or heartbeat bills (Ohio, Iowa), so it's possible for it to grow a bit over the next little while.  Nebraska also looks likely to pass at least a heartbeat bill this year, and North Carolina could as well.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2023, 09:59:54 AM »
« Edited: April 14, 2023, 12:16:22 PM by Dammit, Janet! »

Thanks Virginia, for sticking this thread. Remaking the map was confusing the hell out of me. Hopefully the new map in the OP is acceptable.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2023, 10:43:55 AM »

Looking at a world map, it looks like the six green states (AK, CO, NJ, NM, OR, VT) and DC are the only jurisdictions in the world which allow third-trimester abortion on demand!

Wonder how they ended up with such an extreme law and why the federal govt has never ended up stopping it?

Reaction to extreme bans elsewhere.
patzer
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -3.48

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2023, 10:54:03 AM »

Like half of the world bans elective abortion. The bans in the US South aren't "extreme".
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2023, 10:57:05 AM »

Like half of the world bans elective abortion. The bans in the US South aren't "extreme".

Not from a global perspective, no. But that's the cause.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2023, 11:16:30 AM »

The world map isn't exect because Quebec does it too (roughly 30 a year). Wierdly, until COVID, there was none, because Quebec government was paying those women to have the late abortion done in the US.
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2023, 07:44:15 PM »

Far from the ideal map:

crazy jimmie
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2023, 11:48:21 AM »

I HATE THOSE RETHUGS!!
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2023, 01:33:07 PM »

It's a political war issue.

If Conservatives oppose X, Liberals support the most extreme position of X , and vice versa.

It's the feel of superiority that you get by oppresing minority views (owning the other guy).
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2023, 08:10:31 AM »
« Edited: April 27, 2023, 08:14:23 AM by Person Man »

As the map consolidates, it is as if America is becoming the Holy Roman Empire of the late 16th century with their Lutheran and Catholic princes or even more ominously, there may soon be a roughly equal number of right-to-life and freedom-of-choice states are more or less geographically connected.
Lincoln Project
TheLP
Rookie
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2023, 03:55:00 PM »

Far from the ideal map:

🤮
Lincoln Project
TheLP
Rookie
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2023, 04:05:48 PM »

My prediction of what the map looks like c. 2027

“Restricted” are states that ban abortion at 6 weeks gestation. I put WI in this column for now bc it depends on how the courts rule.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2023, 04:10:32 PM »

“Restricted” are states that ban abortion at 6 weeks gestation. I put WI in this column for now bc it depends on how the courts rule.

Alaska and Montana have state high court rulings similar to Roe that would have to be overruled.
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2023, 06:06:46 PM »

No doubt exists as to how SCWIS rules.
Lincoln Project
TheLP
Rookie
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2023, 10:11:02 AM »

No doubt exists as to how SCWIS rules.
I meant like, to what extent the ban is rolled back, whether it’s 6 weeks, 12/15, etc.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies