Abortion legality by state (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:50:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Abortion legality by state (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Abortion legality by state  (Read 7554 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« on: April 06, 2023, 01:39:05 PM »
« edited: April 09, 2024, 04:27:22 PM by The world will shine with light in our nightmare »

I felt that another megathread, this time pertaining to abortion legality, was appropriate.

Here is the map as of today. I included the six-month ban recently signed in Florida.
Because Wikipedia already has maps, I'm including much narrower gradients. They should all speak for themselves:

This is obviously much harder to track than legal marijuana status, so please don't hesitate to make corrections and report any news which changes the color.

Wisconsin is likely to at least be yellow after the new WISC affirms support for abortion rights, but legally ambiguous/no providers available will be gray/tossup.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2023, 01:50:16 PM »

What's the situation been with the 1931 "zombie law" whose repeal Whitmer signed yesterday? I imagine it had been stayed by the Michigan judiciary?

I literally just went with Wikipedia's (condensed) map, so I'm not completely sure what Michigan's law is now other than what I made with Wiki's help.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2023, 03:19:48 PM »

Wait, where are you getting those shades for CA and WI? The Wikipedia map indicates legal until viability (and the east coast viability states are ones you’ve shaded yellow). All the info I can find on those states suggests viability as the line as well.

Notice I labeled them "during 1st/2nd/any trimester." Wiki says the law is unclear for Wisconsin, and there are no providers in North Dakota, so both are gray.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2023, 09:59:54 AM »
« Edited: April 14, 2023, 12:16:22 PM by Dammit, Janet! »

Thanks Virginia, for sticking this thread. Remaking the map was confusing the hell out of me. Hopefully the new map in the OP is acceptable.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2023, 10:26:19 AM »
« Edited: July 08, 2023, 10:29:47 AM by Just Passion Through »

Making Wisconsin blue now. The WISC will have a liberal majority by the time it's appealed.

North Dakota has a 6-week law which is effectively moot since the only abortion clinic there has since moved a couple miles across the border into Minnesota.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2023, 05:58:59 PM »

After Gov. Kim Reynolds signed new abortion restrictions into law Friday, most abortions across Iowa are banned. A judge is considering a temporary block of the new law. That decision is expected Monday.

Meanwhile, one organization says Iowans seeking abortions can still get them.

"Abortion is still legal in this country," Midwest Access Coalition director of strategic partnerships Alison Dreith said.

The Midwest Access Coalition is something called an abortion fund. It helps people travel around the Midwest, and sometimes outside of it, to access legal abortions.

"I kind of call it like an abortion concierge or an abortion travel agency almost," Dreith said.

Despite years of political leadership fighting for pro-life policies, Iowa used to be a state Dreith brought people to for abortions.

[...]

For each state that imposes restrictions, it also means there are thousands more potential clients that may reach out to the Midwest Access Coalition.

"Our numbers just keep on going up. In 2021 we saw 800 clients, last year we saw 1,620, so that's more than double what we had seen the previous year, and we're already outpacing that number again this year," Dreith said.
KCCI

The abortion tourism industry will be booming in Illinois. Who wants travel tickets?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2023, 09:46:38 PM »

Joe Lombardo signs an abortion safe haven bill in Nevada.

Best of luck in the next primary, Joe.

Brian Sandoval would've signed this bill, and he himself defeated a sitting governor in the primary.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2023, 07:49:22 AM »

Missouri Supreme Court awards legal victories to abortion rights supporters for next year's ballot initiative.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies