HOW PROGRESSIVE OR CONSERVATIVE IS YOUR STATE?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:33:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  HOW PROGRESSIVE OR CONSERVATIVE IS YOUR STATE?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: HOW PROGRESSIVE OR CONSERVATIVE IS YOUR STATE?  (Read 942 times)
WalterWhite
United States
Political Matrix
E: -9.35, S: -9.83

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 05, 2023, 06:29:21 PM »

GoToQuiz has collected data regarding political viewpoints for each state. Lighter colors represent positions that align with Republicans, and darker colors represent positions that align with Democrats. For instance, the data show that Vermont is the most left-wing state (not necessarily most Democratic state) and that Mississippi and Alabama are the most right-wing states (not necessarily most Republican states). Generally speaking, the Northeast and the Pacific Northwest are the most left-leaning regions, and the South is the most right-leaning region.

Using this data, it is possible to determine the electoral impacts of platform changes. For instance, if Republicans were to become more economically left-wing, the GOP would see gains across the Midwest at the expense of the South. If the Democrats were to become more socially right-wing, the Democratic Party would see gains across the South at the expense of the Midwest.

It also explains certain political trends. For instance, as socially issues have become more prominent in political discourse, West Virginia, a very socially conservative state, transformed from a swing state (as recently as 2000) into a solidly Republican state. Conversely, neighboring Virginia, a socially and culturally moderate state, transformed from a Republican-leaning state (as recently as 2004) into a solidly Democratic state. It also explains the subtle rightward trends observed in Florida: on social and cultural issues, Florida is indistinguishable from its neighboring states; as these issues have become more prominent, Florida has started to vote like the rest of the South.

Additionally, the map highlights untapped goldmines for the Republican and Democratic parties: Delaware and Montana respectively. Even though it is solidly Democratic, Delaware is more conservative than its neighboring states on social and cultural issues; Republicans could be competitive here. The same logic applies for Montana; it is more socially progressive, economically liberal, and dovish than its neighboring states, meaning Democrats could be competitive here.

Source: https://www.gotoquiz.com/politics/political-maps.html (collected April 5, 2023)

ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2023, 12:22:43 AM »

Makes me wonder how they separated social from cultural.

Took the quiz just now and got: [furthest left] Cultural - Foreign Policy - Economic - Social [furthest right]

I am slightly more Socially Authoritarian than my exact age group + gender + US state + ancestry + political party combo, and somewhat more Economically Left than everyone with my given age group + gender + US state + ancestry.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2023, 11:17:55 AM »

Illinois is progressive and keeps on getting more so. Chicago metro area keeps getting more and more Democratic and keeps on more and more outvoting the rural remainder of the state.
MichaelM24
Rookie
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2023, 04:14:47 PM »

Indiana is a rather conservative place. The Democrats here aren't even particularly progressive, for the most part (in fact, my congressional district, in 2016, nominated a Democrat who was a Trump supporter).

When Republicans aren't far-right enough for the base, Republicans will just bolt Libertarian, which is how Donald Rainwater got over 11% in the 2020 gubernatorial race we had.

Definitely an interesting state, and I have been consistently impressed with the Indiana Libertarian Party, but as a leftist, it's definitely not a state I have much interest in living in long-term.
WalterWhite
United States
Political Matrix
E: -9.35, S: -9.83

P
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2023, 07:18:49 PM »

Indiana is a rather conservative place. The Democrats here aren't even particularly progressive, for the most part (in fact, my congressional district, in 2016, nominated a Democrat who was a Trump supporter).

When Republicans aren't far-right enough for the base, Republicans will just bolt Libertarian, which is how Donald Rainwater got over 11% in the 2020 gubernatorial race we had.

Definitely an interesting state, and I have been consistently impressed with the Indiana Libertarian Party, but as a leftist, it's definitely not a state I have much interest in living in long-term.

Surprisingly, the maps show that your state is more left-wing than Florida overall.
MichaelM24
Rookie
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2023, 07:26:37 PM »

Surprisingly, the maps show that your state is more left-wing than Florida overall.

That is surprising. Wouldn't have guessed it, and recent elections here don't show that (or at least, if they do, I'm not seeing it), but I have always thought there was a potential for more leftist ideologies to do well here. Bernie Sanders did win the Indiana Democratic Primary in 2016, for instance, which was encouraging.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2023, 08:35:19 PM »

Thousands of people have taken our Political Spectrum Quiz, which places you on a grid according to your political leanings. We've gathered a lot of statistics from this quiz. What fun would it be if we didn't create neat maps from the data?

Below are four US maps showing state-by-state comparisons reflecting the average scores on four different axes. One caveat to consider is that quiz-takers are self-selected and thus not a representative sample.
This is important to note.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2023, 04:53:16 AM »

A map that shows the Dakotas as most interventionist and the state of Pearl Harbor on the non-interventionist side strikes me as pretty worthless.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies