If the Yankees moved out of the Bronx, where would have been the best location?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:15:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  If the Yankees moved out of the Bronx, where would have been the best location?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Where would have been the best location post-Bronx for the Yanks?
Manhattan

Long Island

New Jersey

Florida

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 10

Author Topic: If the Yankees moved out of the Bronx, where would have been the best location?  (Read 401 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 04, 2023, 09:08:05 AM »

The late owner George Steinbrenner did not like The Bronx as Yankee Stadium's location. He felt the Bronx was too crime ridden and poverty ridden and wanted to move to Manhattan, New Jersey or Connecticut.

Where would have been the best location?

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1994-07-19-1994200034-story.html
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2023, 09:20:10 AM »

I am by no means an expert of NYC metro area geography, but I feel like the only spot that would have been worthy of a new Yankee Stadium would have been a place like Hudson Yards, where they wanted to build the "West Side Stadium" for the Olympics and the Jets. If you would have put the Yankees in Jersey, or Long Island, or Connecticut, man that just would not have felt right.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2023, 09:58:24 AM »

Alcatraz.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2023, 11:19:50 AM »

I am by no means an expert of NYC metro area geography, but I feel like the only spot that would have been worthy of a new Yankee Stadium would have been a place like Hudson Yards, where they wanted to build the "West Side Stadium" for the Olympics and the Jets. If you would have put the Yankees in Jersey, or Long Island, or Connecticut, man that just would not have felt right.
Steinbrenner and Levine were appealing to their suburban base who left the city because of white flight, etc. The Mets wanted to leave Queens too for Long Island.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2023, 11:55:57 AM »

Steinbrenner and Levine were appealing to their suburban base who left the city because of white flight, etc. The Mets wanted to leave Queens too for Long Island.

Yeah I guess the 90s were a different time as far as urban appeal...
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2023, 05:15:14 PM »

Yeah I guess the 90s were a different time as far as urban appeal...

Yes, the 90s were the transition between old urban decay and gentrification....Steinbrenner and Levine like gentrification because let's face it, the South Bronx was not a pretty sight from 1965 to 1993ish......it still isn't......but it has gotten better.

In 1997, The Bronx was named an All American City because things were improving in the early 90s .......

https://clintonwhitehouse4.archives.gov/WH/New/html/19971210-14779.html
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies