Should the Nashville shooter’s manifesto be released?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:23:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should the Nashville shooter’s manifesto be released?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Release the manifesto?
Yes (D)

Yes (R)

Yes (I/O)

No (D)

No (R)

No (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: Should the Nashville shooter’s manifesto be released?  (Read 354 times)
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.23, S: 0.42

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 30, 2023, 09:42:01 AM »

There’s an opinion piece in Newsweek discussing the issues this could cause. link

There is a strong argument not to release it. Every word will be poured over, and will be used by opponents to attack groups to which the shooter belonged.

In a country where we value individualism, our goal should be to move beyond identity.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2023, 10:14:46 AM »

There are studies indicating that media coverage of mass shootings can inspire copycat killers. Giving coverage, no matter how critical, to the shooter/their manifesto can inspire others to seek attention by doing the same thing. I don't believe it does the public any good to have a shooter's manifesto released; mass shooters are already unsympathetic and that will not be changed or lessened regardless of their motives.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2023, 10:19:36 AM »

Nothing about the murderous trash should be released. Let the scum fade into obscurity, it deserves no attention. Focus on helping the victims and preventing these kind of events.
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.23, S: 0.42

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2023, 10:45:05 AM »

Nothing about the murderous trash should be released. Let the scum fade into obscurity, it deserves no attention. Focus on helping the victims and preventing these kind of events.
"It"?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2023, 11:02:02 AM »

we don't have to put it on Google's home page or read aloud on the cable news networks once an hour for three days, but it should be available to the curious.  No matter how nutty is, there is plenty of nuttier sh**t out there.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2023, 11:02:58 AM »

we don't have to put it on Google's home page or read aloud on the cable news networks once an hour for three days, but it should be available to the curious.  No matter how nutty is, there is plenty of nuttier sh**t out there.
Yeah.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2023, 11:08:48 AM »

Yes.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2023, 11:09:07 AM »

Yeah.

This. I think there are serious transparency and freedom-of-information concerns with the idea of just deep-sixing something of obvious interest to the public because of the effect that authorities think it MIGHT have on the national discourse.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2023, 11:58:26 AM »
« Edited: March 30, 2023, 12:06:12 PM by Forumlurker »

Something which may surprise a lot of people on here given my stances on surveillance is that I am a strong believer in the right for citizens to know what is being collected when it doesn’t involve specific information on law abiding individuals (which should remain unreleased for…obvious reasons)

I am pro surveillance state, but a surveillance state should be an open one as well. Anyways given my stance on this, it’s safe to say I believe the manifesto should be released. I don’t think the threat to public safety of releasing it is great enough.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies