Blue avatars, explain to me why you being able to own an AR-15 is actually good for society.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:30:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Blue avatars, explain to me why you being able to own an AR-15 is actually good for society.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Blue avatars, explain to me why you being able to own an AR-15 is actually good for society.  (Read 995 times)
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 28, 2023, 03:29:36 PM »

Go ahead.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2023, 03:52:47 PM »

You fundamentally misunderstand conservatives if you think that they care about what's good for society. Conservatism is fundamentally centered around selfishness.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2023, 07:32:20 PM »

You fundamentally misunderstand conservatives if you think that they care about what's good for society. Conservatism is fundamentally centered around selfishness.

I'm sure you, as a hardcore non-conservative, will cast conservatism in a fair light.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2023, 07:38:02 PM »

Honestly yes let's ban AR-15s, specifically, and only AR-15s, from being bought or manufactured.  If you have one already you can keep it, or turn it into the police for money.

I doubt it will save a single life by itself but maybe just maybe it will save lives because we will start looking for actual solutions once we get beyond arguing over a particular weapon.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2023, 08:01:33 PM »
« Edited: March 28, 2023, 08:14:55 PM by TPIG »

I am of the philosophy that we should be much stricter in keeping  guns out of the hands of those who shouldn't have them - strict background checks, gun safety-training requirements, a federal gun registry (sorry fellow right wingers) to ensure private sales are not made to seedy individuals -  but not strict at all as to what firearms well-adjusted, verified citizens are allowed to purchase. An AR-15 is merely a semi-automatic rifle specifically designed for civilian use and among a class of rifles which account for a tiny fraction of gun deaths. They're flashy and easy to demonize, but they're not the problem.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2023, 09:18:28 PM »

I'm sure you, as a hardcore non-conservative, will cast conservatism in a fair light.

You guys always talk about favoring individual rights over group right. That’s literally what I said.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2023, 09:38:56 PM »

AR-15s allow you to shoot ATF thugs coming to your house to confiscate your AR-15s.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2023, 06:05:07 AM »

You guys always talk about favoring individual rights over group right. That’s literally what I said.

I could cast your ideology in a similarly bad light in a way that might arguably be a technically correct warped misrepresentation. It's not cheeky or smart to make a comment like you did and respond with "oh, it's technically accurate in my perception."

A lot of conservatives also favor protecting/preserving the family, community, state, country, etc. so your assertion is inherently too broad to have any meaning. Your assertion might be true of a couple anarchocapitalists, but that's it.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2023, 07:48:37 AM »

1.more Americans are killed by fists than all rifles combined
2.the vast majority of AR15s and AR15 owners will never be involved in a crime
3.banning things for being not good is super lame.  The people doing the banning need to explain why a thing needs to banned, not the other way 'round.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2023, 10:37:09 AM »

1.more Americans are killed by fists than all rifles combined
2.the vast majority of AR15s and AR15 owners will never be involved in a crime
3.banning things for being not good is super lame.  The people doing the banning need to explain why a thing needs to banned, not the other way 'round.

To add to point 3, it's important to remember that heroin is illegal and tens of thousands of people die from heroin overdoses every year.

I maintain that America's gun violence problem is not about guns, it's about access to guns. It is simply too easy for criminals to get guns in this country. No law-abiding citizen should have their guns taken because criminals use them improperly, at least that's what I maintain.

Instead, we should be treating guns like cars. You ought to be required to get licensed, trained, and demonstrate proper use of a firearm in order to have one. You get drunk and crash your car into a utility pole? You're probably gonna lose your license. Same thing for guns--I think people ought to be able to demonstrate that their guns are properly secured and that they know how to use them. No law-abiding citizen should have a problem with that. Anyone who does is just making excuses.

With great power comes great responsibility. It is simply impossible to ban or confiscate guns in this country and until the vast majority of gun owners are willing to give up their guns, we have to find solutions in the meantime that will actually work.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2023, 03:27:53 PM »

I don't think it is "actually good for society."  Never said that, to my recollection.

Quit painting with a broad brush, young man.
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2023, 06:44:10 PM »

Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2023, 09:51:05 PM »

Me specifically? Because I am good. Anyone as good as me should own a gun.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2023, 11:44:25 PM »

Calling absolute horse shlt on Illinois, we literally have like 100 shootings per weekend in Chicago…?
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2023, 12:49:12 AM »

ARs are for incels and school shooters. AK-47's are a lot cooler
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2023, 04:56:09 AM »

ARs are for incels and school shooters. AK-47's are a lot cooler
and bigfoot is good at hiding in the woods because of magic
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2023, 10:27:04 AM »

Calling absolute horse shlt on Illinois, we literally have like 100 shootings per weekend in Chicago…?

We also have A TON more people.
LostFellow
LostHerro

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2023, 02:01:45 PM »

I mean the graphic cites its sources. Unless you think the CDC is making up numbers or incompetent at this.

If you want a right-wing argument against Newsome's claims, it's easy just to note various confounding factors such as income, or the fact that most gun deaths are attributed to suicides rather than homicides (so the former is irrelevant with respect to the topic of "assault weapons".)

I would personally think those arguments are not as pertinent as access to guns, and personally vouch for nationwide permitting and the like, but it's not hard at all to find legitimate misrepresentations in the reasoning of left-wing politicians (and most public-facing figures in general without specific expertise) without resorting to "bs data."
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2023, 01:04:34 AM »

Valuing individuals over groups is not the same as valuing yourself over both individuals and groups. Not a concept I'd expect you to understand, but I thought I should clarify for others who might read your inane ramblings.
tschandler
Rookie
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2023, 01:01:44 AM »

Handguns are used vastly more in murders sometimes in a day than rifles of all types do in a year.

If Gun Control activists believed their own rhetoric they would go after handguns.  But they won't. They are the favored weapons of many Dem and moderate demographics.

Assault Weapon Bans have nothing to do with mass shootings.  They are about negative partisanship.  It is easy to stereotype modern rifles as weapons of right wing militias or incels. 
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2023, 01:12:48 PM »

not a blue avatar, but a few reasons:

- for when the russkies come
- for when the red chinese come
- for when the ET's come
- to take the final and greatest liberty of all in the event of total defeat by insurmountable enemy forces
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2023, 03:18:48 PM »

Replace conservatives with libs (or at least red avs on Atlas) and the same exact things can be said.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2023, 06:19:02 PM »

It's not just blue avatars who agree that AR-15s are legitimate civilian possessions.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2023, 07:01:36 PM »

It's not just blue avatars who agree that AR-15s are legitimate civilian possessions.
but "bLuE aV bAd"!
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2023, 11:23:36 PM »

Well, you're in the minority.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies