"She lost her trans son to suicide. Can a Kentucky lawmaker make her colleagues care?"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:25:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  "She lost her trans son to suicide. Can a Kentucky lawmaker make her colleagues care?"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: "She lost her trans son to suicide. Can a Kentucky lawmaker make her colleagues care?"  (Read 1259 times)
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 27, 2023, 03:17:05 PM »

Heartbreaking article. I urge people to read it.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2023, 03:46:40 PM »

My guess is no.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2023, 03:51:31 PM »

It is and always will be disgusting how the red states have turned this issue into their #1 priority thsibyear. They're all continuously trying to one-up each other into who can erase trans youth the most.

As a reminder, after being ok with them for decades, in the last year most red states have banned or are about to ban all "gender affirming care" for those 18, without any regard for reversibility, parental consent, or whether the patient has already started. Just absolutely sick, and it will undoubtedly get worse before it gets better.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2023, 04:11:37 PM »

From what the article says, the kids bullied him in school and socially outcasted him - why exactly is this the GOP's fault?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2023, 04:32:39 PM »

From what the article says, the kids bullied him in school and socially outcasted him - why exactly is this the GOP's fault?

The GOP is legitimizing hatred of trans people.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2023, 04:36:46 PM »

"Your son was transgender BECAUSE he was mentally ill. We don't need to modify how we approach trans people, we need to modify how we approach mental illness (with more thoughts and prayers maybe)."
Burke Bro
omelott
Israel

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2023, 05:15:29 PM »

The parents of this child, and of the child’s friend, should have been more proactive at monitoring their behavior online. Their failure to do so, and validation of their children’s new genders, while done out of love for the children, made it impossible for them to find acceptance from their peers. Really a tragic situation.
Perlen vor den Schweinen
kongress
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2023, 05:35:32 PM »

The parents of this child, and of the child’s friend, should have been more proactive at monitoring their behavior online. Their failure to do so, and validation of their children’s new genders, while done out of love for the children, made it impossible for them to find acceptance from their peers. Really a tragic situation.

"Was it wrong for Henry to be continually harassed? No, it's the victim that was wrong."
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2023, 05:56:11 PM »

Fundamentally, this is no different from saying that a parent was wrong to support their child coming out of the closet as gay because of the backlash they might receive.

Textbook definition of victim blaming.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2023, 06:10:17 PM »

Please stay away from children
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2023, 06:12:17 PM »

I mean transgender kids already face one of the highest suicide rates in the country. Conservative took in part to add Trans and gender transition issues as part of their part platform in order to humilate them and promote turnout among Evangelicals. I dont know why we continue to be suprised anymore lets just admit this was always the likely outcome and that Conservatives where perfectful fine with if it means they could gain from it politically.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2023, 07:00:35 PM »

Reading this is absolutely heartbreaking.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2023, 09:05:01 PM »

What's sad is the KY State Senate isn't all that big; those are the same 37 colleagues you see all the time. It's really sad that even in a lot of these smaller state legislative bodies you don't see much friendship or connection between State Senators across the aisle despite all the time they spend together at work.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2023, 10:27:11 PM »

"Your son was transgender BECAUSE he was mentally ill. We don't need to modify how we approach trans people, we need to modify how we approach mental illness (with more thoughts and prayers maybe)."

That is true though. It is a mental illness and how mental illness is handled needs to be modified. Body mutilation and lying to oneself and others is not the solution for a mental problem, it needs a solution that helps fix what is mentally broke or at least give the person the tools to endure if he or she cannot be fixed. It is quite twisted in that people are so intent on denyinf anything is mentally wrong with them that they will resort to and society will accept body mutilation (including for minors).

That all said, bullying should not be tolerated. You can reject transgenderism while still being compassionate to the individual.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2023, 10:45:43 PM »

It is a mental illness and how mental illness is handled needs to be modified. Body mutilation and lying to oneself and others is not the solution for a mental problem, it needs a solution that helps fix what is mentally broke or at least give the person the tools to endure if he or she cannot be fixed.
Estrogen allows me to endure. Frankly, I can't imagine enduring without estrogen. Like, I'm not mentally spectacular, but I am in a much better state than I was before I transitioned.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2023, 11:00:05 PM »

Most Republicans are terrible human beings. So, unfortunately, probably not.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2023, 12:41:16 AM »

You can reject transgenderism while still being compassionate to the individual.

Compassion toward transgender people is not increasing their chances of mental health outcomes and suicides by banning these things in a free country. Psychiatrists, therapists, and doctors associations mostly all agree that the best way to treat a patient who feels transgender is to not try and force them back into the closet. Doing that and then claiming to be compassionate is sick.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2023, 12:48:57 AM »

What's sad is the KY State Senate isn't all that big; those are the same 37 colleagues you see all the time. It's really sad that even in a lot of these smaller state legislative bodies you don't see much friendship or connection between State Senators across the aisle despite all the time they spend together at work.

Thankfully that isn't true in the Nevada legislature at all.  As one of the smallest in the nation (only 42 Assembly members and 21 senators), I'm consistently impressed by the collegial and cordial atmosphere throughout the building at almost all times.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2023, 01:21:26 AM »

It is a mental illness and how mental illness is handled needs to be modified. Body mutilation and lying to oneself and others is not the solution for a mental problem, it needs a solution that helps fix what is mentally broke or at least give the person the tools to endure if he or she cannot be fixed.
Estrogen allows me to endure. Frankly, I can't imagine enduring without estrogen. Like, I'm not mentally spectacular, but I am in a much better state than I was before I transitioned.

What’s wrong with testosterone, in terms of how it makes you feel?
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2023, 08:22:39 AM »

Honestly, I don't even really remember much about how T felt, but it was Not Good.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2023, 08:48:39 AM »

Honestly, I don't even really remember much about how T felt, but it was Not Good.

Hear me out, if you want bigger boobs you should do steroids. In the movie Fight Club Bob used to be a body builder, then the steroids messed up his body and he got bitch tits. Just a thought.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2023, 09:22:42 AM »

Hear me out, if you want bigger boobs you should do steroids. In the movie Fight Club Bob used to be a body builder, then the steroids messed up his body and he got bitch tits. Just a thought.
Bob was cooking.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2023, 11:30:28 AM »

You can reject transgenderism while still being compassionate to the individual.

Nope. "Love the sinner, reject the sin" is a bunch of horsesh**t.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2023, 11:34:57 AM »

Nope. "Love the sinner, reject the sin" is a bunch of horsesh**t.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2023, 02:01:28 PM »

I'm surprised no one mentioned the TN shooting here.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies