6 dead in shooting at Christian elementary school in Nashville
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:16:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  6 dead in shooting at Christian elementary school in Nashville
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12
Author Topic: 6 dead in shooting at Christian elementary school in Nashville  (Read 7754 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: March 27, 2023, 11:28:04 PM »

Who on earth cares what the half-dozen or so useless blue avatars who still hang around here have to say?

Yeah, because the red avatars are definitely the ones beginning diversity to Atlas LMAO

Certainly.  You'll find all of us scattered along a spectrum of "ban all guns" on one end, "slap some more gun control restrictions around the place and hope for the best" somewhere in the middle, and "more guns everywhere actually will make society safer" on the other end.  We're a pretty diverse group on this issue, but our lack of consensus is also sadly why American society as a whole is stuck being forced to abide by the wishes of the soulless deplorable half of the country.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #151 on: March 27, 2023, 11:47:58 PM »

With 3 of the victims being adults, do the authorities think that this was brought about by some kind of personal grudge against the staff?

With many mass shootings personal grudges play a role, so it wouldn't be surprising.

Has it been mentioned if there was anyone who was shot but survived?

No, it seems that everyone who was shot passed away.

That leads me to suspect this person was skilled at hitting their targets and specifically intended to kill who they did.  Which is a horrible thought in terms of the kids.

I've heard reports that one of the children killed was the church's pastor's daughter.  I don't want to speculate too much, but that fact does make me wonder.  But, I'm not sure how a 28 year old would have specific grievances with individual 9 year old kids other than through their families.

I figure the adults (presumably teachers) killed may have been specifically targeted, whereas it's possible that the kids were just collateral damage, unless the daughter was wearing a shirt that said "my father is a pastor" or that shooter knew her personally.

In any case I don't think that we need to necessarily analyze this evil lunatic's actions as if they were in any way rational.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #152 on: March 27, 2023, 11:54:15 PM »

With 3 of the victims being adults, do the authorities think that this was brought about by some kind of personal grudge against the staff?

With many mass shootings personal grudges play a role, so it wouldn't be surprising.

Has it been mentioned if there was anyone who was shot but survived?

No, it seems that everyone who was shot passed away.

That leads me to suspect this person was skilled at hitting their targets and specifically intended to kill who they did.  Which is a horrible thought in terms of the kids.

I've heard reports that one of the children killed was the church's pastor's daughter.  I don't want to speculate too much, but that fact does make me wonder.  But, I'm not sure how a 28 year old would have specific grievances with individual 9 year old kids other than through their families.

I figure the adults (presumably teachers) killed may have been specifically targeted, whereas it's possible that the kids were just collateral damage, unless the daughter was wearing a shirt that said "my father is a pastor" or that shooter knew her personally.

In any case I don't think that we need to necessarily analyze this evil lunatic's actions as if they were in any way rational.

I think it’s important to know why they did what they did, although presumably the release of the manifesto will help.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #153 on: March 28, 2023, 01:19:24 AM »

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #154 on: March 28, 2023, 01:23:23 AM »

Hearing this from J.D. Vance is like hearing it from an MSI lawmaker during the Years of Lead.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #155 on: March 28, 2023, 04:49:21 AM »
« Edited: March 28, 2023, 08:51:38 AM by Meclazine »

Australian media spent the morning listing the shooter Audrey Hale as a female.

Australian media then spent the afternoon and evening listing the shooter as a male.

"Death by Firearm" has now overtaken "Motor Vehicle Accident" as the leading cause of death in US children.

Nashville Shooting Footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYG3Q5KTWu0

In stark contrast to Uvalde, the first responding officers neutralised the threat almost immediately.

A toast to Officer Michael Collazo (left) and Officer Rex Englebert (right) whom a number of children unknowingly owe their lives thanks to their instinct.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #156 on: March 28, 2023, 06:20:28 AM »

Who on earth cares what the half-dozen or so useless blue avatars who still hang around here have to say?

Yeah, because the red avatars are definitely the ones beginning diversity to Atlas LMAO

Certainly.  You'll find all of us scattered along a spectrum of "ban all guns" on one end, "slap some more gun control restrictions around the place and hope for the best" somewhere in the middle, and "more guns everywhere actually will make society safer" on the other end.  We're a pretty diverse group on this issue, but our lack of consensus is also sadly why American society as a whole is stuck being forced to abide by the wishes of the soulless deplorable half of the country.

This tragedy happened for one reason; the soullessness and deplorable nature of the individual shooter.  Full Stop.
Ragnaroni
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.97, S: 1.74

P
« Reply #157 on: March 28, 2023, 06:21:49 AM »

Thoughts and prayers to the victims' families. Another mentally ill PoS killing others for no real reason other than to be violent...
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #158 on: March 28, 2023, 09:12:13 AM »

Another element that people forget in these shootings is that even the kids that weren't harmed or killed will deal with PTSD and other traumatic effects of this for decades (and they may end up in ANOTHER mass shooting in their lifetime).

But nothing will change, this country will move on without a hitch. Disgusting.
FloridaMan1845
Rookie
United States

« Reply #159 on: March 28, 2023, 09:13:52 AM »

There is no issue that makes me think MTG might have a point about how the nation splitting up other than this, I and quite frankly the majority of the nation are sick of this sh*t and we all know what the proven solution is but the senate structure and the election college give disproportionate political power to the hicks who think the 2A is the most important amendment

Yeah, just throw tens of millions of mostly non white southerners under the bus because you and the hicks can't get along. So patriotic.

Crazy how you're fine with America breaking up but will defend Ukraine's territory to the death including Crimea.
FloridaMan1845
Rookie
United States

« Reply #160 on: March 28, 2023, 09:15:27 AM »

You say what you are.
FloridaMan1845
Rookie
United States

« Reply #161 on: March 28, 2023, 09:16:07 AM »

Thoughts and prayers to the victims' families. Another mentally ill PoS killing others for no real reason other than to be violent...
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #162 on: March 28, 2023, 09:16:56 AM »

And what is this all for? Nothing.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #163 on: March 28, 2023, 10:04:52 AM »

So while everyone's been arguing in this thread, has anyone posted this yet?

https://nypost.com/2023/03/27/everything-we-know-about-the-nashville-school-shooter/

Seems that the shooter (1) once attended the school in question, and (2) posted on social media about the problem of gun violence back in 2012. I'm increasingly getting the vibe that this was some kind of attempt to "strike back" against a Christian school that somehow wronged this person, or against Christians/conservatives in general.

Pretty clearly retaliation. Someone mentioned one of the child victims being the daughter of a pastor associated with the school. Tough to say if that's a coincidence or if the shooter targeted her, but if it's true that she's "striking back" against this school in particular it wouldn't surprise me if many of these victims were marked ahead of time.

JD Vance is obviously an unrepentant degenerate and I don't defend him as a person, but he does have a point with the post someone shared in this thread. The rhetoric from the left has been very over-the-top lately. If we're going to (rightly) blame the right wing "white genocide" fear-mongers for anti-immigrant or anti-minority terrorist attacks then it's pretty hypocritical to pretend that there's no chance an attack on a christian school stems from similar fear-mongering on the left.

Also, credit to the officers in this area for putting a stop to the shooting as soon as they could. That's in stark contrast to the Uvalde officers who chose to let as many kids get killed as possible. I still believe the Uvalde officers that refused to intervene in that incident should be given the death penalty.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #164 on: March 28, 2023, 10:15:44 AM »

But actually it’s tiktok which is the greatest threat to our children /s
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #165 on: March 28, 2023, 11:07:51 AM »

Certainly.  You'll find all of us scattered along a spectrum of "ban all guns" on one end, "slap some more gun control restrictions around the place and hope for the best" somewhere in the middle, and "more guns everywhere actually will make society safer" on the other end.  We're a pretty diverse group on this issue, but our lack of consensus is also sadly why American society as a whole is stuck being forced to abide by the wishes of the soulless deplorable half of the country.

This tragedy happened for one reason; the soullessness and deplorable nature of the individual shooter.  Full Stop.

… who had easy access to a weapon of mass murder, that should only be reserved for use on a battlefield.  Full stop.

This is why you folks are so useless in this discussion, and therefore not part of the solution.  Not even close.  Your opinions are worthless.

ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #166 on: March 28, 2023, 11:23:16 AM »
« Edited: March 28, 2023, 12:14:56 PM by ηєω ƒяσηтιєя »

The "pro-life" party, ladies & gentleman. Want to ban abortion in order to "stop babies from being murdered" but then say "We're not gonna fix it" when children are LITERALLY being murdered.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #167 on: March 28, 2023, 11:27:17 AM »

Sincere question for conservatives here: why do you think America is the only developed country where this happens regularly? Are Americans uniquely evil/mentally ill, or is it maybe the fact that there are more guns than people in this country?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #168 on: March 28, 2023, 12:07:28 PM »

Sincere question for conservatives here: why do you think America is the only developed country where this happens regularly? Are Americans uniquely evil/mentally ill, or is it maybe the fact that there are more guns than people in this country?
The wide availability of guns is a necessary, but not a sufficient condition for America's epidemic of violence. You don't see this in Switzerland or Czechia. American society is just deeply broken and it's only getting worse. Insane political, religious, ethnic and culture war (relevant in this case...) polarization, the breakdown of social cohesion, the opioid epidemic, and the massive differences between rich and poor all seem to be relevant factors to me.
RFK 2024
BasedSanta
Canada

« Reply #169 on: March 28, 2023, 12:10:51 PM »

To be fair, mass killings have also increased in frequency in Canada, which has much stricter gun laws.  Several of these have involved firearms.

Just in the last few years we have seen...

Dec 8/22: 6 killed by gun in Vaughan, Ontario
Sep 4/22: 11 killed by knife in Saskatchewan
Jun 6/22: 4 killed by truck in London, Ontario
Apr 18/20: 22 killed by gun in Nova Scotia
Apr 15/19: 4 killed by gun in Penticton, BC
Jul 22/18: 2 killed and 15 injured by gun in Toronto
Apr 23/18: 11 killed by truck in Toronto
Jan 29/17: 6 killed by gun in Quebec City

So to say that it is entirely unique to the United States is not true.  That said, these events do occur with greater frequency in America due to the country's lax firearm laws and overall "gun culture" that doesn't exist in other Western states.  But I think there is more at play here.

Would passing legislation to ban these guns prevent these shootings, or is violence and gun culture so engrained in the American psyche that these laws would end up being ignored?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #170 on: March 28, 2023, 12:20:40 PM »

ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #171 on: March 28, 2023, 12:34:55 PM »
« Edited: March 28, 2023, 12:38:42 PM by ηєω ƒяσηтιєя »

To be fair, mass killings have also increased in frequency in Canada, which has much stricter gun laws.  Several of these have involved firearms.

Just in the last few years we have seen...

Dec 8/22: 6 killed by gun in Vaughan, Ontario
Sep 4/22: 11 killed by knife in Saskatchewan
Jun 6/22: 4 killed by truck in London, Ontario
Apr 18/20: 22 killed by gun in Nova Scotia
Apr 15/19: 4 killed by gun in Penticton, BC
Jul 22/18: 2 killed and 15 injured by gun in Toronto
Apr 23/18: 11 killed by truck in Toronto
Jan 29/17: 6 killed by gun in Quebec City
The Vaughn shooting (while still horrific) was a targeted shooting over a legal dispute (and a mentally ill shooter). It wasn't the randomized kind of mass shooting that people are more worried about.

You are correct that Canada isn't immune from gun violence or mass shootings. Still way better than the US by far - it's not even close.

So to say that it is entirely unique to the United States is not true.  That said, these events do occur with greater frequency in America due to the country's lax firearm laws and overall "gun culture" that doesn't exist in other Western states.  But I think there is more at play here.

Would passing legislation to ban these guns prevent these shootings, or is violence and gun culture so engrained in the American psyche that these laws would end up being ignored?
My hypothesis:

*American gun culture (the gun worshipping and 2nd Amendment absolutism from many Americans)

*Mental illness problems (lack of adequate treatment for mentally ill Americans and mentally ill people can still legally buy guns)

*Hyper-individualism (this toxic mindset of selfishness and a lack of empathy for others is way too persuasive in the American ethos)

All of these 3 things combined with the higher availability of guns to create the gun violence/mass shooting problem here in America.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #172 on: March 28, 2023, 12:38:39 PM »

The wide availability of guns is a necessary, but not a sufficient condition for America's epidemic of violence. You don't see this in Switzerland or Czechia. American society is just deeply broken and it's only getting worse. Insane political, religious, ethnic and culture war (relevant in this case...) polarization, the breakdown of social cohesion, the opioid epidemic, and the massive differences between rich and poor all seem to be relevant factors to me.

...So then yes, Americans are fundamentally worse than non-Americans?

What a grim, pessimistic perspective to have.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #173 on: March 28, 2023, 12:38:54 PM »

The shooter changed targets because of school security, evidence that we need armed guards in schools 📈📈📈
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #174 on: March 28, 2023, 12:52:46 PM »

The shooter changed targets because of school security, evidence that we need armed guards in schools 📈📈📈

That sure worked well for Parkland Florida…
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies