DeSantis signs Tort Reform Bill into Law that greatly changes FL civil lawsuit system (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:31:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DeSantis signs Tort Reform Bill into Law that greatly changes FL civil lawsuit system (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DeSantis signs Tort Reform Bill into Law that greatly changes FL civil lawsuit system  (Read 932 times)
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« on: March 26, 2023, 05:37:50 PM »

The litigious nature of the average American meat blob must be reined in. Good to see DeSantis is trying to stop lawyers from further enriching themselves.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2023, 07:08:19 PM »

The real solution is to impose a maximum wage on lawyers. As a lawyer I would happily support a maximum wage. Most lawyers are sickenly money-crazed.

I think the opposite would be a more effective reform - make their base salary so absurdly high that there's basically no incentive for them to take on frivolous lawsuits.
What kind of threshold do you think would be suitable for this approach?

Probably $1,000,000? I dunno, I think you could probably have an economist actually crunch the numbers on it to find out what the optimal salary would be.

"Pfft, a $15 minimum wage isn't a slippery slope to a $75 minimum wage. Don't be ridiculous. Anyway, here's my idea to pay all lawyers a million dollars..."
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2023, 12:03:26 PM »

The real solution is to impose a maximum wage on lawyers. As a lawyer I would happily support a maximum wage. Most lawyers are sickenly money-crazed.

I think the opposite would be a more effective reform - make their base salary so absurdly high that there's basically no incentive for them to take on frivolous lawsuits.
What kind of threshold do you think would be suitable for this approach?

Probably $1,000,000? I dunno, I think you could probably have an economist actually crunch the numbers on it to find out what the optimal salary would be.
If a base salary of a lawyer is a million dollars, then they would be in the top 1% of households.

Yes, they would.

We should pay members of Congress $1M salaries for the same reason. Pay them enough that it becomes absolutely pointless to try and bribe them.

Right, because as we know, once humans reach a certain level of wealth they just stop wanting more.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2023, 03:35:05 PM »

Right, because as we know, once humans reach a certain level of wealth they just stop wanting more.

You're right, that's why a millionaire is just as likely to commit an armed robbery as someone living in poverty.

Millionaires steal all the time. They just do it using different means.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2023, 04:17:27 PM »

200k is big money. Anyone who thinks that is not enough live comfortably is an asshole.

It's hard for me to comprehend how out-of-touch someone would have to be to think that a $200k salary is so inherently low that anyone earning it will still be tempted to seek bribes, but someone earning $1,000,000 won't. The problem is not the salary. It's the venal leeches themselves.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies