Would King Charles III be hailed if he fixed the Israeli-Palestinian conflict? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:21:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Would King Charles III be hailed if he fixed the Israeli-Palestinian conflict? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Would King Charles III be hailed if he fixed the Israeli-Palestinian conflict?  (Read 548 times)
The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

« on: March 26, 2023, 11:28:43 PM »
« edited: March 26, 2023, 11:32:11 PM by Ontario Liber-toryan »

Didn't Britain create the Israeli-Palestinian crisis? They should fix it....and Charles being in the public image state he is in should work with the UK government and US government and find a MidEast peace deal once and for all....

He'd be useful for once.

I see where you're coming from, but I don't think either side would appreciate the idea of a British monarch (of all people) meddling in their affairs, even if his heart is in the right place.

I also question the commonly accepted idea that the British are primarily to blame for the dispute over the holy land. They certainly made matters worse by making untenable promises to both sides, but the real catalyst of the conflict, I would argue, was the advent of the Zionist movement in the 1890s (before British rule). And I say this as someone who generally supports Israel - but the very idea of a Jewish state in the holy land made the conflict inevitable. Like, I just can't envision a scenario where the local majority-Arab population would have willingly conceded their land to people who they saw as outsiders, nor do I see a scenario where the Jewish population would have wanted to set up the Israeli state anywhere other than their ancestral homeland (and even if far-fetched ideas like a Jewish state in Madagascar had been realized, there would have been ethnic conflict, because a Jewish state anywhere other than the holy land would have even less of a claim to legitimacy).

Maybe there's an alternate universe where no Jewish state exists, which would mean this conflict would never happen. Maybe if the holocaust never happened, Jews would just be a minority population scattered around the world with no state of their own. But the Holocaust deeply traumatized Jews (and non-Jews for that matter) around the world and strengthened the case for a Jewish state.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies