Would King Charles III be hailed if he fixed the Israeli-Palestinian conflict?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:27:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Would King Charles III be hailed if he fixed the Israeli-Palestinian conflict?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Would King Charles III be hailed if he fixed the Israeli-Palestinian conflict?  (Read 521 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 26, 2023, 03:27:48 PM »

Charles is not popular, never will be. I personally think he will be the LAST British monarch.

Didn't Britain create the Israeli-Palestinian crisis? They should fix it....and Charles being in the public image state he is in should work with the UK government and US government and find a MidEast peace deal once and for all....

He'd be useful for once.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2023, 04:04:47 PM »

Excellent idea. Real Britons are chomping at the bit for him to convert to Catholicism, convince Francis to announce the 10th crusade ("I swear it will work this time") and unite Israelis and Palestinians against us.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2023, 04:21:10 PM »

Looks like bronz picked a bad week to keep sniffing glue.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2023, 05:09:47 PM »

Excellent idea. Real Britons are chomping at the bit for him to convert to Catholicism, convince Francis to announce the 10th crusade ("I swear it will work this time") and unite Israelis and Palestinians against us.

Charles the Lionheart can simply invade Cyprus, and solve the crisis there as well. (Although hed better hope Andrew doesn't try and usurp power while he's away).
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2023, 05:14:01 PM »

Charles the Lionheart can simply invade Cyprus, and solve the crisis there as well. (Although hed better hope Andrew doesn't try and usurp power while he's away).
History repeats itself!
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2023, 05:40:22 PM »

It's a serious question. Why doesn't Britain help fix the problem they helped create, especially in the 20th century when Britain controlled Palestine until 1948.

LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2023, 06:16:47 PM »

Is it accurate to say that the British "created" the Israeli Palestinian conflict?
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2023, 06:21:53 PM »

I’m afraid there’s just not space in His Majesty’s schedule to bring peace to the Middle East this year.

The King is committed to ending world hunger in 2023, and 2024 is taken up with getting the manned Mars programme off the ground. There might be some free time in 2025, but I hear there’s talk of him being brought onboard to get nuclear fusion back on-track.

Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2023, 07:15:32 PM »

Charles is not popular, never will be. I personally think he will be the LAST British monarch.

Didn't Britain create the Israeli-Palestinian crisis? They should fix it....and Charles being in the public image state he is in should work with the UK government and US government and find a MidEast peace deal once and for all....

He'd be useful for once.

The only way I could see this is if there were a second Scottish independence referendum and the pro-independence side won - which doesn't seem especially likely right now. Because then he would cease to be the British monarch and just be the English monarch. And heck, even then there might still be a personal union with him as King of Scotland as well; not really sure how Scotland would vote on a republic referendum.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2023, 11:06:24 PM »

Is it accurate to say that the British "created" the Israeli Palestinian conflict?

https://www.aljazeera.com/features/2018/4/10/how-britain-destroyed-the-palestinian-homeland

Yes......
The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2023, 11:28:43 PM »
« Edited: March 26, 2023, 11:32:11 PM by Ontario Liber-toryan »

He'd be useful for once.

I see where you're coming from, but I don't think either side would appreciate the idea of a British monarch (of all people) meddling in their affairs, even if his heart is in the right place.

I also question the commonly accepted idea that the British are primarily to blame for the dispute over the holy land. They certainly made matters worse by making untenable promises to both sides, but the real catalyst of the conflict, I would argue, was the advent of the Zionist movement in the 1890s (before British rule). And I say this as someone who generally supports Israel - but the very idea of a Jewish state in the holy land made the conflict inevitable. Like, I just can't envision a scenario where the local majority-Arab population would have willingly conceded their land to people who they saw as outsiders, nor do I see a scenario where the Jewish population would have wanted to set up the Israeli state anywhere other than their ancestral homeland (and even if far-fetched ideas like a Jewish state in Madagascar had been realized, there would have been ethnic conflict, because a Jewish state anywhere other than the holy land would have even less of a claim to legitimacy).

Maybe there's an alternate universe where no Jewish state exists, which would mean this conflict would never happen. Maybe if the holocaust never happened, Jews would just be a minority population scattered around the world with no state of their own. But the Holocaust deeply traumatized Jews (and non-Jews for that matter) around the world and strengthened the case for a Jewish state.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2023, 11:41:38 PM »

I thought Jared Kushner already did that.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2023, 11:43:24 PM »

Jared Kushner's name will appear in the history books as the man who forever solved the conflicts between Israelis and Palestinians.
They will put up a statue up in his honor in Jerusalem.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2023, 11:47:22 PM »

Anyway it would seem the major conflict at the moment is between the Israelis and their Prime Minister.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2023, 12:59:03 AM »
« Edited: March 27, 2023, 02:21:32 AM by Command of what? There's no one here. »

Anyway it would seem the major conflict at the moment is between the Israelis and their Prime Minister.

Would Charles be hailed if he dismissed Bibi and invited Lapid to the Palace to kiss hands?

Would he be hailed more or less if he did it to Bibi than if he did it to Sunak?

Would Lapid becoming Britain's second Jewish PM be terrible news for Ed Miliband?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2023, 04:03:19 AM »

I was told that Tony Blair was going to do it after he left office. Its only 16 years ago now.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2023, 05:15:18 PM »

I was told that Tony Blair was going to do it after he left office. Its only 16 years ago now.

He and Bill Clinton were both supposed to do it dammit! Just like they single-handedly solved Northern Ireland.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies