Should TikTok be banned and if so why?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 09:34:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should TikTok be banned and if so why?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Pick a reason
Yes, the app is inherently harmful and dangerous by its very design

Yes, China is using the app to manipulate/hurt people and spread anti-American propaganda

Yes, China should not have access to that kind of data about Americans

Yes, even if it's not sharing data with China now, it's too big of a future national security risk.

Yes, but if it was broken up and American operations were owned by an American company, it would be OK.

Yes, but if its data was stored on American soil, it would be OK.

Yes (other)

No, TikTok isn't doing anything wrong.

No, TikTok is sharing data with China but I'm ok with that.

No, TikTok is a dangerous self-harm and foreign propaganda machine, but this is a free country.

No (other)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 90

Author Topic: Should TikTok be banned and if so why?  (Read 1247 times)
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2023, 02:26:05 PM »

Have Facebook, or some other US/European country buyout Tiktok.
THKL
Rookie
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2023, 04:15:49 PM »
« Edited: March 27, 2023, 06:09:56 PM by THKL »

No why do you think Tiffany Griner was freed Nike Town and Chinese Food Chop Suey commerce in US it's no coincidence China hasn't attacked Taiwan we trade with China and Singapore and Philippines and Japan cell phones and Laptop and Toyota

Bruce Lee wasn't Japanese eventhough all of them are Mongolian even Arabs and Latinos cone from. Asia they just don't have slanted eyes bur some Latinos do have slanted eyes and so do Samoans Asian came from Light skin Egypt Blks and Hebrew Queens

They said Jesus made us God made blks and Jesus since he was a Hebrew made white race

I wear a 12 gym shoe but have to get a 14 because Chinese shoes are smaller than American same with jerseys you have to get them bigger

We never went to Nuke war China over Vietnam because we had Bruce Lee whom protest against Nam
It’s a bad sign when OC makes more sense than most of Atlas on an issue.
This. Honestly, I think TikTok is one of the absolute dumbest websites on the Internet and I never have and never will use it, but with that caveat aside I think it is completely disgusting and extremely disturbing that their is such a “Bipartisan” consensus in favor of banning it. I understand why racist Republicans who are shilling the “New Cold War” narrative over the Yellow Peril/Red Scare “China threat”, and who are vengeful against anything associated with Young Progressives but it is frankly pathetic that half the Democrats (sadly including Biden himself) seem to be willing to join in on this sh**t, due to being scared of being accused of being “ChiCom puppets”.

Sadly, the Republicans are going to absurdly accuse Democrats of being controlled by “Communist” China no matter how much they parrot Republican Yellow Peril/Red Scare “China threat” bullsh**t, despite the fact it was the Republican Richard Nixon who normalized relations with China in 1972, and it was Republican George W Bush who let China into the WTO, thus causing the outsourcing of millions of high-paying Unionized Factory jobs to Chinese Sweatshops which Republicans gleefully cheered on as a wonder of the “Free Market” and “Free Trade” until Trump (who himself has bank accounts in China and made his sh**tty hats, ties, and shoes in Chinese sweatshops) did a 180 in 2016 and started promoting the Yellow Peril/Red Scare “China threat” bullsh**t in order to win gullible Midwesterners (who never got their jobs back as even if the US decouples it’s supply chains from China, they just shift production to Indian sweatshops or have it fully Automated) and create a scary Non-White/Western/Christian “Communist” bogeyman to justify turning the US into a dictatorship, along with the Ironic fact that China is no longer Communist anymore and instead has the same Neoliberal Capitalist economic policy, draconian treatment of minorities, and Authoritarian political system that Republicans want to create in the US using the fear of them.

Finally, if the Democrats (including Biden) go along with this, they will tragically be implementing the same internet censorship policies that China themselves have, be giving Republicans the toolbox they need to censor the internet if they win next year and attempt to turn the US into a Putinist-style dictatorship, will be eliminating a key tool used by Young Progressives to get out the vote, and will cause millions of young voters to sit out of the election and torpedo Biden’s reelection over the US government’s efforts to shut down most social media with this and the “Bipartisan” Section 230 repeal (I will still vote for Biden no matter what because he is the obvious Lesser Evil to any Republican, but many young people I know have said this TikTok ban and the Section 230 repeal will make them sit out in mass), Cry Sad 🤢🤮!
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2023, 04:34:01 PM »

A shockingly high number of Atlas users aren’t either complete jingoistic tools, edgelords who project the feelings over rejection from high school prom onto hating everything young women use, or bought out with some Zuck Bucks yet.

Atlas is outlandishly sexist at times, but wanting to ban TikTok is not an example of that.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2023, 02:38:56 PM »

I am potentially open to some of the arguments against TikTok involving its collection and storage of data in the hands of a foreign government. The recent Mark Warner bill trying to do this, however, I am much more skeptical of. It seems to have some extraneous provisions that go a lot further than they need to; in particular there's a bit that sets up a potential 20 year prison sentence for using a VPN to access a banned site or app. I think this is a very bad notion in general but also I'm specifically worried about the government applying this against people accessing libgen or scihub or the like.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2023, 03:51:17 PM »

Most people who favor banning it are nothing more than the modern, digital equivalents of the old man shaking his fist screaming 'get off my lawn' at kids for skateboarding on the sidewalk, and have no real rationale beyond 'kids today suck, my generation was better'
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2023, 04:42:03 PM »

Did you miss the trans terrorist attack?  Tik Tok is ground zero for this stuff.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2023, 05:19:47 PM »

Its social media, that in of itself means it is destructive. Not sure being a worthless virus infecting society turning everyone into brainwashed zombies is something to ban necessarily but I would be happy to see it go. That said, banning it wouldnt even do anything. If you cannot enforce it, bans dont really do anything anyway. Anyone who would let a ban stop them wasnt going to use it in the first placr.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2023, 07:11:12 PM »

https://maristpoll.marist.edu/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/NPR_PBS-NewsHour_Marist-Poll_USA-NOS-and-Tables_Politics_202303241329.pdf

The majority of Americans hate the platform that gave me an internship this summer. The vast majority of Americans HATE my existence, so I am forced to return the favor. I can’t do much other than complain, but I do have my ballot.

Once this passes, I am voting for and endorsing Trump or whoever the GOP nominee is for president in 2024. I also support the GOP in Congress and will be voting straight Republican. I can’t do much individually, but I have faith in the GOP and the American people‘s stupidity.

I will do what I can and lend any skills necessary to GOP causes in social media given my experience if I have the time in 2024 as well.
This is not trolling. I am beyond disappointed and have no other choice. Thank you Atlas and thank you America.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2023, 07:44:21 PM »

https://maristpoll.marist.edu/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/NPR_PBS-NewsHour_Marist-Poll_USA-NOS-and-Tables_Politics_202303241329.pdf

The majority of Americans hate the platform that gave me an internship this summer. The vast majority of Americans HATE my existence, so I am forced to return the favor. I can’t do much other than complain, but I do have my ballot.

Once this passes, I am voting for and endorsing Trump or whoever the GOP nominee is for president in 2024. I also support the GOP in Congress and will be voting straight Republican. I can’t do much individually, but I have faith in the GOP and the American people‘s stupidity.

I will do what I can and lend any skills necessary to GOP causes in social media given my experience if I have the time in 2024 as well.
This is not trolling. I am beyond disappointed and have no other choice. Thank you Atlas and thank you America.

Lmao, the fact that anyone encountered your behavior on the internet and interpreted it as an indication that you'd be a good candidate for an internship reflects very poorly on them.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2023, 07:46:56 PM »

Lmao, the fact that anyone encountered your behavior on the internet and interpreted it as an indication that you'd be a good candidate for an internship reflects very poorly on them.
I mean you basically are here confirming you want me to starve and die in the street without work. Why should I pretend you aren’t literally implying this now?
And since you do, why shouldn’t I respond in reciprocity?
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2023, 07:49:07 PM »

Did you miss the trans terrorist attack?  Tik Tok is ground zero for this stuff.

TIL people doing dances and skits and such leads to mass shootings
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2023, 07:50:22 PM »

I mean you basically are here confirming you want me to starve and die without work. Why should I pretend you aren’t literally implying this now?

Seek help, man. Or at the very least get a job. If you're too good to work anywhere then fine, starve. That's life. I've had to find new jobs to escape unpleasant circumstances too and you don't see me doing weird performance art on an obscure political forum because of it.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2023, 07:52:33 PM »

"Based on what you have seen or heard, do you support
or oppose the federal government banning the social
media platform TikTok?"
Generation Approve Disapprove Unsure
Gen Z/Millennials 48% 51% 1%
Gen X 61% 32% 7%
Baby Boomers 66% 26% 8%
Silent/Greatest 61% 14% 25%

This is a rather large generational gap.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2023, 07:53:29 PM »
« Edited: March 29, 2023, 07:59:00 PM by Forumlurker »

I mean you basically are here confirming you want me to starve and die without work. Why should I pretend you aren’t literally implying this now?

Seek help, man. Or at the very least get a job. If you're too good to work anywhere then fine, starve. That's life. I've had to find new jobs to escape unpleasant circumstances too and you don't see me doing weird performance art on an obscure political forum because of it.
I had one bad it looks like the American people will take it away from me. You don’t f**king think I’ve been applying my **s off everywhere??? You don’t think I’ve spent countless time in the pursuit, you don’t think I’ve gone interview after interview? It’s one thing to lose a job, it’s another when the entire country wants you to lose it for no good reason. I am just being as kind as I can be in return.

If I had stable f**king employment that could pay for s**t you think I would care about this?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2023, 07:58:55 PM »

An internship isn't a real job anyway.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2023, 08:02:46 PM »
« Edited: March 29, 2023, 08:07:00 PM by Forumlurker »

Yeah well I’m a f**king full time college student too. But this is important for me to even have a chance of getting employment afterwards in this s**t country. Besides what else am I going to do now this summer if I do get my offer rescinded because of this? Sure I can work at a Starbucks and that’s what I would do, but it would certainly not help so much in the industry.
Id love a real job and I sincerely hope I have one when I graduate, that’s why I care so much about this s**t now, not everyone wants to waste their f**king life in college.

Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2023, 08:08:36 PM »

Yeah well I’m a f**king full time college student too. But this is important for me to even have a chance of getting employment afterwards in this s**t country. Besides what else am I going to do now this summer if I do get my offer rescinded because of this? Sure I can work at a Starbucks and that’s what I would do, but it would certainly not help so much in the industry.
Id love a real job and I sincerely hope I have one when I graduate, that’s why I care so much about this s**t now, not everyone wants to waste their f**king life in college.

I put so much into this, I poured my mental energy into this project and it worked. Only for everything to be ripped away the very last second. Was it a fun experience that taught me a lot yes…but how the f**k can I put that on a resume?

Just lie.  Anyway, manual labor builds character - You shouldn't spend all your time staring at a screen.  Construction is always going to be in demand.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2023, 08:16:44 PM »

I put so much into this, I poured my mental energy into this project and it worked. Only for everything to be ripped away the very last second. Was it a fun experience that taught me a lot yes…but how the f**k can I put that on a resume?

Just lie.  Anyway, manual labor builds character - You shouldn't spend all your time staring at a screen.  Construction is always going to be in demand.
1. I’m literally epileptic, while some manual labor I could do, it would be a BIG liability and risk to me and others around me. And lying isn’t even enough these days. I actually had an edge, something I did that made me stand out, and now I have f**king nothing.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2023, 08:20:35 PM »

Just lie.  Anyway, manual labor builds character - You shouldn't spend all your time staring at a screen.  Construction is always going to be in demand.
1. I’m literally epileptic, while some manual labor I could do, it would be a BIG liability and risk to me and others around me. And lying isn’t even enough these days. I actually had an edge, something I did that made me stand out, and now I have f**king nothing.

You need to take a deep breath.  TikTok isn't banned yet.  If it is, you'll find a different job.  Companies aren't going to blacklist you because you interned at Tiktok... Very few Americans go through their career without ever being laid off and/or fired.  It sucks but its part of having a career, you just get back on your feet, learn from it, and find something else.
THKL
Rookie
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2023, 09:43:27 PM »

If Biden is foolish enough to sign the RESTRICT ACT into law that will not just ban TikTok to appease Racist Republican Sinophobes, but will usher in full-blown Fascist Censorship that will ironically make the US internet no different then China’s “Great Firewall” by throwing internet users in prison for 20 years for using a VPN to access a website from any country that Xenophobic Rascist boomer Neocon Congresscritters don’t like, that will provide the toolbox for Republicans to transform the US into a Fascist Police State if they win in 2024, then you will see millions of Young Progressives boycott the 2024 election in order to sabotage Biden’s re-election, and even though I will still vote for him as a “Lesser Evil” to any Republican, I can’t blame others for choosing to sit out in protest of Biden pathetically shredding the First Amendment by signing the “Bipartisan” Restrict Act, 🤢🤮!
Pink Panther

« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2023, 11:07:53 PM »

No, but as Xing and other have already pointed out, there should be regulations protecting user data on social media as a whole, as well as it being paramount that American operations turn over to American/American ally ownership. I don't trust the CCP one bit.

If Biden is foolish enough to sign the RESTRICT ACT into law that will not just ban TikTok to appease Racist Republican Sinophobes, but will usher in full-blown Fascist Censorship that will ironically make the US internet no different then China’s “Great Firewall” by throwing internet users in prison for 20 years for using a VPN to access a website from any country that Xenophobic Rascist boomer Neocon Congresscritters don’t like, that will provide the toolbox for Republicans to transform the US into a Fascist Police State if they win in 2024, then you will see millions of Young Progressives boycott the 2024 election in order to sabotage Biden’s re-election, and even though I will still vote for him as a “Lesser Evil” to any Republican, I can’t blame others for choosing to sit out in protest of Biden pathetically shredding the First Amendment by signing the “Bipartisan” Restrict Act, 🤢🤮!

A shockingly high number of Atlas users aren’t either complete jingoistic tools, edgelords who project the feelings over rejection from high school prom onto hating everything young women use, or bought out with some Zuck Bucks yet.

I think I lost brain cells reading these posts.
U got it bro
United States
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2023, 09:10:10 AM »

I support a lighter ban than the one proposed. Get it off government devices and make apple/samsung/ etc pay more if they keep it on the app store.

Also, so the same with isps and cell data services. Make them pay if they don’t ban access.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2023, 12:58:05 PM »

Yes, mainly due to national security reasons. I believe those agencies in charge, here in the USA, about possible security risks.
But this comment also holds some water ...

The main reason to ban it is for retaliatory protectionism.  Other countries may restrict what American social media can put on but still allow them to profit. China simply bans American social media even if they were to abide by their rules.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies