Why are Hurricanes Irene and Sandy not Category 5?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:12:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Why are Hurricanes Irene and Sandy not Category 5?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why are Hurricanes Irene and Sandy not Category 5?  (Read 436 times)
Plankton5165

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 23, 2023, 09:01:56 PM »

Hurricane Sandy denied my mother power for a week (which she said was the worst of her life) and my father power for like 5 days. Hurricane Irene could’ve denied my family the return to NJ from FL vacation, and did deny my sister’s friend power for an entire month.

These two hurricanes were among the costliest in history. But these are Category 3 hurricanes, not Category 5 like Rita, Wilma, Katrina, and Matthew. Why? I don’t get it.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2023, 09:19:59 PM »

Because they didn't have the wind speed. They were so destructive because NJ isn't really built that well against hurricanes because of the rarity.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2023, 11:07:33 PM »

Hurricane Sandy denied my mother power for a week (which she said was the worst of her life) and my father power for like 5 days. Hurricane Irene could’ve denied my family the return to NJ from FL vacation, and did deny my sister’s friend power for an entire month.

These two hurricanes were among the costliest in history. But these are Category 3 hurricanes, not Category 5 like Rita, Wilma, Katrina, and Matthew. Why? I don’t get it.

Category 5 doesn't refer to damage, it refers to the top sustained wind speed exceeding 155 miles per hour.

Worth pointing out Categories 3-5 are all called "Major hurricanes," and a category 3 or 4 is no joke just because the wind doesn't quite hit that threshold.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2023, 11:09:11 PM »

The damage that a hurricane does is not measured purely by wind speeds but by a mix of other factors, including where it hits.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies